Csx Mountain Subdivision/b&o West End Subdivision: Cumberland, Md To Grafton, Wv

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I would like to send another route proposal to DTG as well as the 3rd party devs: the CSX Mountain Subdivision/B&O West End Subdivision. The CSX Mountain Subdivision/B&O West End Subdivision. Originally owned and run by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the Mountain Sub runs 102 miles from Cumberland, MD to Grafton, WV. The route would also include the famous 17-Mile Grade from Altamont, MD to Piedmont, WV. The 17-Mile Grade reaches an altitude of over 2,600 feet with grades as steep as 2.5%!

The Mountain Subdivision (originally named the West End Subdivision during the B&O days) was opened in 1852 as part of the B&O's main line. In 1904 the B&O built the Patterson Creek Cutoff to alleviate congestion in its Cumberland Yard. The cutoff line ran from McKenzie, MD to Patterson Creek, WV, providing a bypass of the yard for coal trains moving between Keyser and Brunswick, MD.

During the 1970's, ownership of the subdivision passed from the B&O to the Chessie System, which closed the Patterson Creek Cutoff. The Chessie System was eventually merged into CSX in the early 1980's.

At its east end, the Mountain Subdivision becomes the Cumberland Terminal Subdivision at Beall Street. It junctions the Thomas Subdivision twice – near Keyser, WV, and near Piedmont, WV – and meets the Fairmont Subdivision near its west end at Grafton. At its west end, it continues as the Bridgeport Subdivision. The Mountain Subdivision's summit is at Altamont, MD, at the west end of the Seventeen Mile Grade; the grade's east end is at Piedmont, WV.

Like many other CSX lines in West Virginia and Maryland, the Mountain Subdivision sees large amount of coal traffic. However, it doesn't just see coal traffic; it also sees a few manifests and possibly a few locals. Although it sees a fair amount of freight traffic, it does not see any passenger service.

For those who like hauling freight and the challenge of climbing up and down steep grades, this would probably be a perfect route in Train Simulator! I think it shall be set in today's modern CSX era, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing it set in the days of the B&O or perhaps the Chessie System.

If it were set in the CSX era, I think it should include a variety of CSX power, such as the big and powerful ES44AH, the SD70MAC (with flared radiators), the old yet versatile SD40-2, and the old yet versatile GP38-2.

If it were set in the days of the B&O, I think it should be set in either the transition or early diesel era. For the early diesel era, it shall include the EMD F3, the EMD F7, the EMD GP7, the EMD GP9, the EMD SD7, the EMD SD9, and/or maybe perhaps the EMD FT.

If it were set in the days of the Chessie System, I think it shall include the EMD GP38, the EMD GP40(-2), the EMD SD40(-2), many of which originally came from the B&O.

If you have any other suggestions or preferences for the CSX Mountain Sub, drop them down in the comments below!

• Like Like x 6
  2. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Do not forget the CW44AC, it's unfortunate they haven't been introduced yet to TS, just use the TSW model DTG.
    I think both a (reasonably) weathered YN2 and a fresh YN3 paint job would do wonders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Gibbs

Searchlight is planning on making a CSX AC4400. Right now, there's no telling when the work on it will begin or when it'll be released.

https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/dev-data-index

• Like Like x 1
  4. NEC Railfan

At least it's second on the TBA priority list after UP. I'm gonna wait on the AC44 until then, as that would have the most value for myself.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. treid09

treid09 Guest

Great suggestion, Daniel! I am always in for some more CSX, especially some heavy duty mountain territory.

Here's something you might be interested in. TruRail Simulations has almost finished a CSX bundle that includes a lot of top-notch CSX stuff, including a CSX AC4400CW (kind of: it is a heavily modified Dash 9.) TruRail Simulations - Home | Facebook

This route would be a great addition to the game. God bless and take care!

treid09

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Gibbs

Until a true AC4400 comes out, you just gotta improvise somehow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Fun fact, if what I looked at is correct, part of this line is used in the B&O Kingwood Branchline at Tunnelton. Maybe VNHRR could be interested in making the rest of this subdivision (Except in CSX or Chessies timeline).

• Like Like x 2
  8. NEC Railfan

I'm just looking around about this and apparently there's something called the "17-Mile Grade."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daniel Gibbs

You got it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This would be nice. I love this area of the country.
    We already have a portion of this route in TSW from Cumberland to Rockwood.

For locos, I would like to see a YN2 CSX AC4400CW, YN3 ES44AH, YN3b ET44AH, and YN3b SD40-3.

For an older version of the line (still in CSX era) I would pick a YN3 SD50, YN2 C40-8W, SD40-2 (YN3 or YN2) and SD60s (YN2 or YN3).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

No objection to more CSX. That route seems popular currently with the Hanover section.

12. treid09

treid09 Guest

Trurail is expanding their CSX bundle, as it now includes a YN3 and YN3b AC44. These would also be fun to run on this route!
    146439534_5289380861102832_7543979364840119184_o.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. NEC Railfan

My question though is, for the GE widecab units, are they using the Kuju ES44? If so, oh boy... :|

14. treid09

treid09 Guest

They are using the BNSF Dash 9. They've upgraded sound (using Searchlight sounds for the horns at least), physics, and have completely redone the outside with 4K textures and upgraded the cab as well. They actually had SS help them with their BNSF Dash 9 packs on their site as well, with SS giving them couplers, Kevin from SS doing the scripting, and using Anthony's sounds.

Having downloaded their Dash 9 pack, I can personally vouch for its quality, and I think that the AC44 will great as well :D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Thanks for mentioning TruRail. Literally knew nothing about them, just now finding their site. Another freeware hub. Looks like I'll be busy substituting trains into the various scenarios I play.

• Like Like x 2
  16. treid09

treid09 Guest

No problem, glad to help!

• Like Like x 1
  17. treid09

treid09 Guest

I'm all about the older CSX. 50's and 60's are some of my favorite locomotives of all time. They look good, sound good, pull good.....

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daniel Gibbs

I thought of another suggestion. I think the CSX Mountain Sub could also be set in the '90's and include a variety of classic power in schemes from Grey to YN2, such as the C40-8(W)the SD40-2, the GP38-2, the GP40-2, or even the U30C and U36B. Plus, it would include the classic B&O Color-Position Target Signals.

• Like Like x 2
  19. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

you have my support for this route

• Like Like x 1
  20. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

21. Daniel Gibbs

• Like Like x 4
  22. NEC Railfan

Haha!!! We did it! I think.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cyclone

Achievement unlocked - "I submitted this"

• Like Like x 4
  24. Daniel Gibbs

Yeah! I'd say one of my proposals was answered! And all I can say is, "Thank you, High Iron Simulations!"

• Like Like x 2
  25. itstypicalrailfanner16

itstypicalrailfanner16 Active Member

Sorry, not sorry, for replying to a 1-year old thread, but SS is working on a UP AC4400CW right now.

26. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

-Modern CSX Diesels
    -MP15 for switching
    -SD70ACe
    -ST70AH (SD70ACe-T4)
    -CW60AC/ES46AH (CSX CW60AC with GEVO-16 Prime Mover)
    -C40-8W
    -GP60
    -SD80MAC
    -CSX F40PHs for the CSX Business Train
    -SD40-3
    -GP38-3

Chessie Locos:
    -U30C
    -GP40-2
    -SD40-2
    -GP30
    -GP35
    -SD50

-B&O Locos:
    -EM-1 Yellowstone (for a steam-era route)
    -Baldwin RF16 Sharknose
    -Alco FA2/FB2
    -E8 A/B
    -GP30
    -GP35
    -GP40/GP40-2