Db Br 143 | Riesa - Dresden | Throttle Lock

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Sep 10, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'm curious: the throttle is locked as long as indicated BC is not zero. Unlike the DB BR 146, where the brake lever in the Running position is enough to apply power.

Is this prototypical?
    Just asking!

PS both 143 & 146 are so good now \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

solved \o/
    source

• Like Like x 2
  3. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Not at all. You can start on hills by releasing the train brakes *and*:

1. Keep direct brake applied to ≤ 1.2 bar

*OR*

2. Release all brakes but move the "Anfahr Bremse" button downwards.

Both of these options will disengage the traction lock and let you notch up/increase AFB. IRL you should not keep the direct brakes applied more than 10 seconds while power is applied.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. cwf.green

Maybe someone can test this (if these tests fail the BR143 is not acting prototypically):

1. Move train brake to "Running" and wait for brake cylinder pressure to drop below 1.2 bar (Doors need to be closed)
    2. Apply direct/loco brake to 1.2 bar or less
    3. Move AFB lever to a speed above zero or manually increase the notch, does the locomotive gain traction?
    4. Cut the power, release loco brake and move the "Brake Bridging"/"Bremse Überbrucken" switch down ("Apply brakes"/"Anfahr Bremse"), brake cylinder pressure should increase to 1.2 bar
    5. Repeat step 3.

IRL the tractive effort will increase for both (3) and (5). It does this for me but maybe other people are experiencing a bug?

• Like Like x 2
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In order for a train to move, BC must be zero. Until then, the AFB lever must be in the OFF position or as described by Lamplight :)

6. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

The in-game captions on this switch seem to be the wrong way around (the captions in the train model seem to be correct, apart from the missing second Umlaut in "Überbrückung"). But it appears to work and allows you to move the AFB lever from Off to On and further without locking the traction, even if there is pressure in the brake cylinders.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cwf.green

Yep. I reported the mis-match of the captions to DTG, before.

I actually got some new information from drivers and apparently the Bremse Überbrückung can be used for hill starts as well. This seems to have been the original (before 1990) way to perform hill starts with the BR143. The reason why it can be used is before it disables brake monitoring and thus you can apply the brakes and still have traction enabled. After 1990 the Anfahr Bremse function was made available to use for hill starts as well, because it applies brake cylinder pressure (technically iirc it's based on the Vorsteuerdruck or "pilot pressure") below the brake monitoring threshold.

• Like Like x 5
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Is this modeled in-game?

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Very much doubt it. I haven‘t checked the DRA version, but for the RSN version, all of the programs (like Nur Fahren or Nur Bremsen etc.) were non-functional.

10. tygerways#2596

It is, at least you can use the switch (both positions) for a hill start, allowing you to apply power although the brakes are still on, and release them as soon as you are moving forward.

These programs (traction only, brake only, conditional run, including the program delete positon) are functional in Nahverkehr Dresden. I am just missing the (non-conditional) run function, but I am not sure if this paricular locomotive is supposed to have one.

At least this stuff worked for me, when I checked it out today in some random services.

11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Happy to report that I was mistaken. All of the programs and even the hillstart function as well as the brake bridging seem to be working on the DRA 143. I can‘t judge their accuracy before having a proper read through the 143 manual again, but it all seems to work.

This‘ll make the 143 a lot more fun to drive :D

12. tygerways#2596

Agreed. Whoever implemented those functions, amazing job!
    One can't stress enough that Nahverkehr Dresden (with all its bugs, glitches and hickups we keep discussing here) really is a beautiful, innovative, fun-to-play DLC with a lot of nice content and great features!

• Like Like x 1
  13. cwf.green

The "Anfahr Bremse" and "Bremse Überbrücken" functions are prototypical with one caveat, the "Bremse Überbrücken" function also disables pressure monitoring which means you can apply traction above the 1.2 bar brake cylinder pressure threshold by holding the lever in the up position. This last effect is not modeled in the game. If I were to have advised DTG on this (which I'm not saying I was) then perhaps it could be explained by me only finding this out about a week ago.

There should be another function modeled in the game which is that if you activate "Bremse Überbrücken" and then apply the indirect brake within 6 seconds, then the E-brake will not apply.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. cwf.green

Has anyone tested the BR143 after the update? It should be possible to get traction now when the brake cylinder pressure is ≤ 1.2 bar.

15. tygerways#2596

As far as I can see it still locks traction if you apply throttle, unless the brake cylinders are completely empty or you use the bridging switch (the in-game captions on which are still switched).