Db Pantograph Proposal

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by li150special, Aug 25, 2021.

1. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

German railways have a specific code for pantograph use, inter alia in cases where there are flammable goods behind the locomotive or for double-headed trains. In principle, this has been reflected in TSW2, with some minor glitches (e.g. AI 143 pushing and AI 182 pulling a dosto train have the wrong pantograph up; the newly-introduced double headers have both rear pantographs up where the front loco should use the front pantograph).

The rules can be found here (unfortunately, only in German): http://www.tf-ausbildung.de/BahnInfo/saeinstellungen.htm

Apart from (few) absolute No-Gos, there are some constellations which are used from time to time in practice. This may be for example because one pantograph is defective. I wonder if it would be possible for TSW2 to implement this to some extent, i.e. that AI trains adhere to the mandatory rules but, from time to time, use pantograph constellations which are not as common but used nevertheless, e.g. by using a random generator (for example, in one out of x cases it is assumed that the rear panto is defective and the AI train uses the front one instead).

I know that this may be serious anorak stuff but it could add some variety to the game.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah, this would be nice to see. I think if they did do the different, non-normal positions at random, the chance of it happening should a 1/25 or a 1/50 chance. Maybe even 1/100 or higher (not an expert on German railways, so not entirely sure how often it should be). But it should be at least relatively rare so that it's an interesting and rare catch if someone does indeed spot it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1