Diesel Railcar Simulator

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Jun 5, 2021.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Just saw this on steam. It is in early access I just wondered if anybody here has tried it and what they think?

2. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I have it, and although I've never actually driven any of the trains myself, (I prefer to let the ai drive), it's pretty good.

It has decent graphics, it comes with 4 routes I think, but there are more routes on the steam workshop.
    Also it comes with a route editor, so you can make your own routes.

Here's a video I made a while ago:

• Like Like x 3
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have it being a first generation DMU fan.

Pros are that It has good sounds and physics, and there are some interesting trains to drive.

The graphics are decent although I have to say not great but I think the sim is more geared towards realism of operation.

Against it for me are a lack of prototypical routes, the ones with the sim are freelance and some of the scenery doesn't look that British. Some of the DMU's chosen were quite restricted in their time period and where they ran.

They seem to have moved away from adding any more DMU's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Physics wise I think it's the best out there. It's simulated down to the different parts of the bogeys. They will shake and the independent parts move around as it rolls over rail joints and junctions. It is what made me get it, even though I really don't care about british trains.

This video is quite old by now, but just watch and see.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

I still run/build routes/stock etc for MSTS to be used on Open Rails so downloaded this to take a look. Refunded after 10 minutes..

The physics of how the train performs (against wobbly bogies) may be correct but are no different/better than MSTS/Open Rails as far as I could tell.
    Sounds are possibly better, though after 5 minutes of playing the Sim I gave up.
    Interesting trains? MSTS free downloads are full of every 1st generation class DMU. Early ones are 'dodgy', later ones are quite respectable. It does have 3D cabs although some people are now making 3D cab for MSTS models.
    Graphics/ scenery, compared to Open Rails, are terrible when compared to most routes built in the last 10 years.
    Route realism does not exist whereas at least MSTS has probably over 50% of the main lines in the UK covered and, the MSTS/OR activity editor actually shows up the TSW scenario editor as an embarrassment regarding being able to build 24 hour full timetables.

Of course, very few will play a 20 year old simulator because the graphics can't match the latest shiny simulators, you can't walk around finding collectables, or all the other periphials that have very little to do with a train simulator and, to get it working, you have to get 'your hands dirty' but MSTS/OR leave this one standing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

I know and like "Diesel Railcar Simulator" very much! I've been playing for over a year and honestly I spend more time with this game than with TSW2 :D My favorite route is St. Paddings Cross-Little Green.

I can recommend it to anyone for whom driving a train according to the schedule and procedures is more important than just watching the train and the scenery ;)

What I like the most about it is the representation of train traffic - AI trains are sometimes late, so you can never guarantee that the next signal will be clear. Of course, delayed AI trains can delay you and you will have to try to deal with that delay afterwards. Thanks to this trick, this game never gets boring and always requires attention while driving the train :)

The recreation of the DMU is so faithful that you can actually use the official materials and real procedures.
    There is an original tutorial video on Youtube. I also found an old manual in PDF.

There is also a timetable editor, a route editor and a train editor. If you don't like something - you can use them to fix it yourself. The community is working on new routes and as far as I know they have already managed to recreate a Wherry Lines from Norwich to Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

The sounds are very convincing, you can hear the rattling of the windows and even the chatter of passengers behind your back!

However, there is no weather nor seasons, and you can only drive your trains from dawn to dusk.

Passengers on the platforms are present but static - there is no boarding and disembarking animation, although there is an animation of opening and closing the door (with a characteristic slam). BTW. A conductor is also present on the train and he gives the departure signal.

The graphics are definitely not photorealistic but it look decent and don't spoil the fun.

An important advantage for me is that I can play completely offline even without the Steam client running. If you wish, the game is also available in a Steam-free version.

All in all, for me "Diesel Railcar Simulator" has good gameplay already, although it's only "early access". It has almost everything that I miss in TSW2, though it doesn't have such advanced graphics as DTG products. Even though this is an "early access", I haven't encountered any bugs that would spoil the fun or prevent from playing.

P.S. I forgot to mention the complex driver evaluation system which gives more points the less help you used to drive the train (I mean HUD). Economical driving and braking smoothness are also carefully assessed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Really enjoy the game from a physics perspective. Really immersive because of it and I just enjoy the tiny details as a result.

Think the main thing for me is the sounds/physics over junctions, points & frogs. Just something I wish TS202x had, proper track/joint sounds over junctions.

Would be great if TSW2 took the jointed track bounce physics from Diesel Railcar Sim, especially for WSR and those alike. Just adds small details but (personally) a lot more immersive atmosphere.

A real underrated game that I think TSW2 could take a few ideas from…

• Like Like x 2
  8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

BVE also had bounce and very realistic physics and track joint sounds around 20 years ago. It is something which could do with improvement in TSW.

Some routes seem to do it better than others but there is no consistency. They have improved somewhat since the early days of Rail Simulator 13 years ago, I still cringe and the thought of driving that class 166 which sounded like a clapped out transit van over the very silent point work entering Paddington station!

I have always said that graphics are not as important as immersion and I still largely believe that, I still find TS1 is the best compromise. However going from TSW to DRS I do find there is quite a gulf no matter how excellent the physics are with DRS. Being a first generation DMU enthusiast it should be right up my street really.

I will check out the workshop I hadn't seen the freeware routes, if there are some good prototypical ones there it will make it more worthwhile as I have never been a fan of freelance routes.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2