Differences Between Ts And Tsw

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by carlissimok, May 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. carlissimok

carlissimok New Member

I am looking for train simulation software and found Train Simulator and Train Sim World, both from dovetail.
    I studied the websites and now I am confused.
    What are the main differences between these two programs?
    Why are there even two of them?
    Could someone explain as short as possible?
    THX!

2. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

My personal opinion - TSW is much better with its graphics and such like.
    TS will have more DLC routes.

I love TSW but my favourite route London to Brighton is only on TS so I have just been playing that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This may not be a major difference, but it seems like one to me: in TSW, engine cabs offer many more operating controls. Moreover, cab windows can be opened and it's possible to stick your avatar's head out a window while driving. This may not seem like much of an advantage, but after driving TSW for quite a while when I returned recently to TS I really missed this kind of realism.
    Visually, TSW is much more realistic than TS in many ways, especially now that TSW2 is available. For example, TS foliage looks ridiculous compared to TSW; on the other hand, I find TS's skies much more believable than those in TSW2.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

5. RGoo

RGoo Member

I agree with most of this but I agree with the above post that TS is more demanding- i can do stable 60 FPS with small stutters on TSW2 but only 40 with prolonged drops to 15 on most TS routes

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

TS2021 is a Driving Simulator and that is the main focus.
    There is a vast amount of Payware and Freeware available for the game -- the Train Simulator Workshop has 24,487 items
    You can create routes and scenarios to run your trains as you have full control of what happens
    The game is quite old by comparison to TSW/TSW2 and only runs on a Computer

TSW2 is the new game on the block and was developed with Consoles being able to play the game along with PC's
    Along with driving you can walk about in the game to explore places and collect things.
    And you can drive a train or just ride along with the passengers - don't expect them to say anything though - miserable lot :D
    But the game is still being developed. You only have the Scenarios that come with it
    Doing the same scenario (tasks) can get a bit boring
    DTG are starting to release tools to enable you to do other things but it is a slow process

If you want Steam trains then give TSW2 a miss - it does not look like you will see them for some time.

Watch a few videos on youtube by people who play the game

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Peter, you forgot to mention that you can mend broken fences in TSW. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Train Simulator TS2020 uses older graphics, has a vast library of routes and stock, both payware and freeware. It has steam, narrow gauge and a range of historical routes and assets, as well as modern. It comes with editing and development tools that allow you to modify or create and share routes, scenarios and stock, but some of this modding requires considerable expertise to do well. It's only PC based.

Train Sim World (TSW) has generally better looking graphics, but a much more limited range of routes and rolling stock. It currently has no tools for community generated content and very restricted tools for modifying what you own. It runs on both PC and consoles.

If you love railways and want the flexibility to do almost anything you want then TS2020 is for you. If you only want to experience driving a train then TSW is probably better.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

TSW2 is it's better in every way, except for one thing - the number of extensions available.
    PS Besides - the editor - TS only. Greater variety of tasks as a consequence.
    Still, for me - TSW2.

Buy both. Play, decide which one to invest in :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  10. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

I have both and TSW get boring very quickly. There’s so much more to do on TS but it can get expensive

11. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

IB
    Train Simulator TS2020 uses older graphics
    TSW is not much better using DirectX 10.0 :)

These are the diferences as I see them:
    TS 2021 vs TSW

TSW
    Very limited Editor not as comprehensive as TS2021
    Mainly End to End, very few other duties
    No Steam Locos
    Few Community Scenarios. Mods, addons, etc
    No 3rd party DLC suppliers
    No station names in 2D map
    Not easy to tweak
    Limited Forums
    Driver can walk and do duties he/she is not meant to do (coupling)
    Better Weather/Time selection – no real world time and weather
    Good In-Game Menus
    Nice Graphics
    Cabs quite interactive
    Sound is reasonable, but no 3rd party add-ons
    DirectX 10.0 (really needs 11.0 and/or 12.0)
    64-bit
    CPU Intensive
    Limited controllers work with TSW – no Raildriver yet.
    DTG Limited countries provided
    Poor Instruction Manuals
    Need some dexterity for some switches etc

TS2021
    Quirky Editor
    End to end plus Shunting and other duties, much more variable than TSW
    Steam Locos Galore
    Plethora of DTG DLC, Routes, Locos, Re-skins
    Thousands upon thousands of Community Scenarios. Mods, addons, etc
    Some very realistic loco models available
    Very good sounds
    In-Game menus improving
    DirectX 9.0c (the slowest of all DirectX's)
    Cabs - some interaction all 2D
    Weather is set but has some awesome addons, no real world weather like FSX
    Many 3rd party DLC suppliers
    Many interactive forms
    2D map is excellent
    32 and 64-bit
    CPU moderate
    Manic Passengers
    Good In-coach passenger views
    Graphics reasonable but not as good as TSW
    More stuttering than TSW
    Easier than TSW to tweak
    Easy to operate keys, switches, knobs etc.
    Rail Driver Support
    Joystick and other controllers supported by 3rd party apps
    No driver walking
    DTG Covers UK, USA, Canada, Germany, France, Japan, China, etc
    Instruction manuals very good.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Rivet Games, Skyhook Games, and TSG would like a word with you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

On PC there's a setting which you can tweak to force TSW to run on DX12. Seen it about on the TSW forums over the last few weeks

14. Ed Thompson

Ed Thompson New Member

I'm very late to this discussion but i'll post this here in case it helps others. I got Train Simulator Classic (when it was TS2021) last year and for sure it does look dated and building/creating stuff is really clunky and takes some learning. HOWEVER, the ability to create and build stuff means that you can go around maybe 40% (?) of the UK rail network plus preserved and dismantled lines, ditto tonnes of stuff around the world. And you can form whatever trains you like to run on those routes, many from different eras. Sure it's expensive (getting a decent mix of routes and rolling stock will cost you £500 or more using sale prices) and a lot of the freeware requires payware for it to function. Due to licensing issues some payware no longer exists, which can be frustrating. But i feel i've joined in with Train Simulator Classic at its peak of content, zillions of hours have been put in by the community to create stuff for you to use and so it's a mile wide and a mile deep compared to some sandbox games. The 'Quick Drive' mode when combined with 'simple controls' in particular is no-nonsense and suits me 100% (make sure you investigate availability of these when making purchases).

As for TSW2 it seems to have a much bigger following and seems to be more of a 'game'. That success should not be ignored. However, for me the improved graphics quality doesn't bother me that much. Having legs doesn't interest me. I don't want to be an actual train driver, i just want to see the trains i've chosen flowing through the countryside. I don't want a detailed knowledge of controls or the ability to drive a train perfectly. I also don't like the limited scenarios and repetition. Basically TSW looks super-cool but is constrained in its offer, it looks like more of pretty, avatar type game than an simulator.

TS classic is a solo game. Not sure if TSW is multiplayer. What would be the ultimate TS game is to have the content of TS Classic, the graphics and added touches of TSW, and to have it running as an MMO. Just imagine.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Some payware of US routes that have been withdrawn are now available as freeware under different names. The assets are therefore available with a little fiddling about. The ones I know for sure are Portland Terminal and Pittsburg and Lake Erie.

16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Train Simulator Classic is a platform - offering a universe of content and full freedom to develop what you want. With all its flaws, it's the overall best out there.

Train Sim World is a just game in my opinion. I could never get into it. Shiny graphics could never trick me or prevent me from looking behind the curtains.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

18. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

:Kreygasm: