Dlc Loco Overhaul

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thatleedsguy#8590, Mar 7, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, if I really wanted it

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes, if it could fit into pre-existing routes that it's appropriate for

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, it's not something I'd want

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I like what DTG does already for DLC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

Hey, all.

This is a thread concerning my suggestions for DLC Locos (not WHAT locos to include, but HOW they're implemented).

With the amount of variation in this community as far as what people want to see (e.g. New York Subway, more freight routes, etc.), it's surely very hard to please everybody when it comes to content.

With Diesel Legends for GWE not making a great first impression on quite a number of people (myself included, but there are quite a few folks who like it and I respect that), I thought the idea shouldn't be completely ditched. Rather, it should be taken as a concept and improved upon.

In my personal opinion, there should be consideration for two main markets as far as new content for TSW 2 goes.

The first market is that of realistic train simulator players, where historical accuracy is paramount. The route DLCs we've gotten have been as accurate as possible, as far as I know and I don't think the system of having locos specifically introduced to run on these routes (e.g. the 166 on GWE) should be dropped.

But the second market is that of more casual players, where historical accuracy doesn't matter as much, as they want the experience of driving a train anywhere they want, whenever they want (especially with the implementation of Scenario Planner and Livery Editor).

It's clear DTG want to give players more freedom through those two features. However, locking DLC Locos behind the requirement of another route goes against that freedom. It restricts what you can buy and might put players off, since they have to buy the route that goes with it if they want the DLC Loco.

It might be a good idea, then, to introduce DLC Locos that don't require a specific route in order to buy them. They can be implemented for existing routes as a way to expand the timetable and scenarios, but shouldn't require ownership of a specific route in order to use them at all.

In other words, introducing locos that players can buy whenever they want that work in scenario planner and fit into pre-existing routes if it's relevant to that loco. (E.g. The BR blue 52 could be released as it's own thing and implemented for use in routes where it can be run to a timetable, but doesn't require ownership of the routes it can be used in).

This way, players could buy locos and rolling stock to use whenever and wherever they feel like and each download could include multiple liveries for that stock (e.g. we could have Intercity and BR liveries for the HST).

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

2. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

it doesn't make sense to do it on British routes, as there are a lot of train operators spread across the country who utilize different trains and rolling stock. However, This would make great sense for German routes, as there's mainly only one operator: Deutsche Bahn.

A lot of people love the DB BR 182, but you can't get it without rapid transit, which most people aren't a big fan of. People like the 363, but they don't have RSN. This is a good concept, but it may complicate marketing.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I made this exact kind of thread last week

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I would like the 182 but not rapid transit

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This was asked on a post a while back and Matt himself responded. The way that the game is structured at the moment is that loco DLC are based in their respective route, and there isn't an easy way for DTG to amend this as it stands. It would effectively take a rewrite of the file and asset structure to move away from "route based locos" to "free standing locos" as suggested so I wouldn't bet on it happening soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1