Dlc Why.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kirkyboi101, Jan 24, 2018.

1. kirkyboi101

kirkyboi101 New Member

What I cant get my head around is why we need to purchase heavy haul before we can play dlc. I have not yet purchased the game nor will I until this changes. I enjoy commuter trains only and not industrial and I think it’s far too steep to spend upwards of £60 just to get a game I want to play. I believe in this respect that dovetail is getting greedy. Even the ts 18 dlc are steep I treated myself yesterday to a south London dlc as it was on sale for £7.49 great until I tried to load a scenario and crashed. For the normal price of £14.99 for something that doesn’t even work is very poor, as a pro gamer I normally go all in but not this time dovetail need to do a lot better for my money so as of now I I’m very sad but hope that this post will be noted and the relevant prices and fixes are implemented.

2. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

CSX Heavy Haul was the only route developed at the time of its release and as such acts as the base game that all subsequent content released requires to run, in the same way Train Simulator 2018 is the base game and is required to run all the additional content available for that. TS2018 however has had multiple years on the market and has a huge catalogue of add-ons available, which allows it to have a wider range of content in its base platform (which is a position we aim to have TSW in down the line).

If we released each route as standalone, they would be more expensive and much less value for your money.

- Jay

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Hi Jay,
    I think that kirkyboi101 expect that TSW base should be developed with basic Academy route + Diesel/Electric/Steam loco and some boxcar (for tutorial purpose), and than other content should be distributed (as real simulator game).
    Than he could choose his field of interest (UK only).
    That could be good idea on TSW start. BaseTSW (£10) + DLC (routes, loco packs, atc...)

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I find the comparison between TS2018 and CSX Heavy Haul iffy. Technically, you can run TS without the TS2018 content. The only reason you need to buy TS2018 and its routes to get anything else is because that's the way DTG chose to set it up. If they wanted to, it would be possible to sell a copy of TS2018 with 0 routes (you can replicate this by buying TS2018, then unticking all DLC on Steam, and bam, you can start up TS2018 with no content) and let the user choose which routes they want, instead of being forced into bundles of routes they don't want.

To be honest, I really wish DTG did that, but that would probably be "too confusing"/make less money.

TSW, by comparison, cannot do that. Buy TSW, and look at your DLC list to untick it all...oh wait, CSX Heavy Haul doesn't show up as DLC. And that's because CSX Heavy Haul is TSW; uninstall Heavy Haul and you uninstall the whole game. In TS2018, the 3 routes are all DLC that come with the game but do not make up the game; uninstall those routes and you still have a game left over.

I agree with Matto140 though, I think a good way to do it in TSW is allow for a "create your own experience edition" (alongside the usual "route trio" editions) where you buy TSW + Academy for $10, then you have TSW, ready to buy other DLC beyond Academy if you want...or just play Academy forever.

5. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

That begs the questions; can CSX: Heavy Haul be neatly separated from the core game?

• Like Like x 1
  6. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

cause Heavy Haul is the base game

7. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

"as a pro gamer" - come on now.

but yeah i get the fact that it is annoying have a base route you have no interest in, but get over it basically - you dont have to play it, just wait for a sale and get a CSX+GWR/RT bundle and consider the CSX route a bonus route.....plus as a pro-gamer you should be aware most games by bigger/non indie studios tend to go for 60-120£ now, even on PC so what you state in your post isnt entirely suspect or strange.