Dlcs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rage607, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Rage607

Rage607 Member

hello,

I am fairly new to train sim(s).
    I do like it so far. I am not from the UK but I do like the British routes.
    I already own great western express, Somerset and northern trans-pennine.
    Just for fun I accelerated the train on Somerset to max and got an achievement.
    I was wondering, why I get an achievement for speeding. Then I learned it was the "class 47: maxed out" achievement from NTP.

as I said, this is my first train simulation and I do not know about trains (yet).
    I was pretty surprised, that I got the same train in two DLCs. Then I looked at other DLCs (mainly the British). If I buy tees valley, I'll own the 101 twice and get the 08, which is like a 09. And then there is the BR heavy freight pack, which has the exact same class 08.

I get, that trains have different versions and do look alike. But packing the exact same engine (class 08) in two packs is not cool.
    And also putting similar ones (47 and 101) in two DLCs but then selling actually new ones for those DLCs separately is a bit disappointing.

But maybe I just don't quite get the differences between these "doubles", so I wanted to ask, if someone could explain what is going on.
    I do like this game and am glad, that such games exist and don't want stuff like this ruin it for me.

PS: I apologize for my bad English.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

To answer your question - it takes less development time if you sell the same product more than once, and therefore it makes more money. A very small number of people will buy the same product twice, or three times, regardless. Even at the extremely high asking prices, and even if the products are not properly tested and end up being critically flawed and broken. The success of the sales model depends on keeping hold of this relatively small number of enthusiasts, rather than appealing to the wider market with a reasonably priced product with a quality that would meet most people's expectations. It's a risky approach - because if anyone else entered the market with a more conventional, and more fair approach, then DTG would get wiped out within months. But it's worked for them so far, so why stop now?

PS: Your English is better than that spoken by most English people, let alone written by most English people - but that's because for the last forty years the good people of England have voted to not invest in public services, like education, and health - a set of decisions that they are, unfortunately about to regret, methinks. Good if you own a funeral business though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Well for instance the GP-38 can be found on three dlc routes, North East corridor, Peninsula corridor and Oakville subdivision. They might be the same locomotive but they all are different, most noticeably once your in the cab. It would be awesome if we had all new locomotives every time a route is released, but sometimes it isn’t necessary as one certain type of locomotive runs on many different railroads all over the world and dovetail makes the changes necessary to reflect where ever you are driving. If it saves more time to be able to focus on routes until they have a large library then I’m happy with that. More locomotive releases are certainly helping the train simulator aspect, as long as you get your $20 of time and fun out of it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Rage607

Rage607 Member

Thank you for your answers(and kind words).
    I totally get what you guys are saying.

Matthewbguilford I understand, that the same locomotive "drives" on more than one route irl, so it is the same train in the game.
    BUT then they release different ones per dlc for the dlc.

synthetic.angel (cool name btw) At first it looks like an odd business model, but since this is a simulation game, it looks like you are right.

Very insightful. Thank you guys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rage607

Rage607 Member

I now bought the BR heavy freight pack and was actually surprised.
    I was also able to use the class 08 on west Somerset and the class 40 had two different "styles" (the front). That was not mentioned in the description.

is there another dlc which can be used on more than one route or trains with different paint or exterior?

6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The DB BR 146.2 on MSB has two very similar red liveries - one DB and one Railion which are mostly interchangeable, except that the Railion version has significantly more services available to it because it can do the banking jobs in the timetable which the DB version cannot. Obviously, DTG being DTG, they haven't made this clear in any of the documentation!

• Like Like x 1