Do Dtg Listen To Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer2020, Apr 5, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

Do DTG listen to their users in suggestions about routes and loco wishes?

2. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

I imagine they do listen otherwise they wouldn't have created those sections. Whether they act on them is another point.

I wonder if anybody knows of any cases of DTG (or any other developers) creating, even in part, any of the suggestions over the years.

3. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

Reading the suggestions, we can at least dream what the Train Simulator could be like.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Sure, they listen. Doesn't mean they necessarily do what is suggested.

5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

They probably read some suggestions and do reply to some on occasion, but to what degree it influences their route building decisions is debatable. They probably plan out what routes to build years in advance, so a suggestion in the forums isn't likely to swing their mind but may help gauge what the community wants for the future. WCMLS and Cross City were requested frequently, whilst other routes like the Woodhead in Blue thing came completely out of the blue...

6. SJA

SJA Active Member

I think one of the bigger influencers is the availability of reference materials.

We can all ask for things and maybe it will get an acknowledgement. But things like cab ride videos are used in route building (as well as the maps API and often photos for stations, etc) and if these resources are sparse, and after a year of restrictions, I imagine it potentially limits scope.

7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Also TOC licensing, I doubt they make another Welsh route if they can't get access to TfW branding (unless backdated of course).
    But there's plenty of route options that can be made using existing TOCs in-game and with rolling stock that's already available.

8. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

so i was looking at dlc that dovetail made on steam page and lately dovetail made alot of routes add-on. the last Train Simulator Locomotive add-on was DB BR 146.5 & BR 668.2 ‘Intercity 2. witch was back in nov 2019. i think DTG has stop making locomotive dlc.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Really? I seem to recall them launching the Class 60 only a couple of months ago.

10. Cyclone

I think they want a train to go with a route now. They would know if it sells better. They can also change more due to the route, and many will try to get all the routes. Can be expensive if custom route builders are quick to utilize it, or if the route’s train appears everywhere.

DTG are also aware of Armstrong’s presence, so while the route adds to the value, they can choose not to worry much about how the train is received if they opt for such since a pack will quickly improve it anyway. Wish the initial product was that quality in the first place, using the 423 example. So building a route means there is still value, and people can build extensions to it in the Workshop or custom routes using the assets. So DTG might know the value for them is routes now, and trains have to go with routes. This might influence their decisions.

11. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

ah yes your right they did release locomotive dlc recently.
    also i guess it understandable they make locomotive suggestion forum cause people be clogging other parts of forum for locomotive ideas for dtg to make.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  12. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

One of my chief complaints about middle-aged content has been train versatility. Vanilla NJCL is the best example.
    German routes are better as they shamelessly copy-pasted a few trains (101, 294) over and over ad nauseum, but it's versatile.
    Train DLC on their own tend to be underused as DLC doesn't cross-reference. Routes with busy quick drives resolve this somewhat, e.g. NJCL. And then the players don't understand. Scenario packs are universally downrated because of missing requirements.
    Overall it's better to release more self-contained DLC, even if a bit more expensive. A new thing or two alongside a few reskins and reuses.
    Either way, make it clear that you get multiple items and extra scenarios. Sherman Hill and Köln-Koblenz are chief examples.

13. Cyclone

This was what I suggested to AP. Make self-contained scenarios that go with a new train, but then keep the scenario packs going for the collectors. That way everyone is happy.

You can see how that went. That is not what he does, and the user view is “You can play them EVENTUALLY...”. And they are happy with that apparently. Meanwhile, ATS has scenarios using just as much content meaning the only way to enjoy your new stuff is to buy a bunch at once or make your own scenarios with them. I now own half the collection and still find very little to play at ATS, though to be fair some of that is missing subscriber routes or other options. Those based around trains, I will have to swap stock still.

BTW, I asked about someone making a more basic version of his scenarios and posting them. He said no, he does not want that. So even trying to help someone without all the other bells and whistles is not allowed. You have to edit them yourself. Interesting strategy, but it works because his customers either own all the trains anyway or are often happy editing out what they are missing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  14. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

15. Cyclone

There is no basis behind your answer, nor do we know which post you might be replying to. Can you elucidate us in some fashion about your response?

• Like Like x 1
  16. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

No!

17. Cyclone

Needs more cowbell.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

In which sense? Do they see that someone suggested they make X route and say, "great idea! I never thought of that! Let's do it!"? No, that's likely not happening (based this on things Sam has said on streams). But they do pay attention to frequent suggestions. So if multiple people suggest the same route or change, or loco, or a particular suggestion gets a lot of discussion or positive feedback in the forums this does play at least SOME small role in helping determine future route choices. Or so he's claimed.

19. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

When you look at the Suggestions subfora, there's over 400 discussions about trains, and almost 600 about routes, let alone other 1,000 topics in the main forum. There's obviously a limit to what they can do, and just because your (or my!) suggestion doesn't get immediate attention, doesn't mean they aren't listening.

20. Cyclone

That's a great idea! X route is a must-have.

Wait, that's not what you meant? :o

Seriously, I don't mind posting a new suggestion thread for something that's already been suggested if the thread is older. I mean, sometimes by nature those things get buried, so a new thread will bring it back up, whereas an old thread will just be another post to tack on to the collection and less conversation-inducing.

21. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Where there's a will, there's a way. I have several countries' worth of signalling information[1] - although Egypt/Uruguay/Israel are notoriously difficult to find stuff out about. Some are quite obscure - 2' 6" lines near the border with Afghanistan are a challenge, but if you look hard enough, there are answers for nearly everything.

You become very adept at searching in the corners of photographs and looking in vestigially related archives. Working/Employee Timetables and General/Sectional Appendices are also a goldmine of information.

[1] Yes; in some cases every single known signalling notice.