Driving A Pendolino 390.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Northernboy67, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Northernboy67

Northernboy67 New Member

I’m not sure what is happening here. I started driving the Pendolino Class 390.
    Soon as I was close to a speed limit, the emergency breaks came on. No AWS was showing, but I cancelled the Tilt by pressing Q. What am I doing wrong? I get to a certain speed, and the brakes kick in.
    I know in the real world, especially on certain trains. A foot pedal is pressed, a quick release, then back down. I just don’t know. It doesn’t happen on approach to signals. Even if they are on green. Brakes come on.

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Reading the manual is a good starting point...

Eric

3. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

What do you mean by you ‘cancel the tilt alarm’? So the flashing ‘tilt not available’ light comes on and you cancel that. Then the brake comes on?

When you mean the brakes come on, do you mean you come to a stop or the brakes apply briefly and then release (I.e. correcting your speed). If the former, then it sounds like a DSD problem or possibly TPWS. Are you getting a flashing red brake demand light on the TPWS panel?

If the latter- eg. brakes apply at 125mph and then release at 110mph- it sounds like TASS brake intervention. Are you getting a flashing red TASS warning (and audible warning) prior to an automatic brake application?

4. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Just another thought... What mode are you in... "novice / basic" or expert???
    Eric

5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Could be a TWPS issue? Driving too fast to stop?

6. Northernboy67

Northernboy67 New Member

I appear to have corrected it. I pressed q key.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

That would be the alerter. You might have been approaching a double yellow or a drop in speed limit. You have to press the alerter to respond to that. You will hear a buzz or alarm, depending on the train, instead of the normal ding.

8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I take it you mean the AWS (automatic warning system). The alerter on US locomotives would be similar to the Driver Safety Device/Driver Vigilance Device (DSD/DVD) in the UK.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Ah, this is on a US route. Yes, I know that I talked about the UK route. I've yet to have to use Q in the US, but the manual will usually give the tip on when systems using it are in place. I know the Sherman Hill ES44AC includes an alerter button (or the DSD/DVD) for those cases.