PlayStation Driving With The Handbrake Applied... (wsr)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Railmaster, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

In WSR in particular, I notice how difficult it is to maintain speed on downhill gradients. Especially on trains where you can't dose more finely than the "initial lay-on". Unfortunately I do not know the exact English name for this type of braking.

With a gradient of e.g. 1%, this first brake is already too strong, i.e. you would have to constantly release and brake, and that over a longer distance. Or you can compensate for this by accelerating so that you can keep the speed constant. So you drive with the handbrake on.

Is this so realistic or what other options do you have here? What do you think and how do you handle it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I constantly apply and release the main train brake as necessary to maintain a speed close to the line speed without exceeding it. Getting it right with the timing is an art and very rewarding when you do it well. I think this is the correct way to do it, driving with the handbrake on is a definite no, I’d say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Rather than the train brake I tend to use the loco brake to adjust to gradients rather than the initial application of the train brake.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Railmaster

Oh man, I keep forgetting that there are 2-3 braking systems! Ride a lot from the outside and don't see the levers, so I don't think about it. Just tried it with the direct brake (locomotive brake), it works really well! Thanks again for the tip! :cool:

5. NZR

NZR New Member

Trains with dynamic braking works for me. Other than that I just play around with the other brakes.

6. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, train brake only on UK stuff. Using any loco brake isn't really a good idea, especially at speed. By using the locomotives own brakes to slow the entire train down means you'd have to apply a fairly substantial application of the locomotive brakes.

Since the locomotive is rather heavy to begin with, the amount of energy required to be absorbed just to stop itself requires quite a hefty amount of pressure to be applied to each of the brake blocks. If you think say a Class 33 weighs more than twice as much as a Mk1 coach, and has the same number of brake blocks, to stop at the same rate you need to apply about twice as much force and hence pressure to each brake block. This means the brake blocks and tyres just stopping the locomotive can get rather hot.

Now for a typical slowing the locomotive brake only this is usually fine, but when you add trying holding speed of an entire train, that is quite a significant amount of energy being into the brake blocks. To an extent it is fine as at low speeds, the locos were after all intended to be able to be used on unfitted coal trains at low speeds and at best this using the loco brake would just wear the brake blocks down substantially quicker and require them to be replaced more frequently.

At worst though it could cause the tyres to slip on the axles due to heat build up, and that's a major major problem effectively crippling the entire loco with a hefty repair bill, either that or sparks from the blocks may cause a fire of built up oil/grease and other deposits (a serious problem at one point with BR diesels, to the extent that some were modified when under vacuum braking not to actually apply any loco braking till vacuum had fallen to less than 16"Hg).

So overall get out of the bad habit of using the loco brake to maintain a constant speed, while it may not immediately cause trouble it is a bad habit to get into. It is much better to share the braking effort over the entire train than concentrate a much harsher application on the locomotive alone and don't worry about being pedantic about speed. Just get used to a pattern of say at 25/6mph making an initial brake application, then releasing at 22/23mph and repeating down the hill.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Railmaster

Technically speaking, I would agree with you as far as I can tell. It should also be borne in mind that it can also look different in real terms. In the real world you certainly have a better feeling for it than with a controller and in TSW, such consequences are not taken into account anyway. So it makes a difference for me whether I play TSW or really control a train. A game / simulation gate does not take into account everything that then allows other manipulations to make the gameplay smooth. As much as I appreciate reality, it is ultimately a game and is supposed to be entertaining. So if I drive down a slope and the applied brake has to be released again and again, but the locomotive brake effectively compensates for this - then this may be really unfavorable, but cheap in the game. So I think both views are correct - once in the real, and also for the game - because in the end it is and we are players. TSW cannot depict everything as it is real and vice versa you can act as you would rather not do it in real. That balances itself out, in the sense of a meaningful gaming experience. For me it makes a difference whether you get stressed here or just stay relaxed. ;)

You can also book a tour on the real WSR, where you can drive a diesel locomotive as well as a steam locomotive! That's exactly what I want to experience on my next vacation and so that I can finally come to England. Maybe then I can judge that better. :D