Dtg Challenger - Manage Fire Mass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeff.engle, Feb 22, 2022.

1. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

Doing the UPB 1.02 PFE Extra East career Scenario with the Challenger. When the auto-fireman is turned off, I can manage the fire mass by opening the firebox. However, once I start an incline, the fire mass keeps dropping even with the firebox open. "R" does not seem to increase fuel input. Then, about 3/4 of the way (or farther) to the destination I THEN get Out of Water (at 85% of water). The manual is worthless. The training scenario is very good - I got a ton of notes, but didn't cover this issue.

How can I mange the fire mass for the Challenger?
    [SOLVED]
    Ran through the scenario using the automatic fireman, then re-ran with the auto-fireman using the following:
    • Blower ON
    • Grate OPEN
    • Build up a decent head of steam. The tutorial indicates starting off with the reverser at 60% and Throttle at 20% until 12 mph or more. With the PFE freight cars I had to move the Reverser and Throttle full forward and I kept it there until reaching about 30 MPH to get started. Then I dropped back down and recovered my steam.
    • Keep fire mass between 83% and 87% (I had let it drop to about 75% and was unable to recover during my first climb without my Otto Fireman ;-)). Tutorial stated to keep it at 80% and the auto-fireman on my second run kicked in at about 79.5% (79% just flickered then the fuel was added).
    • Keep water on once it initially drops below 90% (it never got above 90% during the entire climb). I thought you shouldn't have the fire box open along with adding water, but the auto-fireman had them both on so I did too. (Remember to turn off the water when going through a tunnel to prevent a blow-back end of game).
    • My initial climb was at 50 mph and I let it gradually bleed off to the 40 mph speed restriction (no one was watching). This let me have a decent speed through most of the ascent.
    Training Scenario Notes for the Challenger

Training Description

Today you get to run a Challenger. We will take a short trip to familiarize you with operating it. Like all engines you have a reverser, a throttle and brakes. However the reverser on the Challenger is not just forward and reverse like a diesel engine. The reverser controls how much air pressure goes into the cylinders. With a steam engine you have to also consider the mass of your fire and the water level of the boiler.

HUD F4

The circle gauge on the right side of the F4 HUD is your steam pressure. It displays a PSI value of your current pressure. Steam usage is displayed by color. Red if you are using more steam than you are generating. Green if you are not. Your goal is to keep it green by adjusting your reverser and throttle as necessary. Looking to the left is the boiler water level gauge. Left of it is the fire mass gauge.

Pop Off Valve 273-278 PSIs

The Challenger has a pop off valve that cycles between 273 and 278 PSIs. When it reaches 278 PSIs it blows off steam until it is at 273 PSIs. The gauge turns red during discharge, do not let this confuse you. If it is red and below 273 then you are using too much steam and must adjust for it.

Fire Mass 80%
    Water 90%

If you are manually firing, it is good to have your fire mass of at least 80% and water level at 90%. While manually firing, clicking on the gauge will turn it on or off.

Reverser 60%
    Throttle 20%

To start off, set the reverser at 60%, release the brake and apply about 20% throttle. If you get wheel slip indication, click on the sander icon to increase your traction. As your speed begins to increase you can advance the throttle further to gain speed faster. Set it to about 40% when you reach 12 mph or more. You will see that when you reach about 20 mph, the steam gauge will turn red.

Adjust Reverser

You will need to start adjusting your reverser to get the display green. Take it down a few percent until it is green again. Go ahead and drive a bit and make adjustments. You may also adjust the throttle up as the reverser goes down if you require more power or speed. Both need adjusted together to get the most out of your steam usage.

Mainline Throttle ~60% & Reverser ~22%

By the time you get to line speed of 60 mph your throttle should be around 60% and the reverser at 22% at this point you can tweak them up or down to maintain your speed.

Brake

Brakes have 4 positions. Release, Running, Self Lap and Apply.

• RELEASE takes all pressure out of the brake line.
    • RUNNING releases the brakes also, but does not bled excess air off and should be used while moving.
    • SELF LAP holds the current percentage of brake pressure applied.
    • APPLY adds pressure to the brakes and is indicated by percent. You can add air slow or fast then hold it with Self Lap.
    Throttle 2%
    Reverser -20%

Brakes APPLY
    Add 7 lbs air

To start braking, lower the throttle to about 2 percent, always leave it on a little. Set the reverser to -20% and move the brake level to APPLY and add about 7 pounds of air and watch your speed drop. More pounds of pressure make you slow down faster. Control it by applying and releasing the air pressure.

If you are only slowing down for a speed change, when you are at your new speed, put the brakes back in running and the reverser in a low positive position. Adjust your controls to maintain your desired speed. That is the basics of operating the Challenger. You can continue in to the yard and stop at the designated siding.

Stop (Beginning)

• Throttle 2%
    • Reverser -20%
    • Brake Air 7 lbs

Up ahead, the second signal is a 3 HEAD signal with 2 reds on it is protecting the Laramie yard entrance. The speed limit on the other side of it is 20 mph, then 15 mph. Start slowing down. Throttle to 2%, reversers -20 and start with 7 pounds of brake air. Be going 20 mph when you go through the double red caution signal. You have permission to proceed through.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022