Dtg, Please Add Flange Sounds!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dubsox, Dec 13, 2021.

1. dubsox

dubsox Member

Lots of recent addons don't have them; including the Class 377 on London to Brighton (even though the EC version has them), Class 387, Class 313 and more. I can't speak for everybody else in the community, but it's a huge immersion killer for me and I don't understand why they don't add them when they have had the sounds on trains in the past and they sounded great. Such a simple sound adds so much realism and immersion, so why are they missing?

EDIT: In case you don't know what I mean, I mean the sound of the train flanges screeching on the rails.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  2. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I thought flange noise was quite prevalent on BML

3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Good idea , but perhaps this would be better suited in the suggestions subforum

4. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

What's that noise called where a train approaches and there's a gradually louder tinkling sound on the tracks and it stays until after the train has gone and is some way away. Not quite the flange noise as they go round bends, but as kids we used to hear it on the tracks and could tell if a train was coming (might be the same thing). It's in TS2022 but doesn't seem to be in TSW2.

5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Rail ‘singing’ is what it was referred to in TS1 iirc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't know what it's called either, but it was a nice feature in Train Simulator. Supposedly it could be a core feature, just like in TS and work the same way on every route.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Maybe we can give it a name here. Rail shimmer? Rail quiver?
    I think there’s something like it in sand patch but it’s definitely nowhere else in the game.
    definitely needed for railfan style of play. a train at speed you can start to hear a minute or more ahead.

• Like Like x 2