Dtg, Please Include All The Southern Metro Services On Bml (london Commuter)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cloudyskies21, Aug 13, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

After watching last night's stream for Boston, I'm a bit concerned of potential 'gaps' in the upcoming timetable for BML.

Firstly, let me explain. In the Boston route, there is only 17 Amtrak services, but it was stated there is no Acela services, due to not having the train for it - that's fair enough, but personally I would have preferred substitutions with the existing Amtrak ACS-64 to fill the timetable more.

Now, moving on to BML. The metro services in and around London will make the route what it is, really busy, especially between Victoria-East Croydon - just think of all the variety these short services could bring (complementing nicely with the longer-distance services to Brighton etc).

With it being Rush Hour, I just hope that the services operated by the five-car 377/6 and /7s, plus the 455s, which operate a majority of Southern's metro services in real life, are not left out. By this, I mean the services themselves to drive, not the trains - these should be substituted by the 377/4 upon release.

I'm personally not a fan of leaving chunks of the timetable out to make way for a DLC train that may never get released. I mean BML alone has DLC opportunities for the Class 700, 455 and 377/6 and /7 etc.

I know there was debate with Southeastern High Speed that the 465 did not get any new services, but wasn't that the case due to the community saying there was not enough initial services with the base route in the first place?

So, to reiterate, I would like a full timetable that I can drive using the 377/4 from the start, as opposed to missing chunks of the timetable that are operated by trains we don't have i.e. 455 etc.

Just to state, I'm okay with not having the Thameslink services yet, I'd be happy to wait until a Class 700 could be released. But I think all Southern services should be included.

Would like to hear others views on this.

• Like Like x 14
  2. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Matt stated on the Boston stream last night that after an apparent backlash of the Class 465 not coming with any new services their new policy is to not include services in the timetable unless they have the correct stock to run them. This, as you say, will almost certainly mean gaps in the timetable.

Like you, I am not a fan of leaving gaps in the timetable, just in case a DLC arrives. Sure, if DTG are sure that they can make a Class 700 or 455, i.e. they have the licenses and it's just a case of finding a production slot, then that is one thing. But leaving gaps on the off chance they might eventually make something a few years down the line does not sit right for me. I want the route to be as 'complete' as it can be on launch. This means having the maximum amount of services. Otherwise what happens is that I either won't buy it or won't play it until the additional DLC with extra services arrives.

I know there was a bit of a backlash when they included the services that would have come with the 465 with the initial release of Southeastern but I think it was overblown.

• Like Like x 7
  3. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

In order of priority, I'd do the following:

1) (somewhat obviously) all Southern and GX services that use most or all of BML
    2) 377/6 and /7 routes (represented with /4), particularly those out of Victoria which I'm hoping will be super busy
    3) 455 metro routes
    4) Thameslink (as it's a whole different operator, and I think the chances of a Class 700 DLC are relatively high - just a gut feeling though, this is a strictly evidence-free zone)

It's particularly important in my mind that the stations in London (everything north of East Croydon) see a high (if not fully realistic) frequency of stopping services (so it should be possibly to station hop without having to wait ages for a train).

Not taking into account freight and railtours, which I'm hoping there will be to spice up the action a bit (even when I'm not driving them, I really enjoy coming across an AI freight train or railtour as it's something a bit different).

Ideally we get everything, but there will be limits to the capability of the dispatcher and possibly the number of 377s that can be deployed simultaneously.

It would be immersive to stand in Victoria station and read the PIS boards for trains going to all sorts of different destinations, just like real-life.

• Like Like x 6
  4. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

What is the point of the substitution anyway

Once a run was done, there is no point to do it again, it is already done

So the substitution is just so that you do a run that was already using a different something, but it will still be exactly the same run as previous as at this point in time there is absolutely no kind of variation in the game.

So they should do like it was decided right now, leave the slot open, and if in the furture there is new train that can add Journey and/or Scenario to an already existing trainset then do it

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Id rather have gaps in the timetable and as the DLC market and my collection grows then I have something new to complete.

Id be far less likely to purchase a loco that didnt give me a new service layer to run and clearly from DTG own research this is a majority view.

• Like Like x 4
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Perhaps a release 80% traffic model which has scope to layer last bit in

• Like Like x 1
  8. cloudyskies21

I can understand where you're coming from, and part of me agrees, but I feel the only problem from this is if this potential DLC loco never comes. In the last four/five months regarding the run up to Rush Hour, some things have changed from what was originally planned to be in the game - although yes RH has been a big task.

To solve this, could DTG give players the option whether they want a full timetable with one or two locos? Those who want to wait for the layers to be included with a new DLC can choose to do so. Then everyone would be happy.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I also agree with the original post. People will always moan about something, SEHS was and still is one of my fav routes, hoping this changes to BML on release. The timetable should be as full as possible, this will be the route that I judge how successful 'Rush hour' is.

• Like Like x 5
  10. redrev1917

By offering something new it maximises the potential sales of any new loco DLC, the higher the potential sales possible the in turns increases the probability of DTG (or a 3rd Party developer) taking the project on, so in effect by not offering the layer on release (with subs) makes a new loco/trainset more likely, if you get what I mean. DTG are a business after all and if the most profitable business model is extra layers with new Loco DLC, then this is the route they will go down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cloudyskies21

Yeah I understand, that is a valid point. But I think the route itself has to generate enough interest on its own too beforehand. I was not alone at feeling a bit disappointed of the streams showing Dresden - a route that did not look Rush Hour. On that basis, I was potentially not going to buy the route in the first place, thus potential sales are already slightly affected before any DLC is even mentioned if others feel the same - I'm not stating fact, just my hypothesis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrev1917

I totally agree and its a double edge sword and DTG have to walk a tightrope with every release by balancing enough in the inital release with having enough potential to for expansion.

• Like Like x 1