East Coast Main Line: Hull - Retford

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jack travers, Jul 23, 2022.

1. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Today I will be requesting the Line that runs from Hull Station down to Retford Via Doncaster. I am suggesting this route because it my uncle and aunts local route So I said why not. Anyways lets get started

Information:
    The Line from Hull to Retford was opened around early 2000’s with the addition of Hull trains in 1999 to take over the large british rail franchise. This route runs for 38 miles or 62km and has a max speed of 125mph (201km/h) more-so between Doncaster and Retford. Direct services to Retford from Hull run for about an hour and 14 mins with Northern and Transpennine services only going as far as Doncaster or Selby with other Northern services going from Retford to Sheffield. Now Retford is a rather quite station with 3 upper level platforms and two lower level. Mostly getting LNER services towards York, Leeds and Bradford with the occasional going to Edinburgh. On the Other hand this station is Used on nearly every to all Services between London and Hull.

Operators and Rolling Stock:
    1. Honorable Mention LNER!! This operator rarely runs here but when it does it runs services to Kings Cross calling at Brough, Selby, Doncaster, Newark Northgate, Grantham, Peterborough and Kings Cross

1. Let’s start off with the Operator we’ve all been thinking of!!… NORTHERN!! which will be running small commuter services to Doncaster, Sheffield, Scarborough and More these will be the services to call at all the tiny stations along the line

2. After that we have Transpennine Express which will Run Hull - Manchester Services calling at Brough and Selby only before denying to enter the ECML and going straight to Leeds.

3. Finally we have this operator called Hull trains I think this could run services to London Kings Cross probably calling at most of the stations along this route This would be the More used LNER.
    Now moving onto rolling stock we will do the Honorable Mention first
    1. HM: LNER
    Now for LNER they have the choice between two trains being the class 801 “Azuma” Made by hitachi quite recently to Take over the class 91 and HST services to get you to your destination way faster [​IMG]

Now for our actual rolling stock we have
    2. Northern:
    Now for the two Trains I will be picking for northern will be the class 153 single DMU [​IMG]
    and the Pacer 142[​IMG]

Next on operators we have
    3. Transpennine Express:
    For the single train being used on TPE routes I think it should be the class 185 Desiro DEMU built in Krefeld Germany [​IMG]

Final operator we have is..
    4. Hull trains:
    and the two trains being picked today are the Class 802 Paragon AKA a terrible train but a beautiful livery built by Hitachi around 2017-2020 in Japan I personally love this train and always use the Livery on the 395 [​IMG]

Next train Im pretty sure we saw this coming is the class 180 Adelante “fault train” built by Alstom in the nineties for GWR but after a lot of faults FGW gave them away and hull trains and Grand Central snatched them while they could. GC still use them til this day meanwhile hull trains are retiring them for the 802[​IMG]

Stations:
    In order from Hull this route has a total of 12 Stations on the line being:
    1. Hull
    2. Hessle
    3. Ferriby
    4. Brough
    5. Broomfleet
    6. Gilberdyke
    7. Eastrington
    8. Howden
    9. Wressle
    10. Selby (30 miles)(48km)
    11. Doncaster (36 miles) (58km
    12. Retford (38 Miles) (62km)
    These could be wrong Im not sure

Summary
    Over all what do you guys think about this route would you be satisfied if it was a base route for TSW3 Or upset please let me know in the replies. Or would you just want it as a DLC instead

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It's an odd choice going to Retford - LNER only stop every 2 hours. Hull is only a couple of times per day - and you couldn't use the 91 to Hull
    Hull trains only run a few services per day (6 each way IIRC)
    Also the 180s were made by Alstom (ex Metro Cammell) - their appalling reliability is why HT got rid of them - there were Multiple occasions when only 2 of the 5 sets were available. GC took them on, but I'm pretty sure it's something like 50% of the fleet is spare (for comparison most fleets need less than 10% spare)

3. jack travers

I’ll edit it right no thanks for the help

• Like Like x 1
  4. jack travers

I picked Retford because most people only go to Doncaster and I just wanted a final stretch of 125mph

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

There are definitely better sections of the ECML which could be done rather than only going from hull to retford.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jack travers

Yeah I know but so many people request going from Kings cross so I thought why jot change it up a bit

7. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yeah but retford to hull. Personally do it from peterborough to doncaster in the late 70s or early 80s when deltics were still bombing up and down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jack travers

Oooo deltics. Would love that

• Like Like x 1