East Coastway And Marshlink Line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by ecoops321, Feb 9, 2022.

1. ecoops321

ecoops321 New Member

The East Coastway and Marshlink Lines are two historic and important lines to the rail industry in the South East of the United Kingdom, dating back to the late 1840s. The line has great scenic views of both the British countryside and the beach with speeds reaching between 70-90mph on some parts.

The East Coastway Line is an electrified 3rd rail line running between Brighton and Hastings containing many busy and remote stations of all sizes. The Marshlink is a single track line from Ore (where electric services terminate) to Ashford International on a peaceful yet exciting journey through woodlands and dual platform stations to allow trains to cross over.

The route proposal stretches from Brighton to Ashford with branches at Lewes to Wivelsfield/Hayward Heath, and Seaford.

Eastcoastway-Marshlink.png

The route concept would be to include the full line between Brighton and Ashford with a connection to Haywards Heath (for continued London-Brighton route services), and Seaford. Realistically, between Preston Park and Burgess Hill would not require scenery with the branch at Appledore (as this is mostly defunct/not in common use).

The main rail units used on these lines for passenger services are the Class 171, 313, and 377. In recent times, leased Gatwick Express 387s have also been used on these lines. Armstrong Powerhouse provide Enhancement Packs for all passenger units on this line. Many heritage units have been used on this line (however the main proposal is of modern standard) offering a large variety of stock, scenarios if this route was created.

The line offers many routes and services across this line, all of which that are significant are operated by Southern.

Brighton - Seaford (313 & 377)
    Brighton - Hastings/Ore (Can include all stops, semi-express and express services)
    Eastbourne - Ashford International (171, stopping and express services)
    Ore - London Bridge/London Victoria

There are also 3 depots and many sidings such as Brighton's Lovers Walk Depot (Southern), St Leonards Depots (Southern 171s, 66s, and 71s. Southeastern 375s opposite depot), Hastings sidings which holds 2 12 car track sidings, Eastbourne Sidings, Newhaven Port Sidings, and various more.

Please do tell me your views and honest opinions of this line proposal. The 1066 Line by Backdated Train Sim is a fantastic route to try out if you are a fan of the Southeast or countryside lines in general (as much as I'd love a full run of this as well, I'm being realistic here). I have attempted route building a handful of times before now, and the respect given to skilled developers who make detailed routes is incredible. Thanks for reading.

Also am aware of similar topics, this topic in particular covers the entire Brighton to Hastings route with a map and detail. Plus previous topics are over a year old.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I will read and contribute more later as I am not home, but I definitely want this moved over from TSW2. Half of this idea is there and we need the Ashford links. I know Ashford from Faversham is a common ask, too!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I travelled the Marshlink back in “Tadpole” unit days. The biggest drawback I can see is that once you leave Brighton the traffic levels tumble. So, the question is - would there be enough traffic and variety to keep the average simmer interested? Not for me, sorry.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I was looking at a station on the route from the ECL to London Bridge today. There are a few services there. I think the service starts at Ore, and other services go along Ore to Ashford. So a variety of services clearly exist.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X15356/2022-02-10/detailed
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X15403/2022-02-10/detailed
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X15405/2022-02-10/detailed
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X15357/2022-02-10/detailed

I think variety exists, but one may have to refer to the STP schedule.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  5. ecoops321

ecoops321 New Member

Between Eastbourne and Ore currently there are service both ways roughly every 15-20 minutes (all references are on weekday schedules). Eastbourne to Brighton is even more popular alongside the very small addition of traffic from the Seaford branch with trains roughly every 10 minutes. Ore - Ashford is quiet as it is a single track with services passing each other at Rye ever hour.

I take a journey between Hastings and Bexhill around 8 times a week. Each journey usually sees about 3-4 other services on a 15 minute ride.

For a better reference, the main section between Guildford and Havant of the Portsmouth Main Line currently sees services both ways ever 20-30 minutes. The Chatham section of the Chatham Main line section has services ever 6-15 minutes. The Brighton main line's north path (Preston Park) has services every 6-20 minutes (all on average). Stratford International (HS1) has Southeastern services every 15 minutes, and the newest Train Sim line between Faversham and Dover having only hourly services either way. These fit well in line with the margin of nearby 3rd rail lines that are in Train Sim, and also that the variation of carriages can be anything from 3 to 12 (2 carriage 171s were also used in previous times).

Plus the views are great - Bad quality image here as it is off one of my videos and unfortunately the only video that was taken at an angle to see stuff in a single shot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022