Ecml North: Edinburgh - Berwick-upon-tweed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Dec 10, 2021.

?
  1. Yes!

90.9%
  2. Not sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No.

9.1%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Hello all, and welcome back to the Scotland Show (I'm not calling it that...), Where I go slowly insane writing these suggestion-

Hello everyone, welcome to the East Coast Mainline. More specifically, the section between Edinburgh and the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, with the branch to North Berwick.
    This section runs for 61 miles, and 50 chains (just short of 100km), with 9 stations.

Let's begin!

Contents
    • The Route/Stations
    • Rolling Stock
    • Services

The Route and Stations

This route, running between the Capital of Scotland, Edinburgh, and the historic town of Berwick, across (but near) the border in England, as well as a branch to North Berwick, in Scotland.

The stations are as follows:

Edinburgh Waverley
    [​IMG]

Eastern End of the station, looking over the platforms. Edinburgh Castle is also visible here.

Edinburgh Waverley. Located near Princes Street, with taxi ranks coming off the seperate Waverley Bridge - where Bus connections are available - in Edinburgh's New Town (newer than the old town, having been built in the 18th and 19th centuries).

The station was opened in 1846, as part of the North British Railway, and went by the name of North Bridge. On 17 May, 1847, two stations - General Station (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway), and Canal Street (Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway) - opened. In April 1866, the North British Railway demolished the existing stations, and formed Edinburgh Waverley. 100 years later, in 1966, the station was renamed Edinburgh. At a later (unknown to me) date, the station was renamed to include Waverley once more.

The grand glass roof protecting the station from the (harsh, very harsh) Scottish weather, and the wonderful ticket hall, preserved to hold it's traditional looks, are only part of what give this station character.
    Most services to/from the station terminate, with all services (ScotRail) from the west terminating, bar a few exceptions. Many LNER services terminate here as well.

The station is the northern point of the East Coast Mainline, the primary connection between the capitals of Scotland, and England and the UK.

However, there is just far too much to put in here, however, if your interested, read up on the history of the station, it's very interesting, and the station is truly grand. The station's wikipedia article has a fair bit of information: Edinburgh Waverley railway station - Wikipedia

Musselburgh Musselburgh_station.png
    A GNER HST and a First Scotrail Class 170 meet at Musselburgh. This gives an impression of what the rolling stock was like before the introduction of Overhead Wires (the North Berwick branch, that is).

Opened by British Rail in 1988, Musselburgh serves the town of the same name, and is our first station to/from Edinburgh. By this point, East Coast Mainline and North Berwick Line services are alone - the Borders Railway left a while ago.

The town had 2 previous stations, both closing in 1964, and today the station is a double platform station, with ScotRail services only.

Wallyford
    Located in Wallyford, East Lothian, and located near Musselburgh, this station has a similar - yet very different - story to the previous.

The station, today located around 7½ miles from Edinburgh Waverley, is the only station in the town, and the first since 1867. The original station only lasted a year and a few months, from June 1866 to October, 1867. It then took 124 years for a new station, brought to the town by Railtrack, to open, which stands today.

Prestonpans
    Prestonpans Station, serving Prestonpans, as well as the town of Cockenzie and Port Seton, is one that managed to last. The station originally opened in 1846, and that station remains today. The station, like the others so far (except Edinburgh) only recieves ScotRail services.

Longniddry
    Similar to Prestonpans, Longniddry has lasted since opening in 1846.
    Located at the southeast corner of the village, the station dates back to June 22nd, 1846, and opened on the same day as the (now gone) Haddington Branch of the North British Railway.

Today, the station is similar to all the above, with 2 seperate platforms, and InterCity services flying past.

Drem 3665470_f5837ceb.jpg
    View over Drem Station.

The final station before ScotRail services go whatever way they are, Drem station is located a short distance to the west of the junction, and is another station from June 22nd, 1846.

(Branch) North Berwick North_Berwick_380104.jpg
    A Class 380 stands at North Berwick Station. Not included in this suggestion.

The terminus for most North Berwick Line services, and the only station on the branch off of the ECML, North Berwick serves the coastal town, with regular services to the Capital, which is the main city in the Lothian Region. In 1985, the old station building was demolished, leaving the station as it is today.

Dunbar
    Dunbar_Railway_Station_(geograph_6369071).jpg

View over the station from the new 2nd platform, opened in late 2019 - the earliest this suggestion is set.

ScotRail's last, and the InterCity operator's first, station from Edinburgh Waverley, Dunbar enjoyed a massive upgrade in 2019, with the previous one platform (bi-directional) layout being replaced with a 2 platform one, with the second platform across the line. The station did open (yes, it was 1846) with two platforms, however.

Berwick-upon-Tweed[​IMG]
    Platform view, facing northbound towards Edinburgh.

Located a few miles away from the Anglo-Scottish border, being the northernmost town in England, and the northernmost Railway station as well, this station is located in the heart of this old town, Berwick-Upon-Tweed station stands upon the Site of the former Great Hall within the - long gone - Berwick Castle.

This is noted in a Plaque at the station commemorating this, and it's historic significance in the Scottish Wars of Independence (13-15th Centuries).
    The plaque itself has the Lion (for England) and the Unicorn (for Scotland):[​IMG]

Anyway, this isn't a history lesson (well, I guess it is now...)

The station itself is located outside the city's medieval walls, and is in fact, just off the Main Street in the Town Centre. The station has connections to Buses and Taxis to locations around Northumbria and the Scottish Borders.

In railway terms, the station has 2 platforms, in an island configuration, and is served by LNER, CrossCountry, and Transpennine Express are also beginning to introduce services via the station.

Other places of interest:
    Craigentinny Train Maintenance Centre

Formerly run by LNER to service their Rolling Stock, Craigentinny TMD (Code: EC) is now run by Hitachi, to service their Class 800 and 801 (LNER), 385 (ScotRail), 802 (TPE) and 803 (Lumo) Units, they also look after Class 73s for Caledonian Sleeper. This depot dates back to 1904.

Millerhill Marshalling Yard

Opened in 1962, to maintain DMUs operating in and around the region, Millerhill was located near the site of the former station of the same name, which closed later.

The Depot formerly held ScotRail Class 150's, before they left Scotland forever, and now looks after Class 37 and 66 Locomotives, as well as Class 156 and 158 DMUs. A site opened here for the Class 385 in 2018, as well.

LaFarge Cement Yard

Located to the South of Dunbar station, the LaFarge Yard takes in freight trains (don't have a clue how often), and - as it's directly lineside - would be visible anyway, so could be used for some freight services to/from Edinburgh.

Rolling Stock
    This route is fortunate that it has multiple operators, and also different types of services, with the commuter feel of North Berwick services, a regional sense on the Dunbar services, and the Express with LNER and Such.

Included will be the:

Class 385 (ScotRail)
    [​IMG]
    Constructed between 2015 and 2019 by Hitachi in Japan and England.

Consisting of 70 units, with 46 3-car units (385/0), and 24 4-car units (385/1), and areas for those with disability or who require support, and the units do have Gangways, allowing passengers to love between units in a coupled set.

Originally built for the Edinburgh - Glasgow electrification (part of a wider improvement programme), the Class 385 has the (subtle) ScotRail Express branding, with the X having the ScotRail Saltire. Today, these units can be found across the central belt, on the Inverclyde Line, Edinburgh - Glasgow Line, Stirling Lines, and this very line, to North Berwick, among others. The introduction of the units, primarily on the mentioned Edinburgh - Glasgow line, allowed ScotRail to cascade DMUs - 156, 158 and 170s, to other operators, mainly Arriva's operators.

These trains are - due to having the same manufacturer - similar in ways to the Class 80× (as you'll meet below), being members of the A-Train Family together.
    The main difference being the 80× is an AT300, while the 385 is an AT200 series.

Class 801 'Azuma' (LNER)
    741C0906-C401-486F-AEF0-E3E860F8D4A9.png

Like the Class 385, the Class 801 (and all others in the 80× group) was constructed by Hitachi. The 801 - unlike the 385, ordered by ScotRail, the first TOC to order one of the AT×00 units - was built for the Department for Transport (DfT)'s Intercity Express Programme (IEP), and the 801 units were built between 2017 and 2020, with the first units entering service on September 16, 2019.

The Class 801 has 42 units, with 30 9-car (801/2) units, and 12 5-car units (801/1).
    These are only operated on LNER Services, and would be able to run up and down the ECML, including this section.

And maybe also, we could throw the
    Class 220 'Voyager' (CrossCountry)
    into the mix.
    [​IMG]

Built between 2000 and 2001, the Class 220 (along side the 221 and 222) is part of the Voyager Family of trains. Operating on cross-country routes near enough all of their lives, the Voyagers are the core of the operator. Operating the Aberdeen - Penzance services, these trains (usually) will have the player pick up from a through platform - if you spawn on foot early enough, you can watch it roll on in.

Layers (In/Out)
    In

Class 66 - Freight Services to/from LaFarge Yard, as well as Edinburgh - Berwick. ECS to Millerhill as well. (From ECW/GWE)

Class 37 - Railtour: Edinburgh - Berwick and back (one in the morning, one in the evening).
    Also could have an ECS Move between Millerhill Depot and Edinburgh, to set up, or take in, the train overnight.

Potential:
    - If any Class 380, LNER 800 units or a XC 221 are ever made, they could provide Driveable services to the route, Substituting for their respective operators services.
    - See the following for any future Scottish units (380 mentioned above) https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/scotland-lets-see-some-more.47870/

Out
    Class 385

See 'Layering' section here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/scotland-lets-see-some-more.47870/

Class 801
    AI on East Coast Mainline tracks on Southeastern High Speed.

Class 220
    Layers as AI at Reading (GWE)

Services
    This route doesn't have the most services in the world, however it is varied, and it has some wonderful scenery.
    Driveable
    Let's start with the Driveable services.
    Across the three operators listed, we have a variety of services, Commuter, Regional, Express, etc. Let's take a look:

ScotRail

1tphEdinburgh Waverley - North Berwick
    Calling at: All Stations on route.
    Class 385*

1tp2h • Edinburgh - Dunbar
    Calling at: Musselburgh
    Class 385*
    (Substituted by CrossCountry on alternate hours)

*Any 380 layer would sub here

LNER
    1tph • London King's Cross (Berwick) - Edinburgh
    Calling at: Berwick and Dunbar (sometimes)
    Class 801

Note: There is an extra 1tph which doesn't stop at Berwick, might stop at Dunbar, can't find concrete information.

CrossCountry
    1tph • Plymouth (Berwick) - Edinburgh and, Dundee, Aberdeen and/or Glasgow Central
    Calling at: Berwick (irregular) and Dunbar 1tp2h*
    Class 220

*Substitutes with ScotRail services to Dunbar on alternate hours

AI Only
    At Edinburgh Waverley

(Only included stock listed)

tph = trains per hour
    tp×h = trains per every × hours
    tpd = trains per day

• 2tph to/from Glasgow Queen Street (via Cumbernauld Line) • ScotRail Class 385

• 1tp2h to/from Glasgow Central (via Carstairs), forming Edinburgh - Dunbar services. • ScotRail Class 385
    (Alternating with below XC Service)

• 1tp2h to/from Glasgow Central (via Carstairs), forming Glasgow - Plymouth services. • CrossCountry Class 220 (alternating with above ScotRail Service)

• 2tph to/from Dunblane • ScotRail Class 385

• 4tph to/from Glasgow QS (via Falkirk High) • ScotRail Class 385

• 1tpd to/from Glasgow Central (via Carstairs) • LNER Class 801

Conclusion
    I originally decided to give this priority (in terms of writing it) because I thought it would be short and simple. A little short thing to tick things over whilst I decide what I want to do next.

Fast forward to Friday and, oh, what do you know, I'm just finishing (I've done this in bits since like, Tuesday).

This route is one of my favourites, having used it - primarily on the Voyager - many a time between Glasgow and Berwick. Personally, i think that the scenery, especially when the train follows the coast in the borders and such, is really stunning, and would make for a good TSW route, as well as laying down the first part of the East Coast Mainline.

Unlike other sections, looking at LKX-PBO here, in the south, this section is relatively quiet, relaxed, if you will, and serves as a change, especially from faster paced routes like Brighton Mainline, Dresden - Riesa, etc.

However, that's all I have to say.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts, please, feel free to reply with them, maybe even cast a vote in the poll.

To keep up with this little "series" of Scottish Suggestions, check the thread linked in my signature. It's like the parent of all these suggestions.

Anyway, as always, Thanks for Reading!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and for Cathcart Circle can that give Class 314s here. in return ECML North gives Class 385 if Cathcart Circle was set in 2017-2019 when class 385s went into Service

3. trainsimplayer

No and no.

314s never ran on this line - even at that, they weren't found in Edinburgh.

Cathcart is set before the 385 was introduced, and even if we stretch it, the 385 and 314's overlap was very, very small.

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about this

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes but with Deltics as the main traction on Mk2 aircon stock.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Again an amazing suggestion for an amazing route. I think this is my most wanted route now putting Fife Circle to second place :)
    LaFarge Cement has a small yard just south of Dunbar so this could potentially add somewhere for freight services to start/end although I'm not sure how often its used if at all anymore. This line has a great variety of types of services so would defiantly cater to most peoples tastes and if freight could be added then it would cater for everyone :) One thing I would like to add to the suggestion is Millerhill EPIG Depot because it adds this rather wonderful curved section to the route, even if it was just used for ECS movements to/from Edinburgh it would add variety to the route and give the player something a bit different to what we normally get :)
    Millerhill.png

7. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

How long is this Route:Edinbourgh-Berwick.Not Info in Post

8. trainsimplayer

My bad, must have skipped that one over.
    Between Edinburgh and Berwick (including the Branch to North Berwick) the route is 61 miles and 50 chains, just short of 100km.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

The latter is worth a bit of artistic licence though just for some variety on Cathcart!

I'd like to see this in a pre-Azuma era - HSTs would just about edge it over 225s if you had to choose as they can be used elsewhere. Maybe another 90s era route with an Intercity swallow HST (the holy grail for me) and a 304?

10. pjwilson15

pjwilson15 Member

I'd love this route. Thanks for the awesome detail in your suggestions. They make fantastic reading and give people like me in Australia a great insight into these lines.

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

I'd go for the realism factor over the interest factor, however that's just me. I would love to see GCC get more AI and Variety, for sure, however I feel like the realism takes priority for myself.

I did have a long, and frustrating, internal debate about my rolling stock choice, I had to choose between BR and LNER (I find it unlikely the others will ever come to TSW), CrossCountry I remembered existed at the last minute, and ScotRail I had my choices to make with.

British Rail has the factor of a bit more artistic license, however it could complicate things with the somewhat lesser amounts of information.

LNER and ScotRail, on the other hand, are more accessable (information and company-wise), and I feel like plenty of people want the Azuma and such.

However, I did consider backdating it with either the 225 or HST (both LNER) - or they could do both, considering we have a HST, and they have previously converted that model into one on Train Simulator, for LNER (funny enough). That would leave ScotRail with the 380 or 385.

Another key factor in it was Dunbar Station. It's new platform opened in December 2019, so I felt like I wanted that in game.

However, in hindsight, it would have been good to see a bi-directional platform off of a Branch Line in game, and would be interesting to see how dovetail could manage that.

I might change the rolling stock choices soon-ish, however that's probably a matter for me to have a think about.

I'm glad to hear this! I do suppose, that's the point of the suggestions, to both suggest to dovetail, but teach/show to others. Thanks for the reply! :)

• Like Like x 2