Ecml York - Newcastle 1970s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Feb 5, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    93.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

ECML York - Newcastle 1970s for Train Sim World
    The East Coast Main Line between York and Newcastle was part of the original version of Train Simulator, Railworks. This proposal is for a similar route to be created for Train Sim World, featuring the route as it was in the 1970s along with suitable locomotives and rolling stock. If this route was created, it would be a good base for further British Rail Blue locomotive add-ons
    Locomotives
    BR Class 43/254 'InterCity 125'
    The BR Class 43 or 254 as it was originally known, was the primary InterCity locomotive used on the East Coast Main Line during the late 1970s. This locomotive should be easy to add to this route as it is already featured in Great Western Express, albeit in a different livery. It should be included in the InterCity 125 livery with both Class 43 and Class 254 numbers.
    800px-12.04.81_Kings_Cross_Class_254_HSTs_(5932012764).jpg
    BR Class 55 'Deltic'
    The BR Class 55 'Deltic' was the primary InterCity Locomotive used on the East Coast Main Line prior to the introduction of the HST. These were used in conjunction with mark 2 carriages to operate mainline services throughout the 1970s.
    14.11.81_Finsbury_Park_MPD_55008_(12910745424).jpg
    BR Class 47
    The BR Class 47 operated both passenger and freight services across the whole British Rail network. Unlike the previous two locomotives, the BR Class 47 hauled lower priority passenger services. It was used on a variety of freight services also including coal trains, many of which traveled along this section of the East Coast Main Line.
    47349_Chesterfield.jpg
    BR Class 08
    The BR Class 08 was the primary shunting locomotive of British Rail which operated in most rail freight yards across Britain. This would add the possibility of shunting scenarios and services. Shunting services haven't been focused on a lot in Train Sim World with only a few such services for CSX Heavy Haul.
    19.11.83_Lowestoft_08250_(6831537845).jpg
    Rolling Stock
    • British Rail Mark 2 coaches should be included for passenger services operated by the Class 55 and Class 47.
    • A variety of freight wagons such as mineral wagons, goods vans and tank cars should be included to represent the large amounts of freight traffic that operated along the route during the 1970s.
    Conclusion
    The route from York to Newcastle during the 1970s would feature a vast array of possibilities for scenarios and services with a variety of passenger and freight operations. This route would also allow for further expansion with the possible addition of further British Rail locomotives.
    Durham_station_looking_south,_November_1977_-_geograph.org.uk_-_810561.jpg
    A Class 47 hauling a northbound passenger train passing through Durham Station in November 1977.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
  2. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Only if it's part of the entire East Coast Mainline from London to Edinburgh would I support it. Even though that the United Kingdom is not the largest nation in the world, I still don't believe in verbatim remakes of routes Dovetail Games made in Train Simulator 2018, which is why I think Great Western Express was a bad and underwhelming idea for a route. That being said, if the entire East Coast Mainline can't be done as one route for Train Sim World, then I believe the Newcastle to Edinburgh section of the East Coast Mainline should be Dovetail Games' next section of the East Coast Mainline (and first for Train Sim World) because that section has two countries in it and does have (in my opinion) a nice variety of scenery. Or have the London to Grantham section of the East Coast Mainline with the Hertford Loop for Train Sim World since that's the section where the Mallard broke the speed record. Or maybe have the Newcastle to York section of the East Coast Mainline with all of the branch lines from the Weardale & Teasdale Network to allow for more local operations in addition to the mainline operations.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love the Newcastle to York section of the East Coast Mainline, it was and is actually my favorite route from the original Rail Simulator (nice scenery, trackwork and trains), but verbatim remakes of any route are not something I'm in favor of since it holds up production of good routes that have never been made before for any train simulation game and makes us have to pay again for stuff we already have from the same company. So in conclusion, I would welcome Newcastle to York back, but only if there's some new territory to it that the original from Rail Simulator/Train Simulator 2018 did not offer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

I really like Newcastle York and would be good to see it in TSW. Personally I would like to see the branch route from Darlington to Middlesbrough included and add a Class 101. That would include some more game play options and variety into the pack. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. David Forster

David Forster Member

I would love to see a 1970's ECML Newcastle-York line done for TSW, it was my favourite line when I played TS back in 2012/13 as it is my local mainline.

If it was at all possible, over time, I would love to see some of the Branch Lines off the ECML created, maybe over to Middlesbrough from Northallerton and/or Darlington, The Tees Valley Line up to Bishop Auckland, The Durham Coast from Newcastle down to Middlesbrough via Hartlepool, The Leamside Line, which BR used as a Diversion line right up to Electrification in 1991 when it closed and also the Stillington Line from Ferryhill down to Stockton, although, Stillington is Freight Only, it still sees Charter Trains using it, and is, I am sure, used as a Diversion when the ECML is closed, also the Blyth and Tyne Line and maybe even the Colliery Railways, like the single line that ran from Sunderland through places like Murton and South Hetton.

I guess for something that detailed is probably a lot to ask for in one go, but would love to see it over a period of time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

Class08 or 09?

6. NorthRail1

Class 08 because the Class 09 was only used on the Southern Region whereas the Class 08 was used across the UK including Tyne yard.

7. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

8. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

What about the Class 37s? Also, maybe we could get some restored steam power.

9. NorthRail1

Class 37s would be good to see on a route like this in the future. I chose to suggest the Class 254, 47, 55 and 08 as I thought those would be the best for an initial release. Personally, I don't think restored steam would be era appropriate and would be better suited to a modern day route for railtours.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

This route would be amazing for TSW. I've since HH wanted a route set in the 60s-90s from UK, USA or Germany.
    Good variety and classic roling stock, which generally liked by alot of people.

The only bad thing with this is that I could see the next UK route being electric, because all UK routes have been diesel so far.

I will also note that I quite like your professional style Content suggestions.:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

if I have to say my opinion would be better if set in the years 2000, however, I would be fine :)

• Like Like x 1