Edinburgh - Glasgow

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, May 27, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

88.6%
  2. Maybe

2.9%
  3. If it was on sale

5.7%
  4. No

2.9%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    The Edinburgh - Glasgow (via Falkirk High) line is a 42 mile long route connecting Scotland's two main cities, Edinburgh - the Capital of Scotland - and Glasgow, the largest city in Scotland, with Common, and fast Express services between the two termini at Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley.

Cutting through wonderful Countryside, on high Embankments or Long Viaducts, the Edinburgh - Glasgow line, well known from it's time in Train Simulator, would make a great fit for TSW. Here's how:

Rolling Stock
    Class 385

[​IMG]

The BR Class 385 EMU (AT200) is ScotRail's newest (excluding HST Units) rolling stock.

Brought in as part of the Glasgow - Edinburgh improvements - which saw the line receive electrification, and the new Class 385 for an improved service between the two cities, as well as station upgrades - most notably at Glasgow Queen Street.

These units are closely related to the IET (Class 80×) and Class 395 units found across the network, being in the same family and being built in the same factories as each other.

These units have also allowed for the Class 314 units to be removed from service, and for 156, 158 and 170 DMUs to be cascaded away from ScotRail.

There are 70 Class 385 units in total, with 46 3-Car units (385/0) and 24 4-Car units (385/1). The latter has First Class sections.

Stations
    (Measurements from Glasgow Queen Street)

Glasgow Queen Street
    [​IMG]

Glasgow's Historic Queen Street terminus isn't one to miss the fun, with services to Edinburgh, Stirling, Inverness, Helensburgh, Fort William and more.

Serving as Glasgow's second terminus, following Central, Glasgow Queen Street is a truly wonderful station. Located in the City Centre, facing onto George Square, the station, with it's magnificent arched roof and excellent new Concourse and Façade, is truly an icon of the historic influence railways have had on Glasgow's wealth and power, and a display of the upside of modern architecture - blended together in an excellent way that makes the station easily accessable, but keeps it's old character, and introduces a new one.

In terms of the route we're looking at today, it serves as it's southern terminus, the end of the line, or the start, as we're doing it, I suppose.

Outside of Queen Street is the Cowlairs Incline, a steep, mile and a quarter long incline, which is named after the area it's in. The incline is initially at a gradient of 1:51, then 1:43, and 1:41, before flattening out at Cowlairs Junction. The southern half of this section is the Cowlairs Tunnel as well. This dates back to 1842 (Like the station was), so you can imagine it wouldn't be very easy getting a steam train up there, never mind a HST or something.

Bishopbriggs - 3.25 mi
    [​IMG]

Located in Bishopbriggs, on the outside of Glasgow, this is our first station on the line, about 3¼ miles from Queen Street station. The station opened in 1842, as one of the original Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway (E&GR) Stations, which formed the line we know today as the Edinburgh - Glasgow Line (Via Falkirk High), all the stations to Croy share this trait. The station narrowly avoided the Beeching Cuts, thanks to a community campaign. In 2002, the station lost it's station building.

This station is served by Croy Line services to either Dunblane or Alloa via Stirling, and this station receives no direct services to Edinburgh Waverley, with interchange at Croy or Queen Street.

Lenzie - 6.25 mi
    [​IMG]

Opened in 1848 as Kirkintilloch Junction, having three name changes before becoming Lenzie in 1890, this station serves the town of Lenzie, and is very similar to Bishopbriggs. It's served by the Croy Line, although it has a limited Edinburgh service, and it's not really much more than a minor station.

Croy - 11.5mi
    [​IMG]

Class 385 and Class 43 'Inter7City' Pass each other at Croy.

Croy is the final station which we share with the Edinburgh - Glasgow Line, and the centre of the Croy Line. Serving the village of Croy, the town of Kilsyth as well as parts of Cumbernauld, on one of the "New Towns" in the Region, Croy is a key interchange station, and it sees over a million passengers a year, and over Eight trains an hour, four to Glasgow, two to Edinburgh, one to Alloa and one to Stirling/Dunblane.

If you feel like driving an Edinburgh - Glasgow Service on this line, this would be the start/end of it. If you feel like driving a full service on that line, check out this suggestion:

Falkirk High
    maxresdefault.jpg

Serving as the middle point of this line, Falkirk High is the main station between Glasgow and Edinburgh. With almost all trains stopping here, and serving the large town of Falkirk, Falkirk High is one of the main intermediate stations on this line.

Opened in 1842 as Falkirk (renamed to Falkirk High in 1903), The station was an original station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, serving the town of Falkirk, as it continues to, all the way to today.

With around 0.9 million passengers a year, Falkirk High is the primary station for the town.

Polmont - 22 Miles
    Polmont serves the village of the same name, as well as much of the town of Grangemouth, and numerous Falkirk Braes villages.

The station was another of the 1842-opened stations on this line, and remained so today.

The station had a Bay Platform for Bo'ness Branch services, (which wasn't actually used until 1933, thanks to a station at Manuel). These services were withdrawn in 1956, remaining in use for freight until the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway took over the line.

Polmont also is near the site of the Polmont Rail Accident/Disaster of 1984, which killed 13 and injured 61. A plaque to the incident can be found at Polmont Station.

Linlithgow - 27 Miles
    Linlithgow serves the town of Linlithgow, with a distant view of the town's Linlithgow Palace, attached below this, a tourist attraction in the town.
    A minor station in terms of the route, Linlithgow does recieves over a Million passengers a year, and recieves plenty of services.

Linlithgow Palace (from close distance, it's more distant - yet still stands out - when viewed from the railway). vrwlo4buehb7yahviyst.jpeg

Edinburgh Park - No Direct Service
    Edinburgh Park is one of the newest stations on the line, opened in 2003, to serve the Business Park of the same name, and the Hermiston Galt Shopping Centre.

The first intermediate station between Haymarket and Linlithgow since 1951, this station is the only station featured in this suggestion with no services directly to Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk.

The station recieved Overhead Electrification in 2010, as part of the Airdrie - Bathgate Rail Link project, to create a new Edinburgh - Glasgow Route.

This station is (in-game) served by Cumbernauld line (leaves the line after Polmont) services to Glasgow Queen Street (enters from a portal before the station), and Dunblane Line services to Dunblane/Stirling/Alloa, all of these go to Edinburgh Waverley the other way.

Haymarket - 40 Miles
    1280px-Haymarket_Station.jpg

Edinburgh's Haymarket station is the City's Second Largest station, behind Waverley, with roughly 3 Million passengers in 2019-20.

Located in close proximity to both Haymarket Depot and The Junction to the North Clyde/WCML towards Airdrie/Carstairs. With virtually all trains that pass the station stopping here, and a direct connection to Trams (for Edinburgh Airport and into the City) at street level, Haymarket today finds itself a key interchange, just outside the City Centre and Edinburgh Waverley.

Edinburgh Waverley - 42mi
    [​IMG]
    Eastern End of the station, looking over the platforms. Edinburgh Castle is also visible here.

Edinburgh Waverley. Located near Princes Street, with taxi ranks coming off the seperate Waverley Bridge - where Bus connections are available - in Edinburgh's New Town (newer than the old town, having been built in the 18th and 19th centuries).

The station was opened in 1846, as part of the North British Railway, and went by the name of North Bridge. On 17 May, 1847, two stations - General Station (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway), and Canal Street (Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway) - opened. In April 1866, the North British Railway demolished the existing stations, and formed Edinburgh Waverley. 100 years later, in 1966, the station was renamed Edinburgh. At a later (unknown to me) date, the station was renamed to include Waverley once more.

The grand glass roof protecting the station from the (harsh, very harsh) Scottish weather, and the wonderful ticket hall, preserved to hold it's traditional looks, are only part of what give this station character.
    Most services to/from the station terminate, with all services (ScotRail) from the west terminating, bar a few exceptions. Many LNER services terminate here as well.

The station is the northern point of the East Coast Mainline, the primary connection between the capitals of Scotland, and England and the UK.

However, there is just far too much to put in here, however, if your interested, read up on the history of the station, it's very interesting, and the station is truly grand. The station's wikipedia article has a fair bit of information: Edinburgh Waverley railway station - Wikipedia

Services
    Edinburgh - Glasgow "Shuttles"
    Services operate every 15 Minutes (Pre-COVID) between Glasgow Queen Street an Edinburgh, with all services stopping at Glasgow Queen Street, Falkirk High, Haymarket and Edinburgh Waverley, the service pattern is as follows (services and patterns of service go both ways):

2tph • Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley
    Calling at: Croy, Falkirk High, Haymarket

2tph • Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley
    Calling at: Falkirk High, Polmont, Linlithgow, Haymarket (Select peak services call at Lenzie).

All services operated by Class 385s.

Croy and Dunblane Lines:
    Between Glasgow Queen Street and Croy, the line shares tracks with the Croy Line (Glasgow Queen Street - Dunblane or Alloa via Croy and Stirling), and has a service pattern of (services and patterns of service go both ways):

1tph • Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa*
    Calling at: Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, Croy...

1tph • Glasgow Queen Street - Stirling* (Dunblane* every 2 hours)
    Calling at: Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, Croy...

2tph • Edinburgh Waverley - Dunblane**
    Calling at: Haymarket, Edinburgh Park...

Cumbernauld Line
    2tph • Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh (via Cumbernauld), AI Only at Glasgow Queen Street.
    Calling at: (from Portal)...Polmont, Linlithgow, Edinburgh Park, Haymarket, Edinburgh Waverley.

All services operated by Class 385s.
    *Ends at Croy
    **Ends at Edinburgh Park

Scenarios

Capital Closures
    It's line works today and Edinburgh Waverley's west approach has been shut off! Thankfully, Passengers are able to take the Trams to Waverley. You'll be terminating at Haymarket and Heading back to Glasgow.
    - Class 385/1 (4 Cars)
    - Glasgow Queen Street > Haymarket > Glasgow Queen Street
    - Snow

Rail to Rugby
    It's International Day at Murrayfield for the Scottish Rugby team, and you've been assigned to run a special service between Glasgow and Edinburgh to provide additional capacity, you'll call at Haymarket only.
    - Class 385/0 Double Unit (6 Cars)
    - Glasgow Queen Street > Edinburgh Waverley
    - Clear Weather

Central Belt Commute

Operate this ScotRail Express service to Edinburgh Waverley from Glasgow Queen Street, calling at Croy, Falkirk High and Haymarket.
    - Class 385/0 (3 Cars)
    - Starts off with Light Clouds, becomes Light Rain.

Diversion

Due to a landslip near Cumbernauld, all Cumbernauld Line services have been redirected onto the Falkirk High line. You'll be calling at the usual Cumbernauld Line stops at Edinburgh Park, Linlithgow and Polmont, as well as Croy, where Replacement buses await passengers.
    - Class 385/0 (3 Cars)
    - Edinburgh Waverley > Glasgow Queen Street
    - Heavy Rain "Dreich!", as we say in Scotland :)

Extra Express
    To provide extra capacity for the Edinburgh Festivals, you'll be operating a Non-Stop Express between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley Stations.
    - Class 385/1 (4 Cars)
    - Light Clouds, No Rain

(Bonus?) Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway
    The Bo'ness & Kinneil Heritage Railway (Operated by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS) is a short (5 Miles/8km) Heritage Railway, which is connected (track-wise) to the Edinburgh to Glasgow (via Falkirk High Line).

The route is as follows:
    - Bo'ness
    - Kinneil
    - Birkhill
    - Manuel Junction

The Railway maintains numerous Steam and Diesel locomotives, including some in TSW already, some would need to be reskinned, however these are the:

• BR Class 08 (1)
      • 'D3558' - BR Green Livery
        • Operation
    • BR Class 20 (1)
      • 20020 - BR Blue
        • Out of Service - Mechanical Issues
    • BR Class 37 (4)
      • 37025 "Inverness TMD" - BR Blue Large Logo.
        • On loan to Colas Rail
      • 37281 - DRS Blue
        • Under Overhaul
      • 37067/37703 - BR Blue
        • Operational
      • 37403 "Isle of Mull' - BR Blue Large Logo
        • Operating on Mainlines.
    • BR Class 47 (1)
      • 47643 - BR ScotRail
        • Operational
    The heritage railway also hosts BR MK1 and MK3 coaches, in a variety (especially in the MK1's case) of liveries.

This heritage line would offer a change of pace from the fast and quite busy Mainline, having a small, slow Heritage Line. Also BR Diesels are a win.
    (The premise of the Cathcart Railtours were the stock going back to Bo'ness, so it makes sense to see it, I'd say.)

My thoughts
    Back when i first got Train Simulator (2014/15, I believe) the two DLCs I got, after a few months, where London - Brighton, and Edinburgh - Glasgow.

I really liked both, however Edinburgh - Glasgow had that sense of familiarity, as a route I often used myself, and I still get that. Brighton Mainline was my experience of a properly busy Mainline (London - Faversham came with the game when I got it, spotting a theme here?), and that was made even better on TSW's recreation, with over 1,200 services - layers excluded - and Gatwick Express in the base package, without buying an extra DLC.

And that's why I feel Edinburgh - Glasgow would be an excellent route for TSW.

With the TS route being set pre-385s and Electrification, this version could pose an all-new, yet similar experience.

I also threw the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway in.
    With it's southern end being on the Edinburgh - Glasgow line, it does have a connection, and a Railtour could run from the Railway onto the Mainline. It would also offer a welcome change of pace, being far more relaxed than the busy Mainline between the two cities.

Let me know what you think, and, vote in the poll! Any feedback? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

10/12/21: Updated to have Edinburgh Waverley Description from ECML North thread.

4/1/21: Updated Queen Street, Bishopbriggs, Lenzie and Croy using descriptions from Glasgow - Perth & Alloa thread, updated services to be more streamlined, updated Croy image to use same as 385 - as it's located there anyway.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I always thought this would be the first Scottish route, seems an obvious choice. Discernible termini at each end and a perfect length for TSW. Plus, you could probably get away with supply one or two items of stock and maybe layers for things like the class 66.

I think even a modern version would be interesting, although the class 385 won't win any beauty contests! Personally I would prefer a 70's or 80's version with top and tailed class 27's or class 47 and DBSO. For a more obscure experience a version with the Swindon Intercity DMU would be even more interesting, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Love this route, one of the best routes that could be made in my opinion. It would definitely be a pre-order for me :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

This route has been requested so many times now it is bound to appear at some point. Especially now Cathcart Circle guarantees Scotrail content. This route really needs updating from the old TS version both graphically and because a lot has changed on the line in the last few years. I would personally like to see both routes via Falkirk High and Falkirk Grahamston with maybe the branch to Stirling as a logical stop/start point. Also including the Grangemouth freight area near Falkirk for container and oil trains with something like a DB or Freightliner Class 66 with FSA/FTA and TEA/TTA wagons added as well. We could even get the ex-GWR Scotrail HSTs with the new doors. Alternatively my second suggestion for Scotland would be Edinburgh to Dundee via the Forth and Tay bridges.

• Like Like x 3
  5. lrodoteuk#4757

lrodoteuk#4757 New Member

Definitely I would enjoy it it would be fun 2 drive 385s

• Like Like x 2
  6. HUGHESF1

HUGHESF1 New Member

Really behind this route, fast commuter services between two excellent rail hubs in Scotland. Really impressive EMU in the Class 385 at 100mph vMax and plenty of potential for layering. One of the TS Classic essentials.

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I'm wondering where does this terminate in Glasgow if it's the same terminal as Cathcart Circle. Then Class 314 can layer here if set at the time of retirement or special timetable mode.

8. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I can also see an LNER HST/800 and/or Avanti 390

9. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Cathcart is set around glasgow central, this would include glasgow queen street, the 314 never went there

• Like Like x 2
  10. trainsimplayer

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the support on this suggestion, especially as it's an older one. As it is an older one, it's also a lower quality, so over the next day or so I'll work to improve that :)

Indeed, the 385 is an excellent modern EMU fit for such a vital service for Scotland. And, it was a classic TS route, so I think the demand is there.
    This route would run between Glasgow's Queen Street terminus and Edinburgh Waverley. The 314 would hardly fit, unless really shoehorned in.
    You must be seeing things. Neither run on this line.

• Like Like x 3
  11. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I am sure LNER services run to Glasgow a few times a day and avanti goes to edinburgh a few times a day, but I will do some research.

EDIT:
    Upon research I have found that Avanti does operate Direct Services from Euston to Edinburgh, though not very often and it probably would not warent the inclusion of a 390 or 221 unless the services from the split point (Where WCML and EDN-GLW split) were included.

https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/train-tickets/search-results

The one I found departs Euston at 8:43 and arives in Scotland at 14:17

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  12. trainsimplayer

Not on this line.

The only connections are between Haymarket and Waverley, with both heading down towards Carstairs from Haymarket, with Avanti going south, and LNER going North-West to Glasgow Central.

• Like Like x 2
  13. trainsimplayer

I've reworked this suggestion now to have plenty more detail, and plenty more talking points.

Here's a list:

• Reworked Introduction
    • Improved 385 Section
      • Image should now link to the stock's Wikipedia article when clicked on, for more information.
    • Improved Stations section
      • Added details about all Stations along the route.
      • Added Edinburgh Park (Previously Missing)
      • Added Images for Glasgow Queen Street, Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Falkirk High, Croy
      • Added Image for Linlithgow (Linlithgow Palace - Landmark)
      • Moved above Services
    • Expanded 'Services' section
      • Included all Croy Line services
        • Added Edinburgh - Dunblane services
      • Added Cumbernauld Line Services
        • Including AI at Glasgow Queen Street
      • Expanded on "Shuttle" Services
    • Added Five Scenario Ideas*
    • Added Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway
      • Station list
      • Rolling Stock (that is already in TSW)
    • Replaced "Why this route?" With "My Thoughts", and expanded on why I'd like to see this route.
    I'll also update this post as I update the original, I'm not finished yet. Just felt like it would be good to let you know where this is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. onepewpew#8391

onepewpew#8391 Member

Tbf although scotrail is a bit meh to me I wouldn’t mind the route and a new diversity of rolling stock instead of dtg constantly reusing what they have

• Like Like x 1
  15. driverwoods#1787

How about making Class 314 the retro train or rail tour

16. trainsimplayer

As I say, it'd need to be really shoehorned in for a Railtour, and, may I ask what exactly you mean by 'Retro train', like in what sense?

17. driverwoods#1787

What I mean by retro train was that it was built from the 1960s-1984 that was when the Mk3 based multiple units began to arrive on electric lines.

18. trainsimplayer

Right, I took it you meant as in the stock that used to be on this line - like a backdated timetable - or something.

Incase you did, I'll give my awnser.

Edinburgh - Glasgow (via Falkirk) was only electrified in full in the last few years, (Edinburgh Park/Haymarket - Edinburgh was in 2010), so the 314 wouldn't be appropriate in that sense. The 314 never seen a single service on this line, and the overlap between the 314 and 385 was short, and only on the Glasgow Suburban lines.

So, in short - the 314 wouldn't fit here at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. trainsimplayer

Just on that, I've double-checked and, due to this suggestion featuring the New Glasgow Queen Street station, the 314 would be impossible to realistically feature. It was withdrawn in 2019 and none have been in any form of service since. And never were on this line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

You put in so much detail and I personally thought this would be a brilliant route to be in tsw. Maybe add more stock such as Class 380's? That is one of my Favourite Trains and I would love to see it in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  21. trainsimplayer

A 380 on this route is jumping into the realm of fiction, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TSW Nathan

Aww ok that's. Shame. I thought there was an occasional if not rare 380 on this route. I guess I'm mistaken for a different route

23. TSW Nathan

The class 385's are hard to see through the front which is my only reason I'm not fond of those trains.

24. TSW Nathan

What about this:?
    upload_2022-7-14_15-1-25.png

25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They do the occasional run, but not enough to populate a timetable in game

• Like Like x 1
  26. TSW Nathan