Emd E9 Streamline Passenger Locomotives

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by trainplayer2019, Jan 28, 2021.

1. trainplayer2019

trainplayer2019 Member

so the E9s were the last series of E-unit diesel electric streamlined passenger locomotives that EMD produced. and had many owners in their life times
    most prominently is the SP 6051 (last survivor for SP) and the triple head UP A unit 951 and 949 with B unit 936B which was upgraded with 1 2000hp EMD 16-645E engine and electrical and controls to meet modern equipment
    link: EMD E9 - Wikipedia
    note: pictures are not mine
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    over head on how long and big these ABSOLUTE UNITS THEY ARE
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

There's always reskins of the Amtrak E8 DLC, but it'd certainly be nice to have the some of the other members of the E series brought into the game proper.

3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Great idea! I especially like the idea of Southern version. E's are my favorite type of streamlined locomotive. God bless and take care.

treid09

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I think I've seen E9s at RWA. But I agree it would not be a bad idea here. Might be a good addition to a redone Cajon Pass, or a trip along the Donner Pass. But since it's UP, it would more likely be assigned duties at Sherman Hill or Linovia.

5. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Those might be reskins of the Britkits E units, I remember having the freely available A units on my previous laptop. They're certainly not the best, so speaking for myself, I'd certainly buy an E9 DLC. And UP did have E units tackle Cajon Pass back in the day, via their trackage rights over the AT&SF, pre-SP acquisition that is.

6. Cyclone

Well yes, they have their own track, but the track we have access to at Cajon is only the BNSF track. So naturally, we can't use the UP track. The crossovers weren't even made between the tracks for realism, meaning scenarios could not use a UP train coming from Mojave merging onto the pass, for example. or an obstruction on the main pass forcing a UP track diversion. A little short-sighted, but again, it was the original US route, so an update is needed to also extend the route and provide new content at the same time.

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Personally I would like to see Union Pacifics older E9, when they were still in passenger service carrying trains like the City of Los Angeles. Would make a great addon for the Wasach Grade.
    120ea908677dc0e23fd6559daa85bb09.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Cyclone

Hmm, what route did it follow out of Los Angeles? It could not have gone towards San Francisco. I'm assuming it travels the Cajon Pass? Might give credence to my idea, among the Los Angeles to San Bernardino options, of having a route between those cities for this train to run on.

I do see San Bernardino on the stop list before Las Vegas. I shall add a link to this thread on my route suggestion thread as I believe both routes between the two cities are ones I suggested.

So naturally, since I suggested the route it travels on for an upgrade and extension, I am 100% behind this idea. I have added a post to my thread over here.

EDIT: There were previously two posts one after the other, known as double-posting. I have combined the posts above.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  9. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

I would really like to see the Southern EMD E9 in TS2021

10. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Well the only difference between the E8 and E9 (cosmetically) is the flush-mounted headlight lens, which shouldn't be hard to achieve with slight blendering, so if someone wanted to, they could take the existing Amtrak E8 and turn it into an E9.

But the question is, does a backdated Cajon Pass exist? Might be something for DTG to consider.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

You have my support on this! I think either DTG or DTM (I'd much rather prefer DTM) could create the E9 and add a variety of UP passenger cars! It would fit perfectly with Sherman Hill, but especially the Wasatch Grade!

• Like Like x 1
  12. trainplayer2019

trainplayer2019 Member

I agree