PC Expected Air Flow?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Mar 15, 2020.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The cab equipment of the two engines included with the Oakville Subdivision route feature one gizmo I've never seen before: a meter that measures "expected air flow" and can be adjusted to set same. What's the purpose of this and should it be tinkered with or just left alone as a sort of eye candy?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would presume that different consists require a different air flow to pressurize and use brakes etc so if you're moving between different consists you might need to adjust this. Not sure if that's true or relevant to TSW use though

3. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks for the theory, Al. I may try fiddling with this setting to find out whether it makes a difference.

4. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

It's just a marker to remind the engineer what the airflow should be. You set it to a highest expected value and anything exceeding that value would be concerning for train line leakage. It doesn't actually adjust anything.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

Well, that's an interesting notion -- or perhaps a fact, since "adamant" didn't mention how he knows this.

6. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

I either saw it on the original Oakville livestream by DTG (which has been taken down) or saw it on another YouTube video. I'm certain I didn't dream it though.:)

I've done a fair bit of research this evening and I'm certain this is the function of the adjustable needle. Here's a section from the Central Maine & Quebec RR Air Brake and Train Handling Rules:

"The air flow meter also provides the following information about the train’s brake system:
    · After a brake application and release, the air flow meter will indicate high flow. As the brake system recharges, the brake pipe flow rate will decrease until the air flow pointer reaches the reference value, indicating that the brake system is recharged.
    · Air flow less than the reference value may indicate a closed angle LOVE. (<-- This says "angle c*ck" but it seems to be censored here:D)
    · Air flow greater than the reference value may indicate increased leakage to the brake system.
    · With a brake application in effect, a decrease in air flow may indicate that an unintentional brake release is occurring.

Engineer Responsibilities
    Once the air flow meter shows a constant reading, the engineer should:
    1. Note the rate of flow and use this number as a reference to determine when the brake system is charged.
    2. If the air flow meter is equipped, adjust the reference pointer to agree with the flow pointer.
    Note: This reading is a reference value to use to monitor fluctuations in air flow to the brake pipe."

I think in TSW it's more or less just something to play with. I doubt leakage (or any abnormal situations for that matter) is simulated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

Now, that's being thorough! Thanks!! In this case, however, the term "angle LOVE" need not be censored. An image of one accompanied by an explanation of its application can be found at https://www.wabtec.com/products/1412/angle-LOVE .

8. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

Haha...these forums are definitely censoring the word "c*ck" from the term "angle c*ck." At least on my screen, every instance of that word is showing as LOVE. Even the link you posted changed the last word to LOVE.

I typed it in correctly, and when I try to edit my post, it shows up as I typed it. However, when submitting the post, it changes it to LOVE.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

So, the forum (or perhaps its mercenary host) imposes automated censorship; but in this instance changing a word rendered the link useless. Since the word in question is a perfectly acceptable railroading, industrial, and plumbing term, the censorship could be labeled oxymoronic, with emphasis on "moronic". I'm almost tempted to write a post containing numerous words likely to be censored just to see whether they all show up as "LOVE". Nah!

10. Trim

Trim Active Member

How come you can say the word in one thread but not in another? I dare say this quote will be mangled, but click on the link to see the word in all its full glory :|
    Edit: It isn't mangled after all. However, I bet I can't just write "angle cocks" outside of a quote and get away with it.

Further edit: Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I can see two "c"s, an "o" and a "k" (although not quite in that order). No LOVE at all.

Another edit: I wonder if it is just the singular word that is affected: Angle LOVE.
    Let's try some others. Cockles and Mussels, Cockfosters, LOVE-a-leekie soup, ballcock

AHA! How bizarre that we aren't allowed a single penis on its own, but other than that we can have as many as we like.

Poppycock!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

While browsing other threads this morning, I've noticed that some words that I consider offensive or, at the least, improper are not censored. I'd like to see a list of the words that are censored and especially those that should not be within a proper context, such as "angle cocx", which I will again point out is a standard part of RR equipment.

AHA!!!!! Sure enough, the censor changed the word under discussion to "LOVE" as this post was added to the form. So, I've modified it to the form in which it now appears and which the censor cannot spot.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

This video might be interesting following the recent turn of this discussion. Mods feel free to delete if unnacceptable?!

13. LastTrainToClarksville

Whoops! I dozed off after the first 3 minutes.

14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

That was actually very interesting and found it very informative.

15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes it is interesting, there are some great films on Youtube from the BR period. Some interesting training videos regarding signals etc

• Like Like x 2