PC F7 Issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Blu, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Blu

Blu Active Member

I've notice On the first Greenbrier Scenario we are asked to put the unit selector switch to 2, but we actually have 3 units A-B-A.

Also of note, and this seems to be intermittent. The exhaust is only visible on the lead unit, but all units are producing power or are making the sounds like they are.

Otherwise I'm loving this route XD

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That is a mistake- but since the Unit Selector switch is purely ornamental and has no in-game effect on anything, it doesn't really matter.

3. Blu

Blu Active Member

I didn't know the unit selector switch was not operational. cheers for the info.

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Matt explained this in both livestreams. The reason the switch was there on real locomotives was because the voltage signal which communicated dynamic brake settings between the locos would become attenuated the farther it went- so the switch was there simply to add levels of amplification depending on the number of units and hence the degree of voltage drop.

(This problem never applied to throttle settings, because they were transmitted using binary code! Yes, in the 1930s. Three pins, each on/off, 0-7 base-2. And that is why US locos always have 8 throttle notches.)

However, TSW doesn't model the attenuation, so there is nothing for the switch to do in-game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

One less thing to worry about forgetting when setting up the cab. :)