1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F7 Questions....

Discussion in 'PlayStation Discussion' started by paulc, Jun 29, 2021.

1. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Got CRR last night & had a heap of fun driving the F7, lots of entertainment had shunting with it too!

1 - What's the difference with Series/Parallel Shunt & just Series/Parallel?

2 Rotair valve, what's the difference between Freight & Freight Lap? I thought the loco had just lapped brakes? Both settings seem to me to do the same thing?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. angelaevans

angelaevans New Member

Got CRR last night & had a heap of fun driving the F7, lots of entertainment had shunting with it too! => congratulations.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

1) The various transition settings are effectively unnecessary in-game, since the F7 has automatic transitions, and Notch 1 (S/P/S) is all you will ever need, besides Off and Brake.). The various positions are not actually manual settings, but more like the shift options with an automatic-transmission car. Series-parallel disables field shunting (which you should never do), and parallel restricts the engine to parallel-only operation (used IRL for max tractive force pulling very heavy trains up grades)- the equivalent of "Low" on your car's shifter). I don't know if these are actually modeled in the game at all.
    On the SD40, the lever has no effect on the loco at all; it is only there to control transitions in trailing non-automatic locos (which don't exist in-game, but which were still in service in many places when the SD40 came out in 1964).

2) "Freight lap" is used for trailing engines, i.e. ones without a driver. Your cab should be set to "Freight." (This basically sets up trailing locos to hold whatever BP reduction the lead loco dials up)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thanks Solicitr