F7 Questions....

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paulc, Jun 29, 2021.

1. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Got CRR last night & had a heap of fun driving the F7, lots of entertainment had shunting with it too!

1 - What's the difference with Series/Parallel Shunt & just Series/Parallel?

2 Rotair valve, what's the difference between Freight & Freight Lap? I thought the loco had just lapped brakes? Both settings seem to me to do the same thing?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. angelaevans

angelaevans New Member

Got CRR last night & had a heap of fun driving the F7, lots of entertainment had shunting with it too! => congratulations.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

1) The various transition settings are effectively unnecessary in-game, since the F7 has automatic transitions, and Notch 1 (S/P/S) is all you will ever need, besides Off and Brake.). The various positions are not actually manual settings, but more like the shift options with an automatic-transmission car. Series-parallel disables field shunting (which you should never do), and parallel restricts the engine to parallel-only operation (used IRL for max tractive force pulling very heavy trains up grades)- the equivalent of "Low" on your car's shifter). I don't know if these are actually modeled in the game at all.
    On the SD40, the lever has no effect on the loco at all; it is only there to control transitions in trailing non-automatic locos (which don't exist in-game, but which were still in service in many places when the SD40 came out in 1964).

2) "Freight lap" is used for trailing engines, i.e. ones without a driver. Your cab should be set to "Freight." (This basically sets up trailing locos to hold whatever BP reduction the lead loco dials up)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thanks Solicitr