Favorite Routes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigMountain555, Feb 13, 2020.

1. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, just wondering which route is your favorite and why.

When I started playing these simulators a year ago, I was primarily interest in passenger services. I had a preference for US routes although I am Canadian. Over time, I started to like freight services. I also developed a like for German routes. I eventually started to like UK routes. I have since purchased routes from US, Germany, UK, France, Japan, Canada, and China.

I do not have a clear favorite, but I play routes based on the mood I am in. For example, I was tired after work and just wanted to relax and listen to some podcasts. I played the Canadian Mountain Passes because it is scenic and very relaxing. Other times, I feel like being on my toes so I play a busy passenger line such as South London, Chatham Mainline, or Peninsula Corridor.

I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts are regarding routes they like/enjoy/prefer. I am not interested in gripes and complaints which are all too common on this forum. Just looking for positivity for once. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Hey, good question. I'm hoping some may remind me of DLC I've purchased and not tried yet.

My "default" has always been GEML as I live 4 miles from the route and commute on it so I guess that's my favourite, especially as I can drive the excellent Class 321 by Armstrong Powerhouse. Never tire of it, I do hope we get newer rolling stock for it soon.

WCML v5.2 is my absolute favourite though. For me it shows how good TS can be with some care and attention to detail. That it's free is remarkable.

Honourable mention to the Virtual District Line. Again freeware and even though the cab views are a little basic, the route is quality as are the sounds. I really hope they make it out to Upminster one day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I find my tastes don't actually change, but expand over time with this sim. At first, I hated the BR 101 on the Weardale and Teesdale route because of the gears. Now I absolutely love driving the BR-101 and BR-105.

I have a preference for modern routes but Weardale and Teesdale is definitely one of my favourite routes. It's incredible in every way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I don't really have a favourite type of route as I enjoy all types of railways. However, recently I'm spending a lot of time on rural Scottish Highland routes (Kyle and West Highland South) and first generation routes like Somerset & Dorset and ECML (York - Newcastle). I don't have an uber PC, so I prefer frame rate easy routes and having discovered the editor I love modifying and improving the routes. I have a personal discipline of only using the assets provided in the route and the common DTG libraries. Maybe it's a way of trying to show what could have been achieved with more time and love! With Google Maps, Google Earth (for historical maps) and internet research you can significantly improve both the look and accuracy of these routes. If I'm honest I'd have to say that the scenery modelling can be more enjoyable than driving, but I do like to tick off Steam achievements now and then. That's satisfying too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3