Feature Request: Free Roam

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mailerdemon, Mar 19, 2021.

1. mailerdemon

mailerdemon Member

Hi all,

Several routes in TSW include yards or industrial areas which are essentially inaccessible and unusable to the player because no scenario/service uses them and they aren't included in Scenario Planner paths. And going off path in an existing scenario works only insofar as one doesn't encounter a signal (which will then most likely be red) or an automatic switch (which can't be set by the player).

I'd thus like to propose a return of Free Roam mode from TS 2021, in which the player gets to freely drive where they want to -- all signals are green and all switches, manuals and autos, can be thrown freely.

Maybe this could be set up similar to Scenario Planner: the player is given a selection of start points in interesting areas to pick from (yards, industries, large stations, etc.) and the surrounding sidings are then randomly populated with static cuts of cars. No AI trains, so there won't be any worry of blocking paths or signals.

I believe this ought to bring new life and much enjoyment to existing routes. Imagine the fun one could have in Cumberland Yard or the vast steel mill on Tees Valley!

• Like Like x 2
  2. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

What does the off the rails option do? Can you not place the train anywhere you want? I'm totally unfamiliar with this btw, I'll try & have a play with it tonight & see.

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Off the rails allows a train that wouldn't run on the route in reality to be used. For example if you made a scenario with the ice in bakerloo, then you can use the ice on the Bakerloo line.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Off The Rails only allows you to drive pre-defined paths that are already registered in the route.

5. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Excellent thanks :)

6. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Personally, i'd like an idea of a Free roam because i can spwan at the Abandoned station on The Seaford branch on ECW [Not Newhaven Marine]