First Time Tsw Player - Wait Til Tsw2 Comes Out?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by coachjohncrewe, Jul 3, 2020.

1. coachjohncrewe

coachjohncrewe New Member

Hello,
    I'm in the process of starting out with TSW. I'm not currently a gamer and have no hardware so am planning to buy Xbox just to play TSW. Obvs I've seen that TSW 2 is coming out, so my exam question is, do I wait for this and buy this or do I buy TSW 2020?

Related question is - there are lots of add ons available for TSW 2020 (or earlier versions) which I would like. However, if I buy TSW 2, would I only be able to use the three routes on TSW 2, or would I be able to buy TSW 2020 (or earlier) add ons and use on TSW 2? Or would I have to wait for more TSW 2 specific routes to be released as add ons? And how long would the earlier version add ons be available for?

I'm sure TSW 2020 would be fine for my needs, but I don't want to hamstring myself if I'd be better off waiting for and getting TSW 2.

Thanks
    JC

2. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would say, look up what routes you want to play and then decide. All TSW2020 Routes and Locos will work with TSW2 at some point, but not all at launch. Which of the old stuff we will get at launch in TSW2 they have not released yet.
    If you are constrained on money, then i would suggest to wait for TSW2 and then buy DLC that is available for it in sales.

• Like Like x 1
  3. coachjohncrewe

Thanks pal..........hmmmm obvs I don't want to purchase TS2020 routes/locos now, only to find that they don't work at launch....presume they will release details of which will work on launch before the launch?

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you buy TSW2020 you will get many routes in one bundle, which may turn out cheaper than getting them all for TSW2, if those are routes you would buy in the future. They will then be available to download into TSW2 for free once they have been ‘preserved’ for that use.

TSW2020 is probably your best bet if you want the routes available for it, as nobody can be absolutely sure yet that the routes for that game will work properly in TSW2. They probably will work just as well but as TSW2 is a new title there may be teething troubles at the start. We don’t yet know what routes will be available in the preserved collection at the launch of TSW2.

Also one thing that I have picked up on from the forum is that Xbox is the worst platform to buy TSW on. PS4 is better. Xbox players seem to have been having more problems lately with game crashes and the Microsoft store is terrible. Sorry if that adds to your confusion but I thought it was worth mentioning before you commit to a purchase.

5. coachjohncrewe

Ok that's interesting. I haven't committed yet and I tried to find out which was best console and I'd read Xbox......so now you've got me thinking !

Ref your first point - my understanding is the only British routes included are Great Western Mainline and Trans-pennine plus four foreign routes, but you mention many routes? Or are those six what you mean?

Thanks

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, those are the routes. Don’t dismiss the US and German routes as they include some of the best stuff. Six routes were included in the PS4 version of TSW2020. GWE, NTP, LIRR, MSB (and Rapid Transit and NEC New York, which weren’t advertised as being included but were). The TSW2020 Deluxe edition has an extra route too, Peninsula Corridor Californian route, which is very good. With the exception of NEC all the routes are good, so you get a lot of content for a smaller price. All other routes are DLC. I’m not sure if you can buy GWE as a standalone DLC or if you have to buy the base bundle to get that.

7. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Best console choice, without doubt, is the Xbox One X (you can keep it on forever, it's ultra-silent and never overheats. In addition to having hardware that is objectively superior to the PS4 Pro). But keep in mind that this is not the best period to buy a new console or PC (IMO), simply because in few months I suppose all the prices of current hardware will move drastically down.
    So (always IMO) the best choice is to waiting for next generation coming (end of 2020) and then making your choice without excluding a good gaming PC (with current hardware) at very interesting/competitive price (or if you prefer consoles, the new Xbox X Series or the PS5).

Anyways, based on personal experience plus the several threads in this forum, if you like to buy now, I suggest to don't take an Xbox One Standard and S, in this case, PS4 Pro it's absolutely the better choice.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020