Flickering Logos On Trains, Billboards, Signs, Etc

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Easy301, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm getting back into trainsim since last playing around 2015 or so, I actually don't remember if this is just an engine with the rendering engine or an issue with my system or configuration.

Basically, at some ranges and angles things likes the front of train, billboards, sign posts etc seem to have their texture flicker back and forth.

This is prominent on the front of my US disel locos when pressing the 4 key for the camera view that's set at a distance, if there's a billboard in the distance the top texture (picture on the billboard) will flicker in and out of existence. On the trains it's more of a black flicker almost like a shadow flicker.

I've seen a bit of this in various videos I've been watching but is this really a problem with the render without a way to correct it? Is there anything I can do?

I don't think it's a system config issue l:
    32 of ram
    2560x1080 Ultrawide
    Rtx2080

I'd really love to play TSC again but this issue is so discouraging and I've tried everything, various settings, drivers, etc.

Any ideas or at least confirmation this is just the elgame engine and not something wrong with my setup?

Edit: You can see an almost perfect and exact example at 4:42 in this video when the user zooms in you'll see the flickering billboard to the right down the track, is that normal?

Here a screenshot from another video showing the flicker as it's in progress, there's a big black spot on the front of the BNSF loco near the door.

[​IMG]

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's a thing, it's not going away either, you do get used to it/ignore it.

Z fighting (where one textured image over another fight for visibility) becomes more apparent on overlaid child objects the further you are away from them until the point that the model is no longer visible, TS (a game that's been around since 2009 remember) is not the only game to suffer this, in fact look closely enough around the GTA-V world you'll see it there too (and Rockstar are a bit bigger than DTG and GTA-V is a lot newer too).

Nothing in your settings or the specs of your PC will have any effect on this either I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1