For Pzb Modes....when Is A Freight Train Considered 'heavy'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Djb1990, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

I've recently tried to get the hang of using pzb on the German routes and am pretty much on top of it when it comes to passenger trains, but I can't figure out when I should use M or U pzb modes on freight services.

I get that generally you would use M for lighter trains with good brakes, and U for heavy freight. But, when would you consider a freight train heavy?

For example the br 185 on MSB seems to default to M mode as its brakes seem fairly decent. Would you ever need to change to U with this loco? What is considered heavy for this train? Over 1000 tonnes?

Is there a general rule of thumb I can use, or is it just a matter of trying M mode, and if the train doesn't stop before the red signal then I probably should have been using U mode?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

In reality, your brake mode is depending on something called "Bremshunderstel" (something like braking percent), and the type of brake the train has. It is calculated based on the actual weight of the train and on the braking weight (the latter depending on the braking capabilities of the train). The number you get then decides what your maximum speed is and which PZB mode to use. Since braking weight is not available on TSW (way too complex of a topic anyway to explain in short), there is no real telling which the correct mode is. If you are curious:
    111 and more --> PZB mode "O"
    66-110 --> "M"
    less than 65 --> "U"
    If you are even more curious and understand German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremshundertstel

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Yeah I did read about those calculations that the drivers do in real life when I was trying to find an answer. Honestly though I haven't got the time or patience for that ;P

I was hoping there would be a little cheat sheet or something, but it looks like I'll just have to take my best guess and hope for the best

4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Well if you want, especially in TSW2, you can estimate it at least. You get the weight of the train when you start the trip, and the information about the brake weight is written on each car. Since there are only that many different waggons in the game, it might be manageable :)