Forum Suggestion: Sub-forums For Different Types Of Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by goldenage, Sep 9, 2021.

1. goldenage

goldenage New Member

Hello,

I think that certain categories in this forum would benefit from sub-forums, particularly the 'suggestions' area. I suggest splitting it down, for example:
    • Feature/improvement suggestions
    • Route suggestions
    • Loco suggestions
    This would be beneficial as it would allow people to browse particular suggestion types in which they are interested, without (for example) having to scroll through every "DTG sHoulD mAke my LocaL liNe" suggestion!

A similar effect (but with diminished effectiveness, in my opinion) could be achieved by adding post tags, such as those in the technical issues section.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'd prefer tags over subforums.

Still doesn't fix people using non-descriptive titles for their topics.

More annoyingly are the topics that, once you click them, only have a few lines of text in them, without any proper description and images. I hate suggestions when people can't even be bothered to spend some time and effort in them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The forum used to have separate forum pages for each type of suggestion. It was changed to just one page because it saves people having to browse lots of different lists to see what’s been posted and the thread titles should make it clear what is being suggested. It’s unlikely to be changed back to how it was, it’s much tidier now. You do get people who title their thread as ‘route suggestion’ which is of no help of course.

4. goldenage

goldenage New Member

If stujoy is right, then this would seem like a better idea after all. Anything to separate out the (usually pointless) route and loco suggestion from genuine feature suggestions would be valuable, in my view.

I doubt there is much to be done about people posting dud suggestions, short of some pretty strict moderation (which doesn't seem to be the style of this forum).

5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't mind a more strict moderatorship over these suggestion forums to filter out all the badly made suggestions (useless topic title, or only a few lines of text with no effort put into it), but I realize that requires more manual work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Don't see much point, as you and Purno say, Tags would be a better alternative. Even at that it's always easy (at least list of the time) to tell what is what.
    This wouldn't make any difference. They'd still happen, and the best that anyone can do is help newer members in how to make a suggestion. I plan on making a little guide to it.

The only way to stop them would be moderation, but the line between 'detailed' and 'not' is very blurred in reality.