Four Questions: Ecw Run 2g55, Medal Score Thresholds, Route Map Legend, Speed Vs. Accuracy

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Calidore266, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

1. How does one manage a gold medal in East Coastway run 2G55 (Hastings to Brighton via Eastbourne)? You're stopped by a red signal before the first station, as a train that starts after you is given the right of way, causing you to pull in a few minutes late. I've run this twice now, the first time still being over three minutes behind schedule when reaching Brighton, and the second time braking much more aggressively at stops/slowdowns and finishing less than thirty seconds late, but I only got a silver both times (never mind passenger whiplash, I want my gold). So I tried cheating by A) leaving my train before starting to take over the other one and sabotage it somehow, but that only offered to put me on a different run entirely; and B) running ahead at the red signal to manually close the switch and thus prevent the other train from crossing over and blocking me, but there was no lever. Can someone offer any tips for victory, honest or otherwise?

2. I also realized that I have no idea what score qualifies you for a gold in the first place. The scenarios show the medal score thresholds for those runs, but is there any way to check in journeys and timetables?

3. Is there a guide anywhere to the symbols on the zoomable route map?

4. From a scoring standpoint, do you lose more points for being slow or for stopping short or long? And for that matter, is there a difference between stopping short and long?

• Like Like x 2
  2. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

In some services from Eastbourne in ECW, you can be blocked by an eastbound train if you start normally. When you load a game, all other trains will have to start from a stop, spend some time accelerating and then cause some delay on the timetable.

One possible workaround is to spawn on foot about 10 minutes in advance (via the Explore on Foot option if you don't know). In that way the train will arrive and leave mostly on time without blocking you.

Also, the score is generally like:

Driving under the speed limit: +30 per 400 yards
    Stop on time (less than 30s delay): +500
    Stop precisely: +500

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

4. you lose way more points for being late. The worst overshooting still gave me around 460 points whereas by running late I've dipped into the lower 300s.
    As far as I know, there is no difference between stopping short and long, the points seem to be based entirely on your distance from the "ideal" stopping point.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

Yes, it's true, you lose 30 or 35 seconds because also when it turns green you have the limit of 15 mlh. but in the next 2 stops you can easily recover them. don't lose your cool and face your game normally. you get the gold.

5. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

So if arriving at a station late loses you lots of AP’s is it worth actually setting a train up properly?

When I drive the Class 101 DMU for example I like to have the marker lights at both ends showing the correct colour, the destination plate set correctly and lit up, the train lights and dash lights on, etc, etc, etc. All this takes time especially with PS4 sticky control pad levers, the trouble is your not really given the time to do all this setting up because if you do you often leave late.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AGoodJudge2

AGoodJudge2 Active Member

I usually set up the rear cab at the first station stop as there's never enough time before you're due to depart the starting station. That's if you choose the service from timetable mode. Or you could always spawn 5 minutes before departure time and take over the train, which would give you more time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't know whether the start time on PS4 is different, but on PC you get about 120 seconds from scenario load to set off time
    I usually get the front cab live and the doors open, then run down the rear of the train and do the rear lights (and destination blind if necessary) then run back, get the lights done as the doors close and then do the rest as I set off

It's a rush but it's doable

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. shhweeet#4292

Ive read a lot about this phrase spawn / spawning but I’m not sure what is meant by it? Is it something to do with being a foot passenger and if so how does it work? The spawning I mean not actually entering into the actual passenger mode to be a passenger which I know how to do.

Surely though if TSW2 is meant to be a simulation shouldn’t DTG have allowed a proper amount of time to set a train up however the player wants it to be before a service / run actually starts? I mean have you ever seen a train driver rushing / running about trying to set everything up while the passengers get on board in just 2 or 3 mins because I haven’t. Things like setting a train up are done before the train starts it’s actual time table isn’t it?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  9. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

So if you want to take the, like 18:45 service from Hempstead to Penn, you can use the "Explore on Foot" option and choose Hempstead at 18:40. Then you will have 5 minutes to go to the platform, sit in the cab and set up the train. We have PIS now so you can easily find the train, and I believe 5 minutes before departure (actually 6 because in this case the train leaves one minute after the "service" starts) is enough for most of the trains.

EDIT: When you sit in the cab, you can check the timetable of the current (or upcoming) service. You can always leave and pick another train. So when you cannot figure out which train to take over, you can just get on each one and check the timetable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. AGoodJudge2

AGoodJudge2 Active Member

When you've chosen your desired route from the main menu, select explore, then explore on foot. After choosing the weather conditions, you can select any station (or freight yard) and any time of day. You can only choose times in 5-minute increments. Choose a time 5 minutes or so before the train you want to drive is due to depart, and if the train is already in the platform take over as driver. That will give you an extra few minutes to set up.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. shhweeet#4292

Thanks for the explanations. Does it work in journey mode?

12. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

When you spawn on foot and take over a train you'll always get a timetable service. So the answer is no, I'm afraid.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

However, the medal you get for any particular service is the same no matter which mode you do it in (or even locomotive, if substitutions are available). So you could run the route in Journey mode and if you get silver or bronze and want the gold, run it again in foot/timetable and the medal will be upgraded across the board, including for journey mode.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Thanks as always for the responses! Unfortunately, I didn't think to mention that I was talking about journey mode, so I'm glad someone else brought that up.

Although...

My understanding from other threads was that journeys affect timetables and scenarios, but not the other way around due to journey tasks having specific parameters set. Does that not apply to medal upgrades? If getting the silver in journey means I can upgrade it to gold in the timetable, then I can try the strategies above.

Still hoping someone has answers for 2 and 3.

15. kekanha#4892

at the beginning, at the start they give 2 mnts. He arrives to go back in the 6-car javelin and put on the tail lights. I always have time ???, also the 101 is short, it's 90 yards. the javelin are 130 and I have time. well it depends on how you put it. you get nervous better forget

16. kekanha#4892

the truth is that in northerm trans pennine the schedules are tight, but, it takes 20 points per minute, while in GWExpress, they take 40 per minute but the schedules are less tight. you don't always lose the same points per minute. In rapid transit, you only earn 250 points instead of the normal 500 at the start. there are routes in which you take 1 mnt to load, others less than 30 seconds. If you do not worry with a small delay, it is normal for you to recover. You get nervous, you make mistakes and you lose a lot of points. It is not the fault of the routes, it is our fault.