Fp40-2cat

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by RGoodellSr, Nov 15, 2020.

1. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I don't understand how I keep killing this engine. I do braking operations, and then the next thing I know I don't hear the engine running, and no one's home. I know the engine is not running because the throttle does nothing. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.

2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I think you accidentally put the throttle into stop.

3. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I recognize the stop setting, how do you fix it?

4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I had this problem *a lot* when I was first coming up to speed with the F40PH in the Caltrain route... was very frustrating for me as a newbie. I would just be careful not to camp on the deceleration button for too long when trying to slow down, which should then help you from accidentally shutting down the engine. This is what worked for me... good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

It might not actually be the engine is shutting down. The braking on this loco is tricky, if you are too harsh, especially if you put it into emergency accidently (which is very easy to do), you can trigger the PCS- Pneumatic Control Switch. This will show as an orange light on the desk and it will prevent you taking power until it is reset. Somebody else will be better able to explain it's function, but you have to wait for it to reset - a sort of "time out" following a emergency brake application.

The brakes on this loco are manually lapped, so you have to apply some brake and then move the handle back to hold/lapped. if you need more brake, move it again into service and then back to hold. Look at how the needles on the gauges move as you apply the brake..

If you leave it the handle in apply/service for too long then the PCS seems to trigger.

From the manual

Resetting PCS on the Electro-Motive F40PH-2CAT When the Pneumatic Control Switch (or PCS) is open, the train brakes cannot be released, and the throttle controls are deactivated. To operate your train again you must reset the PCS. You can tell if it is activated by looking for the illuminated PCS OPEN indicator. Once the train has come to a complete stop, follow these steps: If there is an alarm such as the Alerter sounding, acknowledge it (Q Key).
    1. Set the Throttle to Idle
    2. Set the Reverser to Neutral
    3. Set the Independent Brake to Full Application.
    4. Set the Automatic Brake to Emergency
    5. Wait for 60 seconds
    6. Release the Automatic Brake and wait for the Equalising Reservoir / Brake Pipe to return to 90 psi While the Automatic Brake is releasing, you will need to put the Throttle in to Notch 1 so that the compressor can recharge the Main Reservoir. Once the Equalising Reservoir and Brake Pipe needles have returned to 90 psi, and the main reservoir has recharged to 140 psi, put the Throttle back to Idle. You should now be able to release the Independent Brake, set the Reverser and apply Throttle.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  6. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

It was the throttle 'stop' position. I've never run into that before and didn't know how to recover.

Why would you engineer an engine kill setting into the throttle, for what purpose?

7. Stockton Rails

I read some info yesterday in an old WP manual on this engine-stop feature built into the throttle... here’s what I’ve learned:

In real life, there’s a mechanical ‘stop’ built into the actual throttle slide that prevents the engineer from accidentally moving the throttle handle into the stop position from the idle position. If the engineer really wants to move the handle into the engine-stop position, he has to pull out the throttle handle a bit in order to move the handle from idle to stop. Unfortunately, I don’t think DTG has done anything special to somehow replicate this mechanical ‘stop’ protection when using PC keyboards or console controllers... and if you hit the decelerate button one too many times, you’ll likely shutdown your engine.

In addition (IRL), it appears this engine stop feature will shutdown *all* engines in the consist (not just the lead unit)- I’m assuming this means any locos directly connected via MU cable to the lead unit. Unsure if this feature is modeled in the train sim correctly... but that’s an easy test for anyone to run. As to why this engine shutdown feature exists with the throttle handle, I haven’t seen any info on that so far. I would guess the designers wanted to provide a quick way for the engineer to shutdown all engines in the consist in an emergency... possibly in an emergency stop in order to decrease stopping distance?

...info in an old WP manual on throttle control (and engine-stop position), pgs 106-107:
    https://wplives.org/wphistory_wp_documents/WP_OPERATING_MANUAL_GP9_LOCOMOTIVES.pdf

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

Excellent info, thank you

9. Stockton Rails

...you’re welcome. If I find any add’l info on this, I’ll update my original post. Will probably post the link to that WP manual I found as well.

• Like Like x 1