Free Scenarios That Don't Also Require 10+ Paid Dlc?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I'm starting to have a go at the scenarios included in TS with my routes etc, mainly sticking to the shorter ones since I can't really devote 70 mins + for one (I guess I could save it and continue?)

Anyway, I just wanted to ask about additional sources of scenarios that:

1) are free, but don't require 10-20 other DLC etc that that cost money (thinking ATS)
    2) cost money in themselves (JT).

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can have a stab at making some, but in the meantime, any tips gratefully appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Using the Steam Workshop is your best bet. A huge number of scenarios that only require 1 or 2 DLCs. Anything you find on ATS, JT, or really any community website is usually going to have a laundry list of requirements.

3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

In the early days of the workshop (scenarios) DTG were quite restrictive in what could be posted - in that if you had the route (not always) you could use a WS scenario without any addons.
    So it may be worth trying to find WS scenarios from an earlier period.
    There are still scenarios being posted on the WS today that only require the DTG route and its associated DLC.

4. inversnecky

Indeed!

Despite buying tons of stuff over the sales, I look at the requirements for some of these scenarios on ATS and realise that though I might have the routes, I have only 5% of the stipulated enhancements or other trains.

5. inversnecky

Thanks, Peter. Just learned that much of what’s in the actual Workshop tab won’t work because of a TS bug, but is included in Standard Scenarios (btw, I thought Standard scenarios were just non scored versions of the Career ones, but there seem a lot fewer?).

Will look more at the Workshop offerings....

6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Some Standard scenarios are just non-scored Career scenarios. Most aren't. Some routes have only Career. Some only Standard. Some both. DTG really did make a mess of it.

7. inversnecky

Been browsing the Worksshops on Steam - seems a much better bet for scenarios that don't require three figure sums for extra DLC.

When I search by route, it's interesting that many main routes have zero Workshop scenarios, yet others have hundreds or thousands! (Think London to Brighton held the record for ones I looked at with over 1,700 scenarios).

8. Peter Hayes

I
    Peter. Just learned that much of what’s in the actual Workshop tab won’t work because of a TS bug, but is included in Standard Scenarios (btw, I thought Standard scenarios were just non scored versions of the Career ones, but there seem a lot fewer?).
    Sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me??? A lot fewer than what?
    The vast majority of WS scenarios are "STANDARD" - which may also be timetabled - see below.

The "bug" not necessarily a TS one (could be due to Steam) is in the interface between the Workshop and TS. Sometimes you can get a "corrupt" scenario that gives a scenario database OOM in TS or the menu tells you that you do not have the requisite DLC when you do.
    IMO - you should never start and run a scenario from the Workshop tab - just use the Career, Standard, Free Roam or Quick Drive tabs choose the route and the scenario will be there under the appropriate locomotive. The best way to download and run workshop scenarios is to manually download and install them - no interface OOM's then.

Standard scenarios are the base of all scenarios in TS - they allow you to drive the train without having to be a pseudo Formula 1 racing car driver in order to get to the next station on time and not lose any points. What has anyone done with those points anyway? Up until a few years ago DTG published Standard and Career scenarios with every route - that changed - and now only Career scenarios come with any DTG route.
    Standard scenarios can also be timetabled, and they can tell you that you have "failed" if you do not meet certain timings or stop at the wrong part of the station - I avoid those like the plague - or edit out the timings and messages.
    Career Scenarios are a joke - they do not represent anything to do with the way that you drive a train - I find them annoying especially those spurious messages on my driving techniques - haven't played one since 2013.
    Armstrong Powerhouse uses a hybrid variant of Standard/Career scenarios that are called "TIMETABLED" (appear as Standard in the TS menus) - I just change those in TS with TS_Tools to Standard, and remove the timings using the TS Editor..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  9. inversnecky

Well I just hope these points don’t stay on your record! :)

The one and only time I’ve tried a career one so far, I had to answer a call or something, and left the train running.

When I returned, I found the train derailed with the debrief giving a veritable litany of other infractions, predominantly speeding.

I had lost over 4,000 points!

Hopefully the points can be reset to zero, should I ever decide to try the Formula One circuit again, or I’ll be paying off my ‘debt’ for a long time in the future!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  10. Peter Hayes

I
    I have been simming in TS since 2012 - have accumulated zero points and my achievements are at a whopping 8%.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

maybe use the PAUSE Button :D :D :D

• Like Like x 2