Freeing Up Space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Mar 6, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Apologies - this has likely been answered before, but a quick recap is required for me!

I have TS installed on Laptop and PC, but because of taking advantage of sales, and getting extra DTG routes, my laptop only is fast running out of space, which I need to reclaim.

If I untick certain DLC in the Steam client on my laptop, will it remove them just from my laptop and not the PC, or will it synchronise across both? That would be the ideal solution.

If Steam does synchronise across both, I'll likely have to bin some AP installs from my laptop - can I just locate and delete folders for AP locos and MUs, or do I need to follow some removal process to avoid any issues?

Thanks as always....

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

No... not reclaim... expand. By a bigger hard drive.

I'm no9t sure, but last time I did this, I lost some signals on one route, and half of Preston station.

Just buy a bigger hard drive. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb...d-1gb-cache-read-560mb-s-write-530mb-s-98k-88

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

4. Pookeyhead

Nah.. loads of laptops let you change drives, ram and batteries without voiding warranty. Besides... you'd first clone the drive, then then replace it... not add a second. (unless it DID have space).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  5. inversnecky

It was just a very sudden concern with an immediate solution required, as I got a couple of the old TSs on sale, which included a few routes, needing about 6GB of space. I'll just try and get as much other stuff onto an external drive as possible in the meantime and uninstall unused programs.

6. Pookeyhead

Be aware that as you fill up a SSD (or indeed any drive) it's performance falls through the floor. I consider my drives "full" when they reach 75%~80%

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  7. inversnecky

My SSD is 250GB, with 150GB free until I discovered TS before Christmas, and that was 120GB filled up in weeks with DLC, and I was down to about 12GB before this sale. I have paused the download at about 2GB free!

8. Pookeyhead

New drive time.

9. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I have TS on my dad's system as well as my own. It's frankly unsuitable for TS and I've kept several of the more demanding routes off it because it simply wouldn't cope with them. This has had no effect on my main install.

10. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

My Trainsimulator/Railworks file takes up 328 GB but I am not using SSD because I have no problem waiting for the extra loadingtime.

And I do not own all DLC.

11. inversnecky

I've unticked one new route from my laptop, and will see what happens when I get on the PC, if Steam will download it or not, trying to mirror my laptop Steam settings.

If it doesn't try to synchonise the DLC, that would be great, so I can uncheck the vast bulk of routes from my laptop and just keep a few favourites.

I have uninstalled a few programs I don't really use and a disk clean up - amazing that Windows had over 1GB of thumbnails autogenerated.

12. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

I use:

Ace utilities
    Aschampoo WinOptimizer
    Avg TuneUp
    Diskcleaner
    TweakNow
    Norton Utilties

And when I have updated Windows I can sometimes clean up to 3-6 GB just junkfiles and when I have done a new instalation it can clean up to 10GB unneeded files.

13. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

As replied on the Steam Community form having 2 different installs on 2 PC's does not usually present a problem.
    The only issue that I can see is if you verify the game files on the laptop then some DLC on the laptop may be reinstalled.

14. inversnecky

I've unticked half a dozen routes I've never used on my laptop, and all seems ok. Steam seems not to try to synchronise, but to allow differential installations on different devices, thank heavens.

15. Pookeyhead

WCML over Shap DEFINITELY uses an asset from a US route for the front of Preston station. I tried to remove all US routes because I never use them, and half of Preston disappeared. I never found which route... I just put everything back.

Hard drives are cheap.

16. trev123

trev123 Active Member

1 TB SSDs are fairly cheap these days. You can get one for the price today for what you use to pay for a 250 GB SSD about 5 or more years ago. You could buy one for about 128 pounds. That price is from converting NZ dollars to UK Pounds.

17. Pookeyhead

Looks like you're being ripped off in NZ then, as they're less than £90 here.

18. inversnecky

If I’m going to buy a larger SSD, it’ll be for the PC, though, not my laptop. As I say, it’s just a secondary installation. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  19. inversnecky

Will have to have a look. In the DLC list, I think I saw US Assets listed or something, didn’t touch any of that.

20. JJTimothy

I believe WCML Over Shap uses Ye Olde US Loco's and Assets Pack. WCML North certainly does.

21. Pookeyhead

I never pinned it down... I just just re-ticked everything, and decided to just leave everything alone... and bought a bigger drive.

22. JJTimothy

I think as a general principle routes distributed by Dovetail don't use other routes as dependencies. There are caveats to that of course- you may find Workshop scenarios fail because they use rolling stock or assets from a deleted route and third party routes, be they commercial or freeware, definitely do use other routes as dependencies. Broadly though if you're going to remove something to free up space make it a route and leave anything that makes scenery.

An ideal solution. In fact you're going to need something to fill that space- I recommend Stainmore.