Freight Train Reversing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by montes_1234, Nov 23, 2020.

1. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

When reversing freight train, particularly switcher how will the driver know what is happening at the other end of the train, or should I say at the front of the train when it is reversing. So how to look at signals, obstacles, stops, etc?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

In North America, the conductor/brakeman will ride the leading car/locomotive and relay info to the engineer over the radio.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

In the UK I would imagine they use a banksman, ie someone with a radio that tells the driver what the back end is doing. The speed would also be severely restricted

• Like Like x 3
  4. Smograil

Smograil Member

Exactly that. These days they are called a shunter, they walk in front of the train (in a position of safety) with a radio

Its called propelling and there are various rules and regulations around it, especially outside of yards

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Some shunters have a remote control as well so you could be directly next to train or at the rear if needed. I have seen that in both DE, USA and UK trains

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  6. montes_1234

Yes, great post.
    That thing (some kind of remote control) is present on the DLC BR363 for RSN, but it just sits in cab like it was modelled but is not functional. So that would be a great new feature for TSW. It would add a ton to the immersion. Driving backwards without some help either by the remote control or a shunter or a banksman is so unrealistic but also impossible from the cab view.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I always shunt like this:
    Use camera 3 and position it on the last wagon where the shunter would be and tadaa, you have remote feature.. :cool:
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. montes_1234

Yes of course. But would be cool to think about the posibility to stop the train, take remote controller shut the cabin door and walk to the end of the train and climb last wagon, and just than starting the loco remotely. Priceless...

• Like Like x 4
  9. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I just skip the point to take the remote control, shut the door and walking to the back, press 3 and position the camera and
    then I turn on speedometer HUD as my remote control.
    I understand what you mean but this is not a priority for me in TSW 2.

For deeper shunting similation but at the cost of the graphic I can recommend Derail Valley!
    20200626190710_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. JGRudnick

Yes, a remote controller function would be neat to see in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

lol that would also be some programming and probably easy to break in updates
    i doubt it will ever be working in train sim world

12. montes_1234

BR 363 Remote control?
    TSW2_Marko_1606161838_00.png

13. JGRudnick

Yep, that is a remote control box.

• Like Like x 2
  14. talhariaz

talhariaz New Member

In situations like this, having a banksman or signaler can be extremely helpful for the train driver. The banksman can communicate with the driver through hand signals or a radio to indicate any obstacles, stops, or signals that the driver may not be able to see from their position at the back of the train. It's important for the banksman to have a clear view of the track and be able to communicate effectively with the driver. This can ensure the safety of everyone involved and prevent any accidents or mishaps during the reversing process.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Correct. If view of man/woman on the ground is lost or radio is not answered after a few seconds the train will be stopped until communication can be re-established. I think most companies/operators have this methodology these days.

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This subject came up some time ago with the release of Clinchfield, and discussion of the F7B repurposed as a shunter at Haysi. Matt pointed out that the "driver's seat" for game purposes need not be the one in the cab; it could just as easily be a folding chair.

17. Taihennami

Taihennami Well-Known Member

As it stands, you can effectively run with "remote control" or with the assistance of a shunter on the far end of the train, by using the external cameras. Press 3 twice and your camera will be tethered to the rear wagon, manoeuvre it to a point near the buffer beam and pointed in a useful direction, and you effectively have a banksman. Press 8 and you have the free camera, which you can put anywhere convenient. From these cameras you can even throw points, set handbrakes, and make couplings.