Frisco Clinton Subdivision - Late 40s

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, May 5, 2020.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Background: The St. Louis San Francisco Railroad, better known as the Frisco was a class I railroad that operated throughout much of the southern portion of the American Midwest. Their slogan "Frisco Fast Freight" was an indicator that they were very well known for just that. High speed freight service. A part of the Frisco's Northern Division, the Clinton Subdivision stretched for a little over 160 miles between Kansas City and Springfield, Missouri. While there are two major passenger terminals at both ends of the line the Clinton Division was very light on passenger traffic, with only two major passenger trains using the line. Those being the Southland and the Sunnyland (the General Wood used to run along the Clinton division until the early 40s before having its route changed completely and then discontinued several years later), though it is possible that there was commuter traffic along the line as well. What the line lacked in passenger traffic it made up for in freight. Much like the Nickel Plate, fast merchandise freights were the Frisco's bread and butter and took up most of the timetables on nearly all divisions. Springfield, Missouri was home to the main hub of the Frisco, the railroad's shops and corporate offices were all located there. In addition to that, Springfeild was a major division point on the Frisco, connecting with the Eastern Division which ran to St. Louis, and the rest of the Northern Division which ran South to Memphis.

Motive Power:
    The late 1940s was the start of a major transition period for the Frisco in terms of motive power. The railroad had fully dieselized by the mid-50s, so during the late 40s, many 1st gen diesels could be found working alongside steam locomotives.
    In the realm of steam, the Frisco used their fleet of T-54 4-8-2's for large passenger trains. These powerful but fast mountain types dashed all across the Frisco system with a variety of fast passenger trains. Their sharp exhaust and booming whistles have lead many to believe that they were among the loudest steam locomotives ever built. For local freights, the Frisco employed their fleet-footed 2-8-2 Mikados, many of which were built to USRA standards and delivered to the PRR in the late 1910's. Not wanting the Mikados, the PRR sent them back, and the USRA reassigned them to the Frisco, beocoming the USRA 1 class on the Frisco roster. The class of 33 engines continued to serve the railroad, heading up local and medium distance freights until retirement in 1952. The Frisco's fleet of large 4500 class 4-8-4s could be found on both passenger and freight trains during this era. On the Clinton Sub, they spent most of their time on freight duties. These beasts could haul large tonnage at high speed, thus living up to the Frisco's fast freight slogan. For switching the Frisco, like most railroads, used 0-6-0's for switching.
    For diesels, the railroad was acquiring many EMD F3 units for use in both passenger and freight service. These shiny new diesels were out preforming steam in nearly every aspect, espcecially when it came to maintenance costs. In addition to the F3s, the railroad was acquiring several of EMDs brand-new GP7s, which were also out-doing the steam power. During this time, the Frisco had split switching duties between the 0-6-0's and the new GE 44 Tonner.

Rolling Stock:
    Rolling stock on the Frisco consisted of what one would norally find on a Class 1 railroad in the late 40s, tank cars, 40ft PS-1 boxcars, stock cars, pullman heavyweights, etc.

Conclusion:
    Like some of my previous proposals, I believe this route would make for a great addition to Train Simulator as it once again allows for vintage high speed freight runs with some fast passenger runs sprinkled in as well. What are your guys' thoughts? Do you agree?

Clinton sub map.PNG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. andrew.umlauft1

andrew.umlauft1 Member

The Frisco would be do to the BNSF licensing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Oh that's right! I forgot that the Frisco ended up as part of BNSF. I guess the locos would have to be un-branded if they want to be sold globally. :/

• Like Like x 1
  4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Well that's what we got reskinners for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Anyways nice suggestion I like it

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

Buynot another solid choice my friend you know what i like to drive which is US trains! also, I want to see some big 6 axle frisco engines in TS 2021 soon!

• Like Like x 1
  7. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

The problem with the Frisco is that under BNSF and the problem is that it will be selled only on America and not Internationaly

• Like Like x 1