Fsr 2.0 On Series Machines

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Redbus, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just been reading how AMD’s Fidelity FX Super Resolution 2 is now part of the Xbox Series S and X development kits. This could be of great benefit for both consoles for relatively little effort on the part of DTG. Replacing TAA, it should allow full parity with high-end PCs in terms of settings on the Series X, all while maintaining a rock steady 60 fps. I am less familiar with the Series S but I’m sure much IQ improvement could be made there too. Really looking forward to see if DTG implements this, it seems a no-brainer and is sweet low-hanging fruit for a better game performance and customer experience.

2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

TBH, the Series S would probably benefit even more from it. In Cyberpunk 2077 when potatoofdoom's FSR2 mod came out, which replaces DLSS in the game with FSR2 for those of us on AMD hardware, I found that I got a 20fps increase running the game in high settings at 1440p on my laptop's RX 6600 with FSR2 quality mode over running it in FSR1, (which already got me an additional 20fps overhead over native rendering,) and with far less blurring than its predecessor, meaning fences no longer shimmer and flicker as they did in FSR1.

I even managed to get CP77 running at 60fps on a 5 year old RX 560 laptop using it! Admittedly on low settings and upscaling to a more modest 960p, but it's quite playable.

FSR2.0 could potentially be a great solution to many of the problems experienced when running TSW2 on Series S, as we could get a decent balance between the high resolution low framerate with frequent out of memory crashes mode and the low resolution high framerate mode, by upscaling from a lower render resolution and gaining an improved framerate and higher quality image.

*Edit* - as an aside, based on my testing and how I am able to run CP77 on my laptop at higher settings than it runs at on the more powerful graphics hardware in my Series X, I genuinely hope CDPR incorporate this into the patch coming with the expansion in 2023, as it should allow for modes which give Series S the ability to hit 60fps in that game as well as allowing the XBox consoles to run with things like crowd density turned up to max. Pretty sure a lot of these benefits would translate to TSW2 as well.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022