Fuel Consumption?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Dec 26, 2020.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Was just wondering if any of the diesel traction in TSW2 consumes fuel and where you can check how much is remaining. Convinced there was something on the HUD in TSW1 to show fuel levels (though I may be wrong) which isn't there in TSW2.

I know the routes are so short fuel shouldn't really be an issue, but if we ever get a decent save system that doesn't lose the timetable then conceivably going back and forth with the same traction you might need to keep an eye on it. And it goes without saying, if we ever get steam traction, coal and water levels both in the firebox/boiler and tender will be critical to the experience.

• Like Like x 1
  2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yes there´s fuel consumption. Normally next to the fuel tank cap there´s an indicator (digital or analog) where you can see the remaining fuel amount. Some engines like GP38 have the indicator also in the cab and others like AC4400 integrated in the desk displays.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-12-26 19-41-17.png

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-12-26 19-40-55.png

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-12-26 19-43-14.png

The point is that you have fuel for 3 lifes there compared to the required amount for the regular services. And sand is also infinite by the way... A nice addition would be to require more frequently a pit stop during services but according to the refuel points we have in the routes (normally at one of the depots in any of the line ends) this is not practical at the moment. In some cases you can find scenarios where you refuel either before or after service, but in few cases only.

As I always said here the overall maintenance concept is still missing in game. Depots and workshops should be used more than currently (we just park trains there). Trains some times come there daily for inspections or due to failures detected and we also need to wash them more than now, specially in the case of high speed, as very frequently the windshields are full of smashed insects or even birds :( This can be done at train wash tracks but they also do it at platforms directly just after train arrival together with the cleaning of passenger areas.

If someday we have steam then we will definitely need coal and water loading during trips.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. OldVern

Thanks Geloxo. I will have to check the tanks on the UK traction units as well, these usually have the gauge on the side no repeater in the cab.
    Presumably I'm correct in thinking there's no fuel info on the HUD.

4. dukeofgoa#9106

dukeofgoa#9106 New Member

Never could I ever had imagined this wouldn't be in the TSW3 I just bought couple of days ago...major disapointement specially on Steam Lcos!

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The Spirit of Steam route does feature coal and water loading, but just like other routes it is only for scenarios, I assume?

6. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity does anyone knows what happens when you run out of fuel in TSW? Does it game over like in TS Classic or something? I'd assume steam at least has some sort of failure state, or at least I'd hope it does.

7. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Did you actually read the thread?

That is an interesting question. I will not be the one testing it though, as it takes ages to do.

8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I believe someone actually did test this and the result is... nothing happens. The fuel gauge shows empty but the engine continues running.

Cheers

9. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

Having to keep the tanks topped up would be a great feature in the game. Especially if they can implement a pro mode that the seasoned players can turn on in the settings, to add a harder element to the game?
    Also for the seasoned player, a fuel management element to the game, that forces you to manage your speed and timings, so that you don't run the risk of getting stranded.
    Cajon Pass has a refuelling scenario. I honestly don't see the point in this scenario, because the loco is fully fuelled?
    10 mins to get to the fuelling point just to put the nozzle in the tank and take it straight back out again!

• Like Like x 4
  10. roggek

roggek Active Member

What it's more remarkable, is the fact that we have DCZ route with DB BR612, but no where to refuel them...:o

11. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

That's because the magical fairies fuel them ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Trains hold enough fuel for 1000 miles. Refueling is nog really necessary on a 50 mile route.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

Not necessarily. Class 47s had a fuel range of around 450 miles apart from the 47/8's which were fitted with dual tanks. From my long ago days in various traction co trol roles, Class 45 was 500 miles, Class 37 575 miles, heritage DMUs 550 miles. Sprinter traction around 1500 miles apart from the 150s on Cardiff Valleys which were 1150 miles due to stop/start.

Where we really need to see evidence of fuel consumption and remaining resources is on the Steam locos. At the moment it is entirely abstract and seems to be an unlimited supply with no reference to coal or water left in the tender.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

If you operate with manual firing, and you don't open the firebox door, you'll get a service failure.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Exactly, diesels aren't so much of a issue, but steam can easily run out of fuel well within TSW route lengths. As an example Smokebox's Big Boy & Challenger need to be refueled if you do a full max tonnage run on Wasatch Grade or Sherman Hill, the later of which exists in TSW mind you. Incidentally I'm also pretty certain the reason many towns are 50 to 100 miles apart in the US are usually because they served as water stops back in the day.

• Like Like x 2
  16. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The class 08 was developed in a time where dtg cared about every detail. You can see the fuel gauge is showing a consumption.
    You can even use the manual fuel pump and the main fuel tank shows a consumption too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldVern

Yes we could in theory take the Jubilee or 8F "Off the Rails" on SKW or Cajon which is going to push the capacity far more than the 38 miles from Crewe to Liverpool!

• Like Like x 1
  18. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Are the coal and water actually getting removed from the tender? After how many runs up and down would you need to refill them?

I've been playing on the manual fireman basically since the beginning (because I don't want to hear the safety valve), but I rarely do anything more than a single service in 1 go, so I'm not really sure if the water or coal are finite on these locos or would for example the water end on another run.

19. tbarryj

tbarryj New Member

Future scenario option: lineside refueling. The UP has taken, in some cases, to refueling locomotives via fuel delivery trucks at grade crossings. Maintenance & refueling depots are getting further and further apart these days, as the railroads cut back their own capabilities.

20. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Thats a BS, once you run out of fuel the engine stop and the train is not running anymore (maybe only AI will take over and run it as AI got disabled simulation). I did even scenario with that where you have 3 locos, each of them got some fuel and you need to complete the whole route run and save some fuel... each loco run out of fuel in different time and it worked fine like it suppose to work.