Fully Fueled Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by milkyroad#9273, Feb 1, 2021.

1. milkyroad#9273

milkyroad#9273 New Member

So this is a issue I had been going for a while now. I've completed this scenario/journey already once for the scenario. I now have to complete this in journey. The problem is I don't have enough power to get over the hill and I got lucky the first time as I only held down the sand key (x) for a half hour and got through. Now when I attempt that again it doesn't work. I then searched the internet and YouTube for the answer. I found several videos covering how to do it but the videos are all from August and September. I done those strat and it still doesn't work. I found these threads and sites that users gave me on Steam to help with:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/sand-patch-grade-fully-fuelled.26222/

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/guides/martins-sand-patch-grade-mu-guide

These aren't working. I tried them and I'm still going slow as others are going 20mph up those hills. The best speed I got was 17mph but it quickly went down to zero at 1.9% up grade 4.2 miles from the end. Once this happens I cant move and have to start over or from a checkpoint. As of writing this I'm averaging 11mph on a 1.5% up grade. Please if their is a more up to date strategy for this that can help.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's a question of having the locomotives properly set up, so that they are all contributing power to the train- do it wrong, and you're just dragging dead weight. This should help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7zeIn-Nshe7_bzqkd7hQg2QrV0G9xNvBevPoxTunA8/edit#gid=0

Conceptually, each coupled pair of locos works as a master-slave multiple unit: the controls in each trailing engine are shut off so that the lead of each pair is in charge. But since here there are two pairs, physically separated by the consist, control of the banking pair (that is, the lead loco of the back-end MU) is by radio (the banking comms*), so that locomotive has to have live throttle control. However, the brakes for the entire train are controlled from the front - the "brake pipe" is a continuous chain of air hoses from car to car - and so all locos except the lead should have their brake valves cut out (the manual is wrong).

*In more modern locomotives, you have actual radio remote control, but older engines like the Dash-2s in this scenario rely on a human crew in the banking unit receiving verbal instructions by radio; so in this sense the banking comms are a game abstraction.

(Tip: start at the back of the train and work forward; using Ctrl-Plus and Ctrl-Minus you can jump from cab to cab without walking for 3/4 of a mile. Also: turning on Banking Comms (lead loco only!) should be the last step before you start moving.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. milkyroad#9273

I did set up the locos according to those links and videos. I also do have banking comms on for the lead front only. But their is something interesting, when you save and load the train will loss all power and banking comms wont work. I will give this a try.

4. solicitr

Messed-up saves are a chronic problem in TSW; what happens is that engine configurations revert to their default state at game start.

5. milkyroad#9273

I dont know how but I did your strat and it kinda worked. I mean it felt like the same power I was receiving but it did got me through the 4.2 mile mark (which has 1.9% up grade). I thank you for your your help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I believe this, FINALLY, is on the roadmap and in production...after 3 years!! (un-fudging-believable)

The scenario is indeed a tricky one, but with the locos correctly set up, and a whole heap of patience, it's definitely doable.

Setting it up as per the link solicitr recommended, is the correct way to it, and will lead you to a glorious victory over the evil steep grades of SPG.

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

Quick note- I spent ages looking all over the cab of a Dash-2 for the Distributed Power fuse- there isn't one. That's only found in the AC4400 and C40-8

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Of course the banking com is nonfunctional in the C40-8W anyway.

• Like Like x 1