Game File Verification What It Does Doesn't Do - An Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Hayes, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I see in the forums that there has been quite a bit of discussion about Steam and the verification of TSC’s game files. I wrote this discussion paper - back in 2018, and posted it on the forums but got very little feedback and although I asked DTG to look and see if my assertions were correct or BS – I got NO response.

Simmers say that after a GFV (Game File verification [and any major update]) some of their 3rd party add-ons disappear unless there is a fault with Steam then that can’t happen.

Steam has no algorithm to delete files in fact it only reacquires any file that is different to its master database. If it is NOT on the master database nothing will happen (except that it is different for DLC prior to using .ap files circa 2014).

Simmers say that AP sound files are deleted – they are not. However, if Richard Armstrong altered the .ap file (which he doesn’t) then the .ap file will be reacquired. Check your Assets/AP folder it will not have been touched. (Note pre .ap files for AP add-ons may be overwritten.)

So here is my take on what happens after a Steam GFV – comments please and DTG can you verify of what I am saying is correct or otherwise?

What will Game File Verification in TSC do or not do

Game File Verification basically uses an algorithmic type of verification, and checks the TSC/TS20XX game files on your PC against a master database held on Steam:

· Will check all ".ap" files in Assets (usually DTG/RSC) and Content (DTG DLC only) folders and will reacquire them if they are changed in any way, including date and time. It will also check Assets files that are associated with official DLC, e.g. BMG, Oovee, etc especially where there is a ".ap" file structure.

· Will reacquire any .ap file that has been altered/edited in any way.

· Will reacquire any file on your PC that just has a different, DATE, TIME, and ATTRIBUTE to the Master Steam Database.

· Will NOT check or modify or replace/delete any third party addon, Assets, Content, route, scenarios, reskins, sounds, etc, e.g., purchased directly from BMG, JT, AP, DPS, etc. If subsequently purchased from Steam those versions can be checked.

· Will NOT check or modify or replace/delete SCENARIO outside the ".ap" file structure.

· Will NOT check or modify or replace/delete ASSET(s) files outside the ".ap" file structure.

· Will NOT check or modify or replace/delete any Workshop Scenario, route, etc

· Will NOT fix any errors that are not directly attributable to the running/operation of TSC/TS 20XX.

· Will NOT delete any file in TSC/TS20XX

In "Pre-.ap" Routes and Assets files RSC/DTG (and others sold via Steam) game file verification may reacquire any/all default base file(s) that has/have been changed.

Hence, some (a few) AP (early) enhancements may be affected, but not usually Sound Files, etc. Some UKTS add-ons may be affected. It just depends on whether a base file was altered or not. It will not check or modify or replace/delete SCENARIOS in these older items.

Game File verification does NOT DELETE any TSC file it only reacquires files associated with official DTG (RSC in the old days) DLC, and probably includes TS Marketplace items in some instances. In other words, reacquiring a file means overwriting a file on your PC that is different to the master database, but no file is deleted.

Game File Verification modifies/reacquires base default files that have been edited including edited and recompiled '“. ap" files.

I have no knowledge of ".ap" files that have been extracted and modified but common sense would dictate that these extracted files outside the .ap file structure would not be affected.

Game File verification will not fix any errors due to "corrupt" WS/3rd Party Scenarios or to a "corrupt" scenario database. These errors will only be apparent when you start or run TSC/TS20XX, and it initially halts and/or crashes.

Game File Verification will NOT check those routes/Assets that were purchased as 3rd party routes but if they are subsequently re-marketed by DTG vis Steam from, Just Trains BMG, DTG DLC (Wherry Lines, Malmesbury, 3 Corner Route, IHH add-ons, etc), and use the same GUID reference number then they will be checked, but if there are NO .ap files – nothing will change.

However, if these items were purchased later solely via DTG/Steam they will be checked. This would probably apply to the "pro-versions" introduced by DTG. The golden rule is if it has an .ap file structure, and it has a master database on Steam then it will be checked when you verify the game files.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I agreed with you then, I still agree with you now.. :)

3. Måns Johannesson

Måns Johannesson Member

A question: For routes that are not distributed as an .ap-file but as an ordinary file structure, will it replace changed files (for example time of days files)?

4. Peter Hayes

Mans
    If the DLC is pre .ap file ie around 2014-ish (but only DTG/RSC "official" DLC - not 3rd party) then any changes to that file including the date, time, etc then the file would be reacquired. However, do you mean the Time of Day modified files associated with AP Weather EP software - that is an interesting one. I have no clear answer but it would only affect older non-.ap routes and only if the route had a ToD file initially.

5. Peter Hayes

Reef
    Phenomenal Memory!

6. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Will put Peter. I have never had any issues with .ap files. I have been playing TSC since 2010.

7. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Still doesn't alter the situation with my files outside of the ap. file structures. they still are empty, fact.
    And it doesn't matter one jot how many of you say "it can't", it does.

8. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Fact: I just had a verification out of the blue, and I had to reinstall my AP track & weather enhancement packs. The Wherry Lines 2.0 update as well. Some enhancement packs are ok, e.g. the 150/1, but the 377 pack is gone... Very annoying, have to reinstall loads of stuff again. :/ It does touch extra content, like all my TimeOfDay folders are empty. It must have deleted them. DTG needs to fix this ASAP, as it never happened before.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Right well there appears to be two different things going on here...

Issue 1. Any content removed or altered that is either in an .ap or in any other official Steam bought DLC (i.e. routes/stock pre 2014) will be checked against the main Steam database and replaced/re-introduced, this also includes any other files altered within the RailWorks folder (for example HUD image .tga's in data/textures/frontend). This is known and has always been the outcome of a Steam verification (I'll get to this new forced verification in a minute, bare with me) which is why most if not all seasoned TSC simmers will never recommend this as a first course of action in fixing a TS problem (no matter what DTG may try and have you believe!).

Issue 2. As brought up by the two members prior to this post something seems to be removing files from the RailWorks folder, now I say "something" because I'm reluctant to pin the blame entirely on the Steam verification process as it's just not happening for others (me included). I genuinely do not know what is causing this but it definitely needs getting to the bottom of.

Right, said I'd get to it.... Steam automatically verifying TS content, whether because of a new DLC purchase or just out of the blue...
    This needs to be put a stop to with immediate effect it is quite simply breaking our game.

The automatic verification is a setting that someone has chosen to apply, I have a huge Steam library and this is the only game I play that automatically forces a verification, it therefore must be something that can be turned on/off.

DTG Jamie DTG JD DTG Matt TrainSim-Steve DTG Protagonist Anyone, I don't care if your loyalty lays with TSC or TSW you're DTG staff and this is a major issue with a DTG product, one of you need to respond or at least pass this on to someone who will, at least let us know you're looking into it.

If it has now been rectified and the reason I say this is because my last two recent purchases (Hudd line and the BMG black 5 pack) in fact did not trigger a verification, then please at least acknowledge that it was an issue and has been rectified, keep us in the loop DTG!

10. kurtosizm

Mine was a weird one, bought some MT coaches around 2PM, no verification. Then I realised I needed the 101 DMU for a scenario, so I bought that at 3:30 PM. Before Steam installed it, it did a verification. No idea how much stuff I have to reinstall, but it will take a couple of hours... Which I could've spent on actually playing.

11. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I've had the same problem as above with a verification deleting files.
    I think that *anything* that updates a file in the directories for Steam DLC, for example InputMapper changes, sound packs, manual tweaks to one of the Class 700 EP LUA files, weather and track packs, etc will need to be reapplied because the files will have been removed.

12. kurtosizm

Now that's even more scary... I've had this on my old laptop 2 weeks ago, and it happened without any reason, didn't buy a new DLC. Doing this again is shocking and terrifying - I mean reinstalling everything. Can we play the game 'offline'? Never tried.

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yes you can play offline. (Disconnected my Ethernet to test)

Just launched TSC (to confirm my above reply) and noticed my background image was reverted to the DTG original, checked in data/textures/frontend and it had been deleted? Wtf? This is the first time I'd launched TS today and Steam hasn't even done a verification? Nothing else appears to have changed.

Scratch that last, I figured out why it was deleting, I made the whole RailWorks folder read/writable (unticked read only in other words) but the background.jpg likes to be read only otherwise it apparently self destructs, I have no idea why lol.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  14. martschuffing

Just went back online and without verification, steam wanted to download 195Gb's!!! Just went offline again, DTG this needs to be fixed asap it is ruining my game!

15. martschuffing

Noticed you can't disable auto-updates for it now.

16. martschuffing

Knew I shouldn't have gone online my install is borked again, gotta spend hours unpacking and re installing third-party addons again!
    DTG I am very annoyed!!!

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have changed the folder structure to something you like
    But STEAM and the game is not set up like that so it Corrects It.

However it must be Steam or DTGs fault?

18. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I do feel for you having this issue, I would be horrified if my Railworks folder was decimated it currently stands at 875GB
    I just don't understand why everybody else does not seem to be suffering the same problem.
    My PC is constantly online when playing TSC, I have mullered the sales to death over the last few days and have not experienced any issues whatsoever.
    I appreciate this does not help you resolve your problems but may it be worth you trying another diagnostic investigation of your install as opposed to it being a global DTG problem.
    Just hope you can find a solution

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Martin changed his folder structure and Steam is correcting it
    Most of us don't do this and why we don't have the same problem

20. kurtosizm

I understand that you wrote 6,815 messages to this forum, and love defending DTG, but:

Just because you haven't experienced the problem, that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.
    I haven't changed my folder structure, unless Armstrong Powerhouse/Steam Sounds Supreme did; but I've had the same setup since April 2022, and this verification never happend before (unless I manually forced to do one). Then it started happening during Steam's Autumn Sale.

Now whenever I buy something, I fear that it goes back to the original non-modded state (I think I'm not the only one here who uses AP/SSS enhancement packs). I also don't use RW Enhancer, which might alter something... Just accept that other people DO have this issue, and be happy that you're not affected.

21. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well all I can say is where I thought a file was being deleted because of a steam issue turned out to be unrelated and is now solved (namely my background.jpg)

As for the file verification after purchase thing, well that hasn't happened for my last 5 purchases over the last 3 days so I'm hoping that got ninja fixed..

I (as others have suggested) recommend you look at what else could possibly be causing this too, don't just get hung up on it being DTG's or Steam's fault, just in case that's stone walling you from getting to the bottom of it.

Wish I could be of more help.

• Like Like x 1
  22. frankoi1337

frankoi1337 Member

Here is my personal experience : I wanted to reinstall the European Asset Pack a few days ago, so I went to Steam and unticked this DLC. That's where Steam started a complete file check, which I can confirm deleted every file that was overloading .ap stuff. I am now left with empty TimeOfDay folders for instance.
    I understand this is either a new behaviour of the file verification process, or the file verification just didn't use to trigger automatically. Either way, this needs to be fixed...

23. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

This is a user issue as others have said above. I have been on Steam since 2004 and have never had anything go AWOL. If you had something to moan about then it was the time it took for you to be able to play your game when you clicked on its icon may be up to 30 minutes sometimes if Steam wanted to verify something. I cannot remember what type of internet connection I had back then but either dialup or ADSL.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  24. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

We have no control over when, how or why steam does verifications. That's entirely steams decision.

If you are making custom mods to the game files then I would strongly suggest you copy the whole railworks folder to a new place outside of steam and run the game from there, they way it will never be touched by the hand of steam.

Any updates or new dlc you will need to apply yourself by hand but you can't have it both ways.

This does not bypass any copy protection either, I used to do this all the time to maintain separate installs for specific purposes rather than one giant install.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

About 18 months ago I went through all my routes and added a 2 digit number at the front of the route description, so the routes would appear in the order I wanted when in the TSC game menus.

Shortly after, the prefix numbers disappeared from the route descriptions, and the routes reverted back to the original names and order. (even the non steam ones).

Thought I had probably messed with something I should not off, so decided to live with the original description.

When logging into Steam and TSC on 23rd December last week, all the numbers have magically returned to the route descriptions. (I have not changed a thing!)

In TS Tools, and RWE2 the route description still do not have the prefix numbers.

Very strange - perhaps though it could coincide with DTG announcement that they are going to start looking at a number of issues in the "core" of the game?

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the post I quoted.
    Martin admitted he had changed the file structure from what Steam expects it to be.
    That was the main cause of his problem
    I don't know why it has affected other people if they have not changed or moved the *.ap files that Steam installs.

And regarding the comment about defending DTG, I will stick up for them if they are right but not if they are wrong.
    Some people change something in their own setup and then blame DTG when it does not work as expected.

I had not posted "6,815 messages to this forum" but to ALL the TSC & TSW forums.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

This doesn't explain why it doesn't do it for the many other titles in my Steam library, I have every DLC for both ETS and ATS and have never had a file verification unless I trigger one (which I haven't had to do either).

Wai.. Wait.. What!
    How the heck did I not know this was a thing? I've had copies of same games within the common folder of the Steam file structure GTA 5 being a prime example each copy running different mod sets and of course a vanilla but never even considered what you said would be feasible! I'm so doing this!

• Like Like x 1