Gameplay: Couple And Uncouple

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cramnor, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I would like to suggest a new game play feature for TSW, that has been discussed a lot before and I would like to give it a common platform here :)

Description
    I would really like to see a game play feature in the game to couple and uncouple trains (or, MUs more particularly). It could be implemented like a task such as loading passengers or stopping at a location. The task of the driver would be to bring the additional unit (e.g. from a depot or siding) to the place where the two trains should be coupled (e.g. a station or terminus), and then perform the coupling maneuver (with all the steps necessary, pressing the correct buttons, turn headlights off, open the through doors on 375/377 for example), and so on. The same should also be performed the other way round, i.e. uncoupling a unit and bringing it to a siding or depot.

Why would I like to see this feature?
    I think that this feature would add a lot along the following points:
    - Increased realism: Take HMA or GCC as an example. All day long, the same formation of trains is run across all services. In reality, that would not be the case. On HMA, night services would be performed by a single 4-car unit, off-peak services would be operated by a double 4-car unit and peak services would be operated by a triple 4-car unit of the BR423. Or on GCC, peak services would be operated by a double 3-car unit, while the rest of the time a single 3-car unit of the class 314 operates on the network. Right now, it seems like there is no feature to implement this in the game, not on GCC where it would need to be some timetable services due do it being a self-contained network, and not even on HMA, where the trains/consists could be changed in the portals when they re-enter the map.
    - Increased diversity: This game play feature could be a nice work around for missing rolling stock diversity, as for example on GCC. Understandably, not every train running through a station can be modeled for a DLC. But seeing different consists on HMA or GCC would add a lot more diversity to the routes, making them even more exciting and enjoyable.
    - Increased immersion: Seeing different train consists throughout the day would increase immersion so much, it would feel more like the real deal. And performing the coupling and uncoupling would also add to the immersion of feeling like a train driver, as this is one of their routines.
    - Interesting game play: This feature alone would provide some very interesting empty stock runs, shunting moves and actions the driver needs to perform. It would be a new type of game play, and I personally would LOVE to see and do these things in TSW. I think this feature would add more to the game than, for example, moving level crossing barriers, which are nice to have, no arguing about that, but it is a feature you never really get to experience when driving a train (well, hopefully at least, all barriers are closed when you pass them :D) However, this proposed feature would be something to actually feel and do in the game/sim, along all the points mentioned above :)

I have used HMA and GCC in my explanations, as these are prime examples on where this feature could be implemented and would add to the realism. While I am not a hundred percent sure how realistic it would be on other routes, I could imagine all routes with EMUs and commuter type services could benefit from this feature. For the German routes, RT, HRR, RRO, SKA, HMA and upcoming Dresden-Riesa are routes where I could see this feature implemented. For the British routes, GWE, ECW, SEH, GCC and upcoming BML are routes where I think this feature would benefit game play, immersion and fun a lot as well.

What do you think about it?
    To everyone else - what do you think about a game play feature like this? How would you like it to be implemented? Where would you like to see this feature implemented? What other opportunities and advantages do you think this could bring?

Looking forward to your comments :) Show your support and opinion with a like and comment, thanks :)

• Like Like x 8
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Should be in BML as IRL (pre-COVID) a lot of coupling and uncoupling occurred at Haywards Heath with services splitting from there to the South Coast. Similar happens at Faversham, and there is this function in SEHS but I believe it's done by the AI before you get to take over the train...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

When is L2B set ?

4. Cramnor

2011+ and with the Electrostars, there would be a chance to implement such a feature, I doubt all services will run with the same consists :)

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and this will be very useful for ECW and Brighton Mainline due to the combined train splitting into multiple sections to serve different destinations from London Victoria and Brighton.

• Like Like x 1
  6. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

I'd say 2016-2020 or 2021

7. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I think they're already working towards this, they brought in a similar feature on Diesel legends. Pretty much every loco-hauled service has to be coupled/uncoupled at Paddington within the timetable itself. So you can start in a loco at Old Oak common, drive to Paddington, couple up, then de-couple the loco at the other end, and then immediately take over that new service with the train you coupled up. Likewise you can arrive from Reading, wait around until the AI brings the loco from OOC to hook up to the other end and drive the same train back that way again. That's a useful foundation for understanding the specifics of building timetables that rely on coupling/uncoupling.

That said, on more modern and deliberately busy routes like BML, perhaps it is very difficult, so I won't expect it, but it would be nice if it ever did come.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't see why it would be difficult as such.
    The first train arrives three minutes before the second, The second has a time allowance to slow up, shunt forwards and couple up, both trains sit there for a minute, you do the pull test (make sure the front train isn't just going to pull away from the rear etc) and then the full train drives onto London
    Other way round, the full train drives down from London, you uncouple the rear MU and pull forwards a few feet. Then you either drive the front train onto one place or get out (AI takes over the front train and drives off) then three minutes later you drive your new (shorter) train off to another place

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cramnor

That's a good point, that would also be something very realistic and interesting to implement :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that one because DTG can mirror actual practice of BML Pre COVID-19 Pandemic.
    For a German route Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein-Main if made because ICE Line 79 from Frankfurt to Brussels gets combined with an ICE Line 78 Basel to Amsterdam via Duisburg Oberhausen Arnhem Railway for the Frankfurt Am Main Hbf to Köln Hbf section.