Gaming Pc's

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by joseph4850, Jun 1, 2020.

1. joseph4850

joseph4850 New Member

Hey guys,
    I've been looking at buying a desktop pc for a while for TS and other games, however I'm struggling to find one that will run TS to a high standard within my budget,
    does anyone have any suggestions as to what PC they have that was a good price and runs TS well?
    Thanks in advance

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Some idea of your budget might help and some more information about your requirements. If you're only interested in running TS, which is based on quite an old game engine and doesn't make the best use of the latest hardware, a relatively modest system or even a second hand one could do you nicely. If, on the other hand, you want to run other software or play newer games (TSW for example) the sky's the limit.

3. joseph4850

joseph4850 New Member

Well I'm looking at anything around £600/650; seller/manufacturer refurbished or new, I'm not too bothered .
    Specs is whatever's best reccomended

4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a new tower PC for well under £300 (without peripherals) that can easily run TS1, and possibly under £150 if you go for a refurb. The requirements to run TS1 are much lower than you might imagine. You can run it on a new £300 laptop (but it must have 8Gb RAM.... to cope with 4.5 Gb for Win10, plus 2Gb for GPU emulation).

So - unless you are planning on just playing TS1, Minesweeper and Solitaire... then I'd benchmark your new PC purchase against the requirements of any other modern game that you want to play.

5. Plastic Pal

A £650 budget would be easily enough for TS1. Do you need mouse/keyboard/monitor/DVD drive/Wifi/etc.....?

6. joseph4850

joseph4850 New Member

well I wouldn't mind being able to run other games such as COD, Rainbow Six Siege etc to play with friends from school, however my main focus is TS2020, I've been told its best to have an i5-8*** or above, same goes for i7. As for RAM I've been told its best to have 16gb.

7. Plastic Pal

Well, if you want to play COD for the next few years, at highest settings, then you could part with £2500 if you wanted to.... If you are getting a tower, I would go for 16Gb minimum - but I'd be tempted to go for 32Gb for the First Person Shooters... The FPS games also need bundles of VRAM, which TS1 doesn't really use.

Any chip with dual-core or above is fine with TS1. TS1 can't really use four cores.... ;-O

For the purpose of TS1 only.... there is merit in getting a much older PC, with a very high-speed quad-core chip (later chips have slower clocks because they expect the cores to be used). So you might pick up a refurb Dell for about £150.... here is one with free delivery, at £150:

"Gaming Ready with GeForce GT 710 1GB Dedicated Graphics Card (HDMI, DVI, VGA) included, Fast Intel Core i3 3rd Gen. 3.30 GHz, 8GB RAM Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, USB 150Mbps WiFi/Wireless adapter included "

I do not suggest you use the above PC for COD... but for TS1, it would be absolutely fine. Amazingly, it has got a GT 710 in there (1Gb VRAM).... The fast(ish) CPU is a key factor.... you could spend four times more, and get a 2.4Ghz chip... and waste your cash.... for the purposes of TS1...

8. Plastic Pal

Please note that "officially" recommended spec is:
    • Processor: Intel Core-i5 4690 3.50 GHz Quad Core or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.80 GHz Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM (maximum possible under 32-bit Windows)/16 GB or Better (For 64-bit Windows)
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 with 4 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
    • Storage: High Performance SSD Recommended with 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)
    And the official minimum official spec is:
    • Processor: Intel Core-i3 4330 3.50 GHz Dual Core or AMD A8 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Graphics with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
    • Storage: 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)

Note the high chip speeds. A later (more expensive) chip, with more cores, but lower chip speed.... will not be "better" in TS1 - it would be much much worse....

9. joseph4850

joseph4850 New Member

yes, I'm currently looking at AMD cores

Thanks for the help :)