Gcc Station Platform Lighting Far Too Dim And Wrong Colour

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jun 7, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I've just watched a snippet of the GCC livestream and I can see they are playing at night. One thing that I immediately noticed is that the station lighting is FAR too dim. Station platforms look VERY poorly lit as the light casted is very weak.

Not only that, but the actual bulb colour is wrong. These are NOT LED lights, so they should not be white, but the classic incandescent orange colour. There are plenty of pictures online of this, so there should be no excuse for these shortcomings.

TSW has a massive problem with night lighting generally being too sparse an non-existent, however these issues could've easily been avoided if done right the first time.

TSW:
    [​IMG]
    Real life:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 27
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

No, they shouldn’t. Us console users like to see what it looks like on console too!

• Like Like x 19
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This would be a terrible decision considering the majority of the playerbase is not on PC.

• Like Like x 7
  4. londonmidland

Enough of this console vs PC debate please. Regardless of platform, the fact is that the station lighting is far too dim and inefficient at night. Consequently it has the same issues as the 314 headlights.

• Like Like x 13
  5. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

I just get so confused when on streams DTG sais that lightning is not a priority... It should be instead of other things. Lightning is very important in a simulation and it brings very immersion to the experience.

• Like Like x 5
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

OK, so what is less important so they can drop the work on those things and get the lighting right?
    Sound, visuals, number of functions in the cab, PIS, ballast colour???

7. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

It might not nessecarily be a priority, but it's still attention to detail that you need to get right. It's the whole point of what being a simulator is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SprattyHeath

Was a mistake on my part, shouldn't have said that. Apologies

• Like Like x 1
  9. helderbrincolas

Livery designer per exemple in my opinion, that feature is not important in train simulator. Sounds, we all know that DTG can't get them right, they need third parties to save them always in that aspect. TSW doesn't have that many features in the cab and new trains don't come with any new features as well, and they even remove the feature of being able to change the destination displays, so they are offering less and less...

• Like Like x 3
  10. SprattyHeath

Livery designer was never meant to be used realistically, it doesn't offer much since there's only very basic tools at your disposal, although I would like to see some form of improvement to the controls as they're very messy

11. ARuscoe

So you would remove livery designer functionality from new trains in order that they have more time to work on lighting stations...
    You know they're different dev teams I presume...

Real answer?

• Like Like x 1
  12. pendolino18

pendolino18 Active Member

Personally I've never touched livery designer in game as it's not what I play for.
    I'm here to drive service trains following a realistic timetable not to put circles and squares on the side of a 314

• Like Like x 7
  13. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

It might be useful to compare it to TS2012.....? I actually find the environmental (and train) lighting in TS2012 to be far more ambitious than TSW - and since I like running at night, I actually find TS2012 deeply immersive in this respect. I love the way the station lights in TS2012 often have exactly the right colour temp (although the light they cast usually appears fully baked in). I will have a look on TS2012 and see if I can grab a screenshot of a Cathcart Circle station, next time I am on.

• Like Like x 3
  14. synthetic.angel

I would go further and say that lighting is more important than audio. That applies to all lighting.... but if it is a light that you actually control with a switch..... then it is extremely immersion breaking to see that physical action have absolutely no effect when you expect it to have an effect, and when you need it to have an effect to carry out basic functions in the simulator, like see speed limit signs. It's also simply disappointing, because your expectations are not met.

Environmental lighting in TSW has another crucial role - it adds to the replayability to run a service in various lighting and weather conditions, and you need these conditions to look right to enjoy it.

I would not be completely averse to seeing a more limited timetable (with six day/night time settings), so that lighting effects can be baked in, rather than completely dynamic. That said, such an approach is quite old school these days, and it should be possible to not rely on pre-baking everything at pre-determined time, and get a good result - other games manage it perfectly well, and on original PS4 and XBox One.

Lighting effects, even very limited and subtle lighting effects completely transform the environment. I am going to mention it again - the blue lights on the Dosto upper deck.... they have a range that penetrates your cab, and reflects off surfaces in your cab. And the steel mill flames in TVL cast a subtle red glow on the Class 37... these are wonderful things to see and experience.... they add so much life..... and we need much much more of it in TSW - as a basic feature of all builds, whether it is route or rolling stock.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. helderbrincolas

Same, and thank you

• Like Like x 2
  16. helderbrincolas

Exaclty, i complety agree with you. As an audio fan, this is my highest priority, but lightning is very important as well to give the immersion to the environment!

• Like Like x 3
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think this is an issue on most night lighting,there is not enough. I played Augsburg route at night other day in a sunny room. All I could see was hud. I get train lights are dim and I’m fine with that but I think it’s too dark.

• Like Like x 2
  18. londonmidland

This is an issue with TSW on all routes. There just isn’t enough ambient lighting placed on the map. The only lighting you typically only see are the station platform lights. Even then, they aren’t bright enough or spaced apart too far.

• Like Like x 9
  19. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I think we can assume that DTG can't do sound and lighting. Maybe they could use a third party like AP to do the lighting as well as the sound ;)

I really don't think it should be a choice but part of the route. Lighting certainly in modern games has become an important part of the make-up but going by this route and some others DTG seem to be struggling in this department as well as sound no?

• Like Like x 4
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

But with patience one can do a surprising amount with it, whether it was intended or not.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ARuscoe

If someone says "Hey, they should concentrate on this, it's important" that to me says "there's something less important over here, you don't need to concentrate on that..." hence asking.
    I'm sure DTG would love to know what's less important so they don't need to do as much work (note heavy ironic tone)

• Like Like x 3
  22. dhekelian

Looks like DTG find Lighting and sound less important then.

• Like Like x 3
  23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Matt has said on the stream that the station lighting is too dim and the light on the unit isn't quite bright enough.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

And has he said if they are going to fix it?

• Like Like x 3
  25. theorganist

He didn't but I wouldn't have expected him to commit to that live. I am sure if there is enough feedback about it they will look at it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. dhekelian

This is why I think DTG should fully commit to a DLC one at a time. If they release a DLC and then find problems then surely they should make a priority to the DLC so it is fixed for the people that bought it and for potential customers but no they will just acknowledge the problem and then turn their attention to the next project in this case it will be Rush Hour.

There are fixes that were done months ago still waiting for release and problems with DLC still not being addressed. Might just be me but I do not think it fair.

• Like Like x 3
  27. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Matt I’m begging to you to fixed the lighting issues shortly, because it’s a huge Dealbreaker and a Letdown when you can’t see anything in the Dark from the Train or on the Stations.

• Like Like x 5
  28. londonmidland

Can we please make sure the lighting is a bright orange colour on the platforms, as opposed to a very faint white colour please?

• Like Like x 6
  29. synthetic.angel

I didn't catch the whole launch day stream tonight, but in the part that I watched Matt twice said that the front lights on the Class 314 were not strong enough. You learn something new every day, eh....? ;-)

I am therefore assuming that the Class 314 lights will get fixed PDQ, and on that basis I will be buying this fabulous mini network of six routes. In fact, I am so happy about it, that I am going to buy the Class 101 timetable for GWE as well, because you know, I love the authenticity that it brings to the table.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  30. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

At this moment in time it just doesn't feel value for money, maybe once a loco dlc comes along I'll give them my money.

• Like Like x 3
  31. theorganist

Well he has said publicly that they are not bright enough so hopefully he will push for a fix, as an aside I never said they were bright enough, I didn't know whether they were or not. They seem to look better from the outside than from inside the cab from the screenshots I have seen.

The "1970''s" timetable for GWE should be right up my street but I think I have said enough about that to the point I was irritating people :)

It seemed to be decided after that it wasn't supposed to be realistic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  32. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I haven’t bought this yet mainly because I’m still hooked into Snowrunner. However the lighting seems to be an ongoing issue in all TSW routes, just look at NTP - huge cities which should be awash with ambient orange glow are almost pitch black. Glasgow is a massive conurbation, not a remote branch line in the pre electric light era and even then on a night with clear skies and full moon there would be more light than TSW portrays. So I will wait on the fence for this one, which I assume is going for the full £24.99 asking price, see if there are any QOL improvements and grab it in the Xmas sale (maybe).

• Like Like x 4
  33. theorganist

It seems with TSW that the railway part is usually nicely detailed but the world around is devoid of life and atmosphere. It lacks atmosphere which TS1 generally seems to manage better and even that is lacking in some areas.

• Like Like x 3
  34. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I can't think of a route where looking at the surrounding scenery I think to myself "this feels alive". I really don't know what they need to do to create a better atmosphere, my biggest worry for Brithgon - London Victoria is it'll feel soulless and devoid of life.

• Like Like x 3
  35. theorganist

I think just having people, even static people in the world outside the railway would help. More variety of cars moving about.

The West Somerset railway and its environs should be a hive of activity with railway enthusiasts on the stations and at the lineside, people on Blue Anchor beach, farmers ploughing fields, some actual livestock in the fields would be a start. Places like Leeds on NTP should be buzzing with business people, shoppers, lads (or lasses) on the end of the platforms with a notebook, something which was still very common on railway stations, especially large stations in the 1980's.

MSTS often got it right. I remember the Cambrian 2 route, driving along near Harlech and you see a diorama where a police patrol has stopped a motorist. If MSTS could include scenes like that on a commercial route in the mid 2000's why can't a modern up to date sim today do the same. It is probably TSW's biggest drawback.

• Like Like x 11
  36. dhekelian

I knew what you were saying and agreed with you, saying that there are mods to correct your main issues and so simple to activate without those I would not have purchased it either.

As for GCC I think it is too dark for me, I watched the stream where they said they acknowledged that light was an issue but as I feel asleep I don't recall them saying anything about a 'fix'. Did they mention a 'fix' at all?

• Like Like x 1