PlayStation German Freight & Pzb

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I am a massive fan of using PZB on German routes, but have tended to limit this to passenger services.

I haven’t played a lot of freight, so I don’t know what the general rules are in relation to it.

For example:

1. How do you know what mode to put PZB into?
    2. What the maximum speeds allowed for various freight trains?
    Would someone be kind enough to give me some assistance/advice on how to use PZB on German freight trains correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The actual calculation for the PZB modes is done via Bremshundertstel. You divide the brake weight of the train by the actual weight and then multiply with 100 to get the Bremshundertstel. To find the brake weight of cars or locos, you need to check all of the stuff written on them. I‘d only go into more detail here if you really want to do the maths yourself, which is quite time consuming without the documentation a real driver has. Once you‘ve done the maths, it‘s simple: Bremshundertstel >110 mode O / 110-66 mode M / <66 mode U.

The top speed of every German freight car in the game (except the container cars) is 100km/h when loaded - some can go 120 when empty. The container cars can always go 120km/h even when loaded. You can also find this information on the cars themselves. Again, if you want to see for yourself, I‘d be happy to go into more detail.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So on this basis, would it be right to assume that most German freight services in TSW 2 would use Mode M?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I actually can‘t say. I have to admit that I haven‘t calculated the PZB mode for any train in TSW yet and usually just go with my gut.

I know that this thread exists, however. I didn‘t actually read it, but there may be more information there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I always remember that Matt once said that all freight consists at least for MSB were set up with PZB U in mind in regards to the overall weight.
    Generally, you will never be at fault when using U, though it might feel slow being restricted to 100 kmh.
    Otherwise, you could do a test in which you accelerate to 120 kmh and do a full service break, and see if the train would be able to stop until the next main signal just to get an overall understanding of what your consist is capable of.

But generally, you can't go wrong with PZB U.

• Like Like x 2
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

After some experimentation, it seems that the dividing line for U and M in-game is 1600 tons train weight. You can of course try to read the writing on every car and do the full calculation if you want (meanwhile, you'll lose your timetable slot and fight red lights the entire trip.... RL German drivers get more than 30 seconds to prepare!)

Note that using Mode M does NOT necessarily mean you can do 120! In most cases, freight runs will go no faster than 100. This is because all the freight wagons modeled in-game are limited to 100 km/h vmax when loaded, except for the container flatcars. You can only do 120 when pulling those, or with a string of empties.

Well, yes, you can; because there can be all the difference in the world between braking down to 70 (not hard) and braking all the way down to 55 (often rather nail-biting).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Of course that is true, but I meant it in terms of that you are less likely to SPAD when going with PZB U even if you could technically use M.