German Freight Route...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paulc, May 12, 2021.

1. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Given the current PSN sale which is the best German freight route? I'm thinking RRO as it comes with the BR 185.5??

• Like Like x 1
  2. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Main Spessart Bahn is also a good shout. There's a challenging steep gradient which makes for a good run.

The route also adds services onto several other German routes.

• Like Like x 5
  3. johnathan015

johnathan015 Member

I would probably have to go with RSN as it has the 185.2, a selection of wagons, the 143 can do freight and passenger services I believe and then you have additional services with the 363 shunter and the 155 can sub in freight services too :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

The best route for German freight is imo Ruh - Sieg Nord, especially with the br 363 loco dlc. Another option would be MSB but it has horrible scenery and bad timetable. There's not much choice as a large majority of German routes are passenger focused.

You should know that RRO only has 13 short freight services and some of them have very weird routing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Excellent, do you know if it adds any freight layers to Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen or RSN?

Thanks for the info, can you elaborate on the weird routing?

• Like Like x 1
  6. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

Both RRO and MSB add freight services to SKA. RRO adds container trains, MSB adds mixed freight, petroleum trains, and car carrier trains. I think each DLC actually adds an equal number of services, so you could buy either DLC and still have the same amount of freight as you would if you bought the other.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

RSN and MSB are in my opinion the best for German freight. Grades, subtle bankings and curves constantly keep things interesting on these routes. Also more services and distance to cover than RRO and HRR.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

If it's German freight you're looking for, you won't get around buying both RSN and MSB at some point.

RSN
    I think this is the better route over all. It's rather slow (which doesn't affect freight) and very scenic. Perhaps the most important thing is the possibility of loco DLC. The Br 363 is brilliant and absolutely worth the money in my opinion. The 155 was (prior to the 101 release) easily the best German electric loco. It's got a very unique atmosphere to it and adds hevy coal trains to RSN which are loads of fun. TSG's Br 232 is also coming to RSN in the future.
    MSB
    MSB has got two distinct advantages. On the one hand, it adds loads of layers (mainly freight and Br 146 + DoStos) to other routes (including SKA). On the other hand, it offers a very steep gradient (the Spessartrampe) with banking services. These are unique to MSB as far as German content goes.
    RRO is very nice, but I wouldn't recommend getting it without owning RSN and MSB first. RRO is one of the routes that really benefits from MSB layers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Thanks Lamplight, thanks for making me spend all my pocket money :D

RSN, RRO & MSB purchased, the bargain price was too tempting!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lamplight

I mean, I did say
    but I didn‘t expect you to buy 3 routes at once :o:D

Seriously though, I‘m happy I could help you. With all 3 of these routes, you have an excellent variety of freight operations - the relaxed runs along RSN, the challenging gradients of MSB and the busy network of RRO. I hope you will find that your money was well spent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Haha you did warn me ;)

Tried out RSN last night and the 185.2, I love the route & the loco! I've decided to embrace German electric as currently there is no way to get any UK electric loco's, just need to get my head around PZB, SIFA is easy enough :)

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Lamplight

If it‘s any help, I‘ve been told that the links in my signature are helpful. The red one may be a bit less useful for RSN, but important for RRO and MSB and absolutely essential if you get HRR at some point.
    I wish you a lot of fun with German electrics and wish you luck in learning PZB :D

• Like Like x 1