Glasgow Subway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by opgames, Jul 5, 2021.

?

???

1. I like the suggestion

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. I don't like the suggestion

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. opgames

opgames Active Member

Stations.
    (here is the map instead)
    [​IMG]

Train.
    The Glasgow subway only has one train sometimes appearing with 1+ coaches with a special livery. Or it can also be seen operating with all 3 coaches driving trailer.

[​IMG]
    (Coaches 1 and 3 are special liveries, coach 2 is regular.)

[​IMG]
    Here is the interior (Note in the drivig trailers, the poles are silver.)

[​IMG]
    Here is the interior of the middle coach (Note the only difference is that the poles are orange here.)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think this would be a fun addition to the game for a quick run or two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It would be fun but might be the sort of route you play a handful of times and seldom return to due to the lack of variable gameplay (you're always driving in one direction or the other calling at all stops in continuous tunnels).

4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It would be a nice little add-on, every route counts, after all.
    I'd personally pay the price (i'd say this should be the price of a loco plus a couple of quid) just for the fun of being able to drive the only subway in my nation.

And I've used this ever so many times, due to the Pandemic I've only used it twice in 2 years but i still love the subway.

Fun Fact: the Subway is the only place in Glasgow where an Umbrella is not a life essential!

• Like Like x 4
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and why not make the new trains standard then the 1980s Train DLC.
    Video is by Geoff Marshall of New Glasgow subway train.

6. trainsimplayer

I'd personally object to the new stock.
    They haven't entered service yet and the old stock have a much stronger connection with the line.

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

How about a DLC option then since it is ATO Capable the route will play like Haputstrecke München Augsburg S-Bahn LZB which means you have another train right behind you. Not sure if they already put in automatic train operation since the 1980s when they rebuilt it? If so then this combined subway with HMA

8. trainsimplayer

Firstly the "combined subway with HMA" makes no sense.

Secondly, no, the route doesn't have ATO with the current stock.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Would ATO really matter though? Most ATO enabled trains have the provision for manual driving and in an AI controlled sim it wouldn't really look any different when AI drive the trains anyway until you take control.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It does - the current trains are Level 2 ATO and have been since new - The new trains are planned to be Level 4 when Platform edge doors are installed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Just took a look at this video:

TBH, it looks to me that this would be too short, and there is no overground section. Don't get me wrong, just watching the video makes me want to go to Glasgow just to walk around and take a look. Not just because of the subway, but because the outside looks great too. It is just not good for TSW because we would be limited to being inside the subway and it takes only 20 mins to go around.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. driverwoods#1787

AI Controlled without the player driving it's ATO Level 3-4 but if controlled by the AI then the player takes over ATO Level 2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the rain will find its own way!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackunion

jackunion Member

I’d imagine Glasgow Subway wouldn’t take too long to do. I’ve managed to build it block by block in Minecraft haha. Yes I know, not the same before you take me too seriously.

I remember many years ago BVE Simulator had the Glasgow Subway. Depot - two loops on the inner circle - terminate at Govan and into Broomloan depot again.

Could actually make this interesting with rush hour crowds and some scenarios.

Ideas for scenarios:
    Outer Circle football specials:
    Leave the depot onto the outer. Pick up crowds at Buchanan St, St Enoch and Shields Rd park and ride and drop them off at Ibrox before the match. < driver meal break - skip to after match> pick up crowds at Cessnock and Ibrox, and drop them off at stations north of the river.

Inner Circle would be the reverse of this. Scattered crowds at stations north of the river getting off at Ibrox before the game then Ibrox and Cessnock being busy with passengers heading to Shields Rd P&R, St Enoch and Buchanan after the match. Match day scenario would lead to erratic signals at stations and in the tunnel near the depot due to trains getting held up and extra trains entering the loop.

Rescue mission. A train breaks down. One of the circles would need to close for the train to be towed back to the depot.

Irregular operations: Start your duty by taking over an in service outer circle train at Govan. A major storm has flooded the outer tunnel at Kelvinbridge station ahead. Terminate at Hillhead, turn the train around and wait for clearance to proceed empty the wrong way down the outer tunnel. At Broomloan depot junction switch over to the inner circle, and operate a full loop on the inner to assist with capacity, bypassing the closed Kelvinbridge Station.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2