Gloucester To Birmingham

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rob39, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

55 miles Either in Arriva Cross Country or Intercity XC timeframes.
    Banking up the Lickey incline with Tanks, steel and hoppers ,Express services, local stoppers, mail trains.
    Modern era Class 66, 60, 43(mtu) ,220,170
    90s era Class 47,37,31,43(valenta)158.
    If it was possible to purchase the Cross Country licences. A very popular dlc could be done with a tweaked GWE MTU. A new Voyager model in 4 car, 5 car and 5 car double up config. The EWS 66 and subbed Freight from TVL, ECW,GWE,NTP. Could also add the ECW railtour service maybe.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Trim

Trim Active Member

This has the makings of a very good route indeed, with the 2-mile long 1 in 37.7 (2.65%) Lickey Incline in the middle of it, but I suspect it would be too long/involved for what DTG appear to want to produce for TSW. Gloucester to Birmingham New Street via the Worcester avoiding line and Five Ways is 52 miles. It would seem obvious to include Worcester/Droitwich (13 miles) and (possibly depending on the era) the Camp Hill line (6 miles) as well. Since I think it inconceivable building this route and then not including the Birmingham Cross City local trains to Kings Norton and Barnt Green, it would seem a shame to then omit Redditch (6 miles).

The route could, of course, be made shorter by ending it at Cheltenham rather than Gloucester, which is probably a better option given how few trains stop at Gloucester.

The variery of stock needed appears to be rather daunting, depending on the era chosen. However, I think it is definitely worth further discussion. I wonder what era would appeal the most. For me, I'd choose 80s with Peaks (46s mostly) and regular banking (though not on daytime passenger trains), but this is probably too close to NTP.

3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Cross city 323
    Cross country 220/221 4,5 and 10 car formation.
    Cross country 43
    Subbed class 66 services and banking.
    Subbed TVL steel freight
    Subbed GWE containers, hoppers.
    Subbed ecw JNA
    Railtour service scenario featuring 33,40,45,47,52 leading a 10 coach rake of mk1s.
    Scope for more rolling stock dlc.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1