Going Fast/pause/going Fast Again?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Mar 30, 2022.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Has anyone experience this your going fast for awhile and at some point your train pauses for a split second and then resumes moving at your current speed.This effect completely ruins the experience by doing something that you can't just ignore.

This is something i have only seen recently happening.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Its called stuttering

3. cspencer553.cs

cspencer553.cs Member

Yes its happening to me on series s ,i was hoping all the updates recently downloaded would have fixed it,sadly not

• Like Like x 1
  4. madmatt213

madmatt213 Member

Essentially, that split second pause is the game asking itself what can be removed to make room in RAM to stream in new data. On recent streams, Executive Producer Matt said that the pause is generally caused by the game removing the world behind you that you've driven through. I believe it's a quirk with Unreal Engine 4.

[edit]

Since you mentioned that you are using a Series S, it might be more noticeable/common for you than it is on my Series X. Since the Series S has less RAM, your game will most likely need to clear RAM space more often. Aforementioned Matt has been playing TSW2 on his personal Series S at home during his off hours and streaming the experience, which is when I remember him talking about how the game clears RAM space and has the hiccup you are inquiring. He has made it a priority to troubleshoot and have the team solve the RAM issues related to Series S, so hopefully they may be able to decrease the amount of pauses/hiccups/stuttering you are seeing. I don't think it can go away fully, as I think it is an issue inherent to Unreal Engine 4, and how it deals with offloading unnecessary assets saved in RAM.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The UE4 shader compilation stutter should only happen the first time you play a route, as the game should retain the data for future runs, however it needs to do it again every time the game patches, which with TSW2 is frequent.

However the pause when streaming new "chunks" of the world from the drive into memory is something that devs have been working on disguising for years, think back to all the console games which had an animation every now and again of your character opening and walking through a door. That's where the loading stutter as it despawned the area two chunks back from you and began loading the data two blocks ahead from the DVD was being masked. In these times of incredibly fast SSDs, the worst of it's been pretty much eradicated, but it still sometimes happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I just cross my fingers when the stutter happens that I dont get the whine noise of death of the crash!

7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It happens very rarely, with the stutter being very short in lenght, not really an issue in TSW2.

Series X

8. SHINO BAZ

Here's the thing about this 1st i'm on a xbox one and 2nd this only started after one of the last few updates,before that this hadn't happened to me.

9. SHINO BAZ

So has this been addressed lately because i haven't notice anything more then a split second pause now and then and no noticable longer pauses like before this.