Graphics Help/advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bilirubin, Sep 21, 2021.

1. bilirubin

bilirubin New Member

Good evening,

I would like to upgrade the specs of my desktop PC to improve the visuals when running TS2021. They are not bad and at the moment and don't spoil my enjoyment but I feel I could do a lot better.

My rig is 4 years old and has been used for gaming as well as household items, however we have just bought a laptop so I have removed everything household from the desktop making it exclusive for TS2021.

My thinking is I may need a bigger/better CPU for a bit more grunt and a better graphics card however maybe just a graphics card will do hence this post.

My PC specs are:
    Hard Drive: 250gb SSD with 170gb usable space (This is new and less than 10 months old)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2, 10 complete cores, 4C + 6G, 3.1GHz
    CPU: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, Ultra Durable/Duel Graphics
    Graphics Card: GT730 (Looking in the PC this is tiny compared to the latest cards?)
    RAM: 8gb, 6.95 gb usable
    PSU: Corsair 600watt (This is new and less than 10 months old)
    Operating System:
    Windows 10

As you can see the SSD & PSU are less than 10 months old plus the case is good so I would like to keep these and look at other areas to improve.

Any thoughts and or suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Hi GallBladder

I'm surprised that that disk is still working OK with only 1.7GB free space even SSD's need around 5-10% free space to function properly and for Windows to run its TRIM command. You need to free up at least 20Gb of space if possible.
    8Gb RAM is too low for the 64-bit version to run efficiently 16 GB is much better.
    Video Card - do you have enough space on your motherboard to insert a newer type of card - may new cards occupy two slots on a mobo and can be quite long. It may depend on your mobo if is it full size or say micro-ATX?
    The motherboard is a low-end board and may not be able to handle a more powerful cpu - check that before buying.
    These are just thoughts for you to consider, RAM and a video card could be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilirubin

bilirubin New Member

Hi Peter and thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the confusion re the SSD it was a typing error, I meant to say it is a 250gb SSD with 170gb free, I still have my music and a few other bits on the PC and 'System' in the 'Control Panel' is telling me these are taking up 31gb so once I have moved them across to the new laptop I will have 200gb of free space which is more than enough.

I will look into your other suggestions and see where it takes me.

Many Thanks