Great Central Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by class66fan1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. class66fan1

class66fan1 Member

I believe the Great Central Railway has been ignored a fair bit for Train Simulator, with the only sections I can find being the now preserved Leicester-Loughborough on Steam Sounds Supreme and also the Woodhead between Sheffield and Manchester.

The section I think would be great is the 'London Extension' that ran alongside the Metropolitan line through Buckinghamshire and the picturesque Chilterns. It separated at Calvert and then ran on it's own to Rugby where it ran over the WCML and headed north through Lutterworth to Leicester where the now preserved section begins.

The section I believe will be more preferable for TSW would be the Aylesbury to Rugby (or Leicester) as that is the section with the most variety of surrounding scenery and traction. North of Leicester has mostly been incorporated and south of Aylesbury is a straight forward mainline to London (Although Marylebone-Aylesbury would still be interesting).

[​IMG]

Full GCR Route map. Section from Aylesbury to Rugby would cover plenty of track but if it is possible running it all the way to Leicester would be even better. It would create possibilities for long-distance mainline services as well as more suburban stopping services between Aylesbury and Quainton Road/Verney Junction.

[​IMG]

This is the network of lines around the southern section of the potential Aylesbury-Rugby/Leicester route, some of which could be included such as Quainton Road-Verney Junction for stopping passenger scenarios off the mainline.

If Marylebone-Aylesbury seems more of an option, perhaps consider having the main route through Amersham and Aylesbury as it would have a wider variety of stock including met services as well as GCR stock. This would allow for mainline fast passenger services as well as stopping met services.

Locos for the route would be Britannias, 9Fs A3s and V2s along with various met stock.

I think this route would be a brilliant addition for Train Sim World as it would introduce Steam to the game and would give some recognition to the GCR as it used to be.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

it was incredibly odd opening this to see my old home village on it - considering my parents live right next to the station.....(hint: between Nottingham and Loughborough) but screw it, good proposal.

• Like Like x 1