Great Fun But Now Stuck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by KbdNoOni, Feb 16, 2020.

1. KbdNoOni

KbdNoOni New Member

Hi,

I got the humble bundle and have enjoyed working my way through the academy but now what?
    I am struggling to make sense of what to do next.
    The list of scenarios is in alphabetical order so no clue where to go there and all seem much too difficult for a beginner.
    I finally found the Riviera Line in the Fifties 01 which seemed to be the next step but then what?
    There was a cryptic note that popped up at the end but was gone before I could make a note of it

Help, please.

2. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New Member

Hi - Did you get sorted? I have completed the academy set of 8 tonight and will probably get stuck like you!
    Ben

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You go in to the Academy to learn to drive each type of train.
    Then from the main menu go to the Drive section
    You can now chose which route you wish to drive over - to start the best option is the Quick Drive.
    With quick drive you -
    choose the loco you want to drive
    choose the route you wish to drive
    choose which are the start and end stations
    You will normally have clear signals and you choose where to stop your train - no points to gain or lose
    Just think of it as practice in getting to know how to drive.
    Unlike a Car a Yellow light does not mean go faster - it means the next Signal is Red and you should slow down to stop at it
    If you have the HUD on, F4 key, it shows a map at the bottom of where you are, the signals and stations that are coming up.

Next in the Drive Menu are Career and Standard Scenarios where you are given a driving job and the tasks you are expected to do

Peter

4. KbdNoOni

KbdNoOni New Member

No, still not sure where to go next so I've taken to sorting by difficulty and just choosing the easy ones for now.

5. KbdNoOni

KbdNoOni New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply and with useful stuff too.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This isn't like a normal game where you have a start point, a progression and an end. This is a simulator so the academy only shows you the basic functions of a basic system, but you could find that there are diesels out there which work nothing like the one in the academy (there are, such as older trains which have gears), or engines with loads of controls, those with different braking systems, shunters etc etc

So rather than thinking "what do I HAVE to do next?", think "What do I WANT to do next?"

Do you want to drive steam trains through Germany or Southern UK electrics. Do you want to drive the very first transcontinental train in teh US or a Japanese bullet train. These are all available (for a price) and there's even more content in third party addons and DLC (ie not made by DTG)

You could even find you don't get too much pleasure from driving, but like to design and make your own reskins, or program your own scenarios...

So yeah, less of a "scripted game", more like a hobby where the limits are your patience, skill, knowledge and size of your wallet
    I have collected all of the UK content bar a couple of bit from Steam, a lot of APs content etc and spent over a thousand pounds on this hobby over three years...

7. d_neuneu

d_neuneu Member

i bought humble bundle too and i began with Miami route, it's a quite flat one, so it's easyier with less difficulties than other routes
    go carrier and go all carrier mission with gold star, that's my goal on all my routes, then i download some workshop scenarios and try to succeed them, some creators are very talented, i think about not.silent ( N.S number ) plenty of traffic, well thinked scenarios, more than 500 creations.... go try them.